• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC Reports!

96 posts in this topic

SUPPOSEDLY Eric Roberts (actor, Julia Roberts brother) paid the 175K but I can't confirm.

Eric Roberts the OA collector is not the Actor, and not related to Julia...

C

That's how rumours get started!!

In my opinion, the combination of Buscema and Palmer was the ultmate for the Avengers.

Interestingly, the (Large Art) cover to AVENGERS # 52 ("The Grim Reaper") has just sold on eBay for $16,103. Buyer was Steve Donnelly.

SUPPOSEDLY Eric Roberts (actor, Julia Roberts brother) paid the 175K but I can't confirm.

C

True. Great guy, but not the actor............

Yes he was the buyer but hes not Julia's brother. He's is the son to Roberts in KKR the private equity firm.

I heard that Eric Roberts the actor outbid Eric Roberts the KKR scion for those two covers. Discuss amongst yourselves. :gossip:

:P;)

Yes he was the buyer but hes not Julia's brother. He's is the son to Roberts in KKR the private equity firm.

I heard that Eric Roberts the actor outbid Eric Roberts the KKR scion for those two covers. Discuss amongst yourselves. :gossip:

:P;)

That would truly make him the "Best of the Best"

C

Off topic but .... I always thought George Klein's inks on Buscema were much more polished than Palmer's during those early years.

Now that SDCC is over, any other big OA sales?

I am assuming some of the art will end up on auction sites since private deals couldn't be finalized at SDCC.

Thanks again for the reports.

Cheers!

N

A few observations:

This year some of the OA dealers were in their usual locations and the rest were all the way on the other end, opposite from Artist's Alley. I don't know how that affected their business but there seemed to be plenty of people hanging around.

I stopped at most of their tables, saw a lot of nice art, but the prices on Silver Age pages are too high for me now and I wasn't even tempted. The dealers are nice guys and I like seeing what they brought but I'm at the point where I'll just have to be content with what I already have.

The Steve Ditko Spider-Man pin-up was astounding.

I went to the CBLDF auction on Saturday evening. They had some very nice things, I bid on a few and got quickly blown away. The Dave Gibbons Watchmen full cast was tremendous, but far out of my league. I consoled myself with a Rorschach sketch that Dave did for me the next day at the DC pavilion. He did it for free, too.

So, I didn't buy any OA from dealers this year but instead concentrated on sketches and drawings from artists who were there.

Hey Steve; I pm'd you here because the email addy via cgc I have for you now bounces. Just a bump to check your inbox. DF :hi:

C

True. Great guy, but not the actor............

I don't collect OA, but Beschara was set up next to us, and displayed this little gem:

sdcc2008012.jpg

Wow!!! Thanks for the pic. Did anyone get a close up pic of the ASM 3 pin-up and ASM 6 Splash?

Clem

I don't collect OA, but Beschara was set up next to us, and displayed this little gem:

sdcc2008012.jpg

That is just plan amazing! One of the absolute best covers I have ever seen. The really funny thing is Beschara has this incredible collection and still he is a super nice person.