• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fake Sigs?

17 posts in this topic

why I don't buy raw sigs, never know. I can almost tell you it's not stan as it wasn't signed in black across a black background.

I'm a collector of Stan Lee signatures. I've seen a large number of Stan Lee signatures, and I wouldn't say that one is inconsistent with how he signs. Stan commonly signs in both black and silver. Sometimes his sigs are sharp and crisp, other times not. On the other hand, you never know about these things. This is exactly what makes a CGC SS book so valuable. A 100 years from now, there will be no doubt about authenticity on those books.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $35 for the book in question because there will always be the chance it's fake and resale won't be strong either. On the other hand, I wouldn't assume that it's fake either. Just no way to know from what's been provided. For me personally, I'm not going to bid on this piece because my Stan Lee focus is elsewhere at the moment.

Bill.

Uh, I took another look, and funny thing, there are two of them up for auction, from two different sellers, but with what looks like the same exact html description. Very clone-like and odd if you ask me. Also, they didn't bother to put a picture up of the certificate. Doesn't mean it can't be real because sometimes Stan will sign multiple copies of a comic book in one session, but the listing doesn't provide a high level of confidence either.

Bill.

I'm a collector of Stan Lee signatures. I've seen a large number of Stan Lee signatures, and I wouldn't say that one is inconsistent with how he signs. Stan commonly signs in both black and silver. Sometimes his sigs are sharp and crisp, other times not. On the other hand, you never know about these things. This is exactly what makes a CGC SS book so valuable. A 100 years from now, there will be no doubt about authenticity on those books.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $35 for the book in question because there will always be the chance it's fake and resale won't be strong either. On the other hand, I wouldn't assume that it's fake either. Just no way to know from what's been provided. For me personally, I'm not going to bid on this piece because my Stan Lee focus is elsewhere at the moment.

Bill.

Thanks for the advice, I know what to look for now.

Bill.

Well said. I too, am a collector of Stan sigs. I wouldn't touch that book with my hard earned cash. It's times like this where I say thank God for the good ol, yellow label.

Bill.

Well said. I too, am a collector of Stan sigs. I wouldn't touch that book with my hard earned cash. It's times like this where I say thank God for the good ol, yellow label.

I'd buy it ,if Stan would draw a cockroach on it.

1. Stan's sig is more vertical than usual...

2. That is an odd way that the sig is underlined.

3. It looks like there is a slight arc in the sig, and usually Stans is straight and short.

4. The first three letters in Stan look much different than normal.

IMO- FAKE!

He also has a Michael Turner book up. In contrast to the Stan and Frank Miller books, Turner's signature looks messier than usual. It's also at an angle. My experience with Mike is that he was very meticulous with his signature, and I don't remember ever seeing one at an angle. Very suspicious.

The Miller is 100% forged and his discription of it being a DF signed book is completly innacurate since all signed books are numbered by DF the line

"CERTIFCATE issued by DYNAMIC FORCES, has a gold seal on back issued from our retail store. "

DF doesnt use gold seals, they are silver holograms

I agree with everyone that those sigs are dubious, but it's really hard to tell with Stan because his signature is not exactly the same every time and he has signed countless books over the years. If he is doing a lot of signing in one session, the sharpie will become dull and his stroke changes somewhat to compensate. He signs very quickly, which also leads to variation. There is a listing on ebay for asm 500, showing a group of 4 autographs from Stan.

Click Here

Hopefully, I got the link right. Anyway, these are not certified and you can see differences in the length of his underline, if these are in fact Stan Lee signatures. It's possible they are, but how can we know? PSA certifies Stan Lee signatures, so you could always send it to them, but in my opinion that would be worthless. For comic books, I stick with CGC SS, except for the occasional Dynamic Forces or even more rare Ocean State Sports. For items that are not comic books, I look at the sig, the quality of the seller and hope for the best.

Bill.