• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Sim's Glamourpuss

6 posts in this topic

Has anyone checked out this series?

What an odd, odd book....especially if you pick it up with no pre-concieved notions as to what it's about.

Sim has definately decided that now that he's done with Cerebus, he is going to do what he wants to do and that's that. This book probably won't do very well sales-wise, seeing as how there really isn't any story, aside from Sim talking about early photo-realism in comic art. He spends a lot of time talking about Alex Raymond, Al Williamson, Milt Caniff with a little Neal Adams, et.al., and their work in the art medium. He does this through art that he's 'traced' from fashion magazines and applied the styles of the aforementioned artists to the tracings in a kind of pseudo-documentary about these artists early days.

It's really bizarre (especially when you first start reading it), but kind of fascinating too. There haven't been any threads started here on it, just curious if anyone else picked this up (probably Sim fans, if anyone).

Got Sim's other work about Anti-Semitism: Judenhass, but haven't cracked that one open yet.

I sat on the john with it, got to page 2 and yelled for my son to bring me something else to read.

lol it's definately not something to read for action and drama. It's more like something you'd use as a textbook in an art appreciation class of some kind.

Needless to say, this one isn't going to make 300 issues. Maybe 30 if Sim doesn't run out of money.

Sim fels hes in a position where he can indulge himself in traning of and art appreciation of some of his mentors' work. By copying them line for line learning how to draw like them now that he has the time to do so. And, he is in a position where he can actually package it up and SELL it! gotta admire the balls of this comicbook.

always interesting to listen to our own comics legend genius curmudgeon misanthrope talk though... until you just tune it out as it sinks off the deep end of logic into egoland.

Ill always check out everything he does, but I didnt really enjoy this, or Judenhaus very much. Lets hope he fails ans fails and finally needs enough money to do some more serious Cerebus stuff!!

(hows that for the voice of the stupid selfish fan?)

Sim fels hes in a position where he can indulge himself in traning of and art appreciation of some of his mentors' work. By copying them line for line learning how to draw like them now that he has the time to do so. And, he is in a position where he can actually package it up and SELL it! gotta admire the balls of this comicbook.

always interesting to listen to our own comics legend genius curmudgeon misanthrope talk though... until you just tune it out as it sinks off the deep end of logic into egoland.

Ill always check out everything he does, but I didnt really enjoy this, or Judenhaus very much. Lets hope he fails ans fails and finally needs enough money to do some more serious Cerebus stuff!!

(hows that for the voice of the stupid selfish fan?)

Yeah, this series is kind of just more of his editorials but with the addition of pictures instead of just text. It's not bad....kind of interesting in a way. I found myself having to put it down and pick it back up later when I was more prepared for what it was. But it's definately not a story in any way, shape or form. The art's pretty good, but it would be nice if he worked on a regular series again (doesn't even need to be Cerebus!).

Pretty sure Judenhass wasn't meant to be 'enjoyed'...it was intensely brutal in a brief re-telling of the figures surrounding the Holocaust and their interpretation of it. He did a pretty good job of doing what he wanted to do with that one. Definately not for everyone though.