• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$66mm dark knight BO

166 posts in this topic

UPDATE:::

"Dark Knight," playing in 4,366 runs, should earn north of $230 million in its first week. Current record-holdover for best opening week is "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," which earned $196 million in its first seven days.

previous 1-week record = $196 million

New Bat-record ------------- $230 million!!

Well I saw it today and it was OK but didn't blow me away.

Christian Bale trying too hard to do an imitation of Clint Eastwood everytime he was doing his lines in Batman costume was very distracting, but as an entertaining movie I got what I paid for :grin:

dk.jpg

Wifey and I saw the movie last night. I recently made her watch Batman Begins to be up to speed. General impression was that it was really good. She says that she started tuning out about an hour from the end. I agree that Bale's "gritty" voice faded in and out and was distracting. A little too much Batcycle. But I liked the fight scenes. The plot was not too confusing for the non-fanboy while still rewarding those who are. I only had to answer a few questions during the movie for my wife. My biggest disappointment is that there was not an Imax showing it in town.

Spoiler in white:

The two-face stuff could have been shortened. Didn't see a need for the lengthy hostage scene unless you're enamored with the idea of the hunting Batman storyline for the next movie. I was very surprised that they offed Dawes.

With where the movie ended, it's hard to see how they get by without the Joker going forward.

Well I saw it today and it was OK but didn't blow me away.

Christian Bale trying too hard to do an imitation of Clint Eastwood everytime he was doing his lines in Batman costume was very distracting, but as an entertaining movie I got what I paid for :grin:

dk.jpg

I saw it today and agree. It wasn`t a feel good movie, when I left Iron man and Indy 4, I left feeling pretty good about the world,on the other hand Dark Knight was a pretty dark Silence of Lambs type movie.The Joker and Harvey Dent are the stars here,Batman came off as a unlikeable character. It was also way too long. 2 and a half hours is a long time to sit in one spot.It will break records but I rather see another Indy or Iron Man movie then see Batman again. too dark and depressing for me.

i wouldn't sit thru indy again if they paid me. has to be one of the worst movies of the year. godawful boring.

I took my 7 year old son to see Indy 4 and Iron Man and he loved them, he wants to be a archaeologist and a inventor like Indy and Tony Stark when he grows up. I will not take him to see Batman the Dark Knight, it`s too violent for him.Dark Knight was a good adult movie. no Adam West there.I took my wife to see it and she liked Hancock better, Hancock made her laugh. The question is did people go see Batman or go see it for Heath Ledger`s performance? This will be a interesting movie to review in 6 months once the buzz dies down. When I left the movie I felt Batman`s turned into a mean constipated Wolverine. The most likeable character was Harvey Dent, I think he steals the movie. any thoughts or comments on Hollywoods blockbuster?

Okay, I finally saw the movie, and while it is pretty good, TDK is a bit over-hyped and not to the quality many of the Net Nerds would have you believe. Some of Heath's scenes are great, like the nurse one, but that's more great writing than anything else. That scene would be good with 10-20 other actors in the role - though I do give Ledger kudos for picking a killer part. Still, it was a good way to spend a few hours.

Now, my only question is - WTF IS UP WITH BATMAN'S MASK/HELMET?

It looked like a freaking bowling ball. lol

"Oh no, watch out, here calls Bowling Ball Head!!" doh!

i wouldn't sit thru indy again if they paid me. has to be one of the worst movies of the year. godawful boring.

The question is did people go see Batman or go see it for Heath Ledger`s performance?

Do you really think there are people going to see the Dark Knight for Heath Ledger's performance?

I sure don't. None, zada...nobody.

I was overall disappointed. Not Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer disappointed by any means. It's just one very depressing movie overall.

It has some extremely good points, and suspense, but jeez, if there was a rating between PG13 and R that went to movies that were just bizarrely creepy and disturbing, this would qualify.

Of course, I know, that's a good thing.

(shrug)

The question is did people go see Batman or go see it for Heath Ledger`s performance?

Do you really think there are people going to see the Dark Knight for Heath Ledger's performance?

my co worker only went to see dark knight for heath's role.

The difference between this movie being just a regular box office blockbuster and it being a recordbreaker with massive buzz is the people going to see the movie for Ledger's performance. My impression is there are a lot of people seeing this movie globally who normally might not be caught dead going to a comic book movie.

I didn't go see it for Ledger's last performance. I saw it because the character the Joker is in it. If there was no Joker probably wouldn't have seen it in a theater. I have to watch it again but the only time I saw Batman Beings I didn't really care for it. Liam Neeson and Ra's Al Ghul didn't do much for me. Also the fight scenes were lame. I guess they were trying to show how Batman just pops up and then disappears after a few blows, but I'd like to see a little choreography. I only have the full screen version so, it will make these scenes even worse. As for Dark Knight to be honest I really didn't give a mess about when Batman or Bruce Wayne was on screen. I kept waiting for another Joker scene to pop up. I didn't want to take a bath room break for fear of missing a scene with him. Perhaps they should have done the movie from the perspective of the Joker, since a lot of others are saying they didn't really give a mess about Batman in this film.

It was a good film but it didn't stay with me like some of the great and memorable films do. As far as people going to see it for Ledger's performance, that's only natural and I'm sure the bean counters are loving it. Hope his estate gets a percentage. Put this film next to a movie like The Godfather or even Planet of the Apes and it disappears after a few days. No disrespect intended for the artist involved.

uh, I think over half of everyone wnet to see Ledgers performance. It got most of the press for months now. And now th erest go cause its the number one grosing film to see what the fuss is all about.s

I don't believe for one second that half the people going to see Dark Knight are going to see Ledger.

Did I discount his female fans with my flip comment? yes. Did I discount his male fans with my flip comment? yes.

But half the people wouldn't have gone to see this movie except that they said to themselves "I've got to go witness Heath Ledger's remarkable performance as the Joker?

Please.

uh, I think over half of everyone wnet to see Ledgers performance. It got most of the press for months now. And now th erest go cause its the number one grosing film to see what the fuss is all about.s

I don't believe for one second that half the people going to see Dark Knight are going to see Ledger.

Did I discount his female fans with my flip comment? yes. Did I discount his male fans with my flip comment? yes.

But half the people wouldn't have gone to see this movie except that they said to themselves "I've got to go witness Heath Ledger's remarkable performance as the Joker?

Please.

I think they did. We are comics fans, but we cant start to believe hat we are more than a tiny minority of people who go to see movies. So these civilians are compelled for different reasons to see a particular movie. This film became an event. ALL they read and heard in the weeks leading up to opening day was Heath Ledger as the Joker. This wildly favorable publicity pulled out all those people who saw the last Batfilm to see what the fuss was about, and had decided once was enough. Enough time spent with a guy in a batsuit.

So Im saying that w/o the excitement and critical acclaim of this films unique feature, Ledger's Joker, they would have stayed home.

Same idea with Iron Man. He's no Spidey, but word spread that Downey's part was over the top and worth seeing, even in another superhero exercise.

Dont overestimate the draw of superhero movies. By and large I do not believe "people" like them that much, but they go because right now these are the films Hollywood is playing their A game now - - budget wise. These are the films to see for "new stuff" as only Hollywood can create it. In this case, they stumbled on a killer effort by Ledger. Which was enhanced critically by his untimely death as his last greatest performance. That brought out enough ticket buyers to put what woudl still have been a decent grosser (like Bat Returns) into a Must See Phenomenon.

Maybe there will be data at some point listing peoples reasons for seeing it. Im sure WB has it in their pre-release Want To See polling numbers.

Even as a comic fan, I still went to see it in the theater because of Ledger. Otherwise I would have waited for the lines to cool down, and potential gone to a discount theater to save a few bucks and get some elbow room.

I can't see non-fans being totally unaffected.

maybe you just dont believe the 'half' number. Maybe not really half then... if thats where the disagreement rests. Quick math would be to take 75% of what Batman Returns opened at as the expected fall off for this sequel according to accepted Hollywood stats for sequels. This film opened to 158 for the weekend, I dont remember what Returns did. But I was thinking 158 was roughly twice what 75% of what Returns comes to.