• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toronto Comicon - big success!

118 posts in this topic

Just got back from the Toronto Comicon three day show this past F-Sat-Sun. What a blast!!! Kevin and Peter did a great job of getting a really nice selection of dealers (amongst whom was cgcmint) and guests. They had a nice stable of Canadian dealers but also had several US dealers in attendance. From what I heard the US dealers had phenomenal shows as the mostly Canadian crowd (although besides this new Yorker there were 2 people from Mexico and a gentleman from as far away as Australia) got to see some new inventories. The A guest list was quite impressive and is where I spent most of my time. I had the opportunity to get over 10 sketches from people such as Ty Templeton, Kaare Andrews, Mike Kaluta, Dave Ross and Darick Robertson amongst others. It was great. As a nice complement there were several thorough panels given by the guests. I enjoyed the Kaluta / Starlin / Rogers panel – tons of fun.

In con related events Saturday had a charity auction which raised over $4,000 CAN. They had a tremendous assortment of original art and some great cgc books and a raw Batman 608 RRP which was the highest grossing item. Over 200 people were in attendance for the bidding. After (during) the charity auction on Saturday night was the forum dinner and the after party at a local bar/arcade. It was really cool and an awesome idea to have a party at an arcade. Almost all of the artists were in attendance.

I didn’t get the chance to go to the forum dinner, but I did get to meet several board members. In addition to kevthemev (Kevin) and paradisecomics (Peter), I was able to meet Alex, Comicwiz/Dadista, Cgcmint, Beyonder, Wasonoff, Comicmanager, Hogations and ecfan. CGC was represented by Paul Litch. I really enjoy meeting other forum members and this show had a great following. Actually, one thing that really impressed me was the amount of people in TO who were so loyal to Paradise Comics and the close nit community that Peter and the gang have been able to foster up there.

I can’t say enough how much fun I had and I will definitely be up there again come June. I would really think seriously about going as you would get a really good selection of new dealers (ie the Canucks who don’t do the US shows) and the guest list was really A class talent who care about their fans and actively seek their input.

Thanks so much to Kevin and Peter for all their hospitality this past weekend – you guys really made me feel like part of the Paradise team.

DAM

Glad you had a great time up here in Toronto dam60! Saturday night was a lot of fun - it was neat watching Jim Starlin and Marshall Rogers play air hockey against some of the locals cool.gif

I wish I had more cash to spend at the show - as there were definitely good deals to be had. It was great meeting up with everyone, although I'm sorry I had to duck out a little earlier and not meet up with everyone.

Pics are coming!! As I am the only one in the whole entire world without a digital camera OR a scanner insane.gif I am having the pics developed now and put on a CD. I should have them by 5. When I get them, I'll send them to you so you can host them for me? flowerred.gif

DAM

I'll host them for you...but chromium is jonesing since he needs forum member head shots to photoshopically graft onto his latest Victoria Secret catalog...what he does with it afterwards, I really don't want to go into, as it may warp some children's minds on here.

I should have some pics of the guests in about a week or so. I took about 12 shots on Sunday (after I managed to get some film), and will post later in the week.

I also had a great time meeting everyone and will do my review of the artist alley, and the dinner, and the party, when I get enough time to write something substantial.

I'm also hoping to post some scans of the sketches I had done. There is some awesome stuff here.

And Dave, Kaare Andrews did do my Wolverine sketch for me. It took him until 7:00 PM, but he finished everyone's sketch for them.

Alex

I am having the pics developed now and put on a CD. I should have them by 5. When I get them, I'll send them to you so you can host them for me?

Dave

I still can't get over the price that RRP yielded. I kind of felt bad that you didn't snag it, because I know how much you wanted it... but at that price, it don't know if it would have been worth it.

I should have some pics of the guests in about a week or so. I took about 12 shots on Sunday (after I managed to get some film), and will post later in the week.

I also had a great time meeting everyone and will do my review of the artist alley, and the dinner, and the party, when I get enough time to write something substantial.

I'm also hoping to post some scans of the sketches I had done. There is some awesome stuff here.

And Dave, Kaare Andrews did do my Wolverine sketch for me. It took him until 7:00 PM, but he finished everyone's sketch for them.

Alex

Alex that's great!! I am going to try and get some scans of my art that I got as well. The availability and the willingness to do sketches from the guests was one of the best parts of the con. I'm also really happy that you got the Kaare Andrews sketch - he is one great artist and generous guy for doing all that stuff for free!! Also, can you please post a scan of your Mike Kaluta Swamp Thing? That was hands down one of the nicest sketches I saw throughout the weekend.

When you get something more substantial that you want to post, please also send it in to Comic Buyer's Guide (email: ohso@krause.com). I plan on doing the same with a version of what I posted last night.

My pics should be up later tonight but I have a feeling there will be a lot of pics of Kev and Peter and Jim Starlin and Marshall Rogers smirk.gif

DAM

I am having the pics developed now and put on a CD. I should have them by 5. When I get them, I'll send them to you so you can host them for me?

Dave

I still can't get over the price that RRP yielded. I kind of felt bad that you didn't snag it, because I know how much you wanted it... but at that price, it don't know if it would have been worth it.

Joe, don't sweat the RRP price - at that price I wouldn't have wanted it smile.gif But at the same time it's great that the charities were able to snag so much coin!

BTW - I love the Hulk from the Charity auction sig line and the new avatar!! STUART SAYGER does some great stuff 893applaud-thumb.gif

The availability and the willingness to do sketches from the guests was one of the best parts of the con.

That was the only thing that made the Vegas con worth while (and only worth one day at that). I'm looking forward to seeing your sketches.

BTW - I love the Hulk from the Charity auction sig line and the new avatar!! STUART SAYGER does some great stuff

Thanks Dave. It was great to finally meet you in person. As well, as beyonder, wasonff, and eccomic.

My favourite part of the whole convention had to be the Charity Auctions. That was amazing!! I honestly never attended an auction MC'd by anyone so funny, so exciting, and with such incredible items up for bid. I'm really happy about my Andy Lee piece, and the Hulk piece (in my signature) that I picked up at the Charity Auctions. Worth every cent, and I know the money will go to a good cause!

As for my consignment piece by Stuart Sayger, apparently his quill broke Saturday evening, and so he didn't have my piece ready by the end of the show on Sunday. I'm hoping to pick that up in the next week or so. I'm really looking forward to it.

I agree Joe, the charity auction was my favourite part of the weekend too.

It was the most well attended special event at the show and had some great pieces. I only wish we could have had the online components running for proxy bids, but it was way to expensive to set up an on-site telecommunications hook-up for internet access and many of the pieces did not arrive until mere minutes before the auction began.

Andrew Krystal was awesome. I had a real blast playing the role of his "producer/ sidekick" and had a real hoot guilting him into picking up some items. That one volunteer who kept calling him "dear" and "honey" was hilarious.

I picked up a few great items myself (my big win being a full figure Starlin Thanos drawing).

Kev

I picked up a few great items myself (my big win being a full figure Starlin Thanos drawing).

That's right!!! You won that! That was an awesome piece. Way to go Kev!!!

I went with Peter to pick it up from Jim Starlin. I'm glad someone as committed as you have been with this event ended up with unquestionably, one of the most exciting pieces to turn up for the Charity Auction.

308526-starlin%28web%29.jpg

308526-starlin(web).jpg.bc1447f0dabfded7a1e9b3395f365029.jpg

I agree Joe, the charity auction was my favourite part of the weekend too.

It was the most well attended special event at the show and had some great pieces. I only wish we could have had the online components running for proxy bids, but it was way to expensive to set up an on-site telecommunications hook-up for internet access and many of the pieces did not arrive until mere minutes before the auction began.

Andrew Krystal was awesome. I had a real blast playing the role of his "producer/ sidekick" and had a real hoot guilting him into picking up some items. That one volunteer who kept calling him "dear" and "honey" was hilarious.

Kev

That was a great Starlin Thanos sketch you picked up Kev! I bid on it too but held off as there was some other great stuff to be had. I'm glad you got it. I did manage to pick up that page from Y: The Last Man that I was really happy with smile.gif For me, the Charity auction was the best part of the con and I hope you guys consider doing it again at the next one. Kudos go out to you, Peter, Alex, Irene, and the whole Paradise team for all your hard work and for putting together a great weekend 893applaud-thumb.gif

Although I'm mostly a 'lurker' on these boards, it was great meeting some of the other board members and talking comics thumbsup2.gif

Drew

Likewise Drew, congratulatons on the Y page, the Batman 619 2nd print 9.8 and the 10 modern gradings!

We will definitely continue to do the auction at shows as it was very well received and a great experience. I found out on Sunday that some people didn't know about it, which I found disappointing.

Kev

Can you post a pic of the Y page? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

BOC:

I'll try to get it scanned and post a pic when able. Although I might need a quick tutorial on posting a picture (forgive me, I'm new confused-smiley-013.gif) This is my first venture into original comic book art and I have to say, I find that it might become quite addictive 893frustrated.gif I think I'll be looking for some pieces in the future laugh.gif

P.S. That hulk piece was awesome that dadeist picked up thumbsup2.gif

Drew