• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Humidity and temperature control for books

12 posts in this topic

I live in an old house in the midwest with the temperature going up and down. Same thing for the humidity. In the summer, when we put the AC on, the humidity obviously increases. But the AC is only on for a short part of the day. How does one control for these factors when storing comics? Is there such a thing as a comic humidor or wine cabinet? Even with a dehumidifier in the basement, it still seems humid there as well. Any suggestions?

I think you meant with the AC on the humidity goes down, not up...right?

I have seen these little climate control machines in small computer rooms...I think the take care of everything in small areas...you basically preset temp/humidity and let it run. Not sure how much they cost.

The real problem from what I understand is constant change back and forth.

Keeping books in a proper storage bag, with a proper board, off the ground and not next to an outside wall are the best things you can do next to climate control.

Other than that..not much you can do.

R.

I have seen these little climate control machines in small computer rooms...I think the take care of everything in small areas...you basically preset temp/humidity and let it run. Not sure how much they cost.

You mean a dehumidifier? Or are you talking about a Simon Bar Sinister Weather Machine? Simon says: Go Snow! :baiting:

It's a must-have for a comic room in a moist or fluctuating environment. They'll run from around $180 - $500. You'll need to know the room's square feet in order to buy the correct model; they vary in the amount of pints of H2O they remove; most manufacturers or sellers have the stats on their websites.

You'll also want to get a hygrometer to accurately measure humidity in the room. Even if the dehumidifier has a digital gauge - they're not necessarily accurate. Those will run about $15 at the hardware store.

I have a small dehumidifier in my comic room... always keep the windows covered and the door closed... it's always the most comfortable room in the house.

I think it was $150 - $200 for the dehumidifier... I like it. But I live in NC where it's always freaking humid. Especially in the summer. I end up emptying it once a day...

Try using moisture traps in your home and close to where you store your comics.

I found mine at Dollar Tree and it kind of looks like this.

http://www.skevi.com/images/3500259.bmp

They collect moisture out of the air and it fills up in the bottom. Kind of nifty how it works.

You mean a dehumidifier? Or are you talking about a Simon Bar Sinister Weather Machine? Simon says: Go Snow! :baiting:

It's a must-have for a comic room in a moist or fluctuating environment. They'll run from around $180 - $500. You'll need to know the room's square feet in order to buy the correct model; they vary in the amount of pints of H2O they remove; most manufacturers or sellers have the stats on their websites.

You'll also want to get a hygrometer to accurately measure humidity in the room. Even if the dehumidifier has a digital gauge - they're not necessarily accurate. Those will run about $15 at the hardware store.

No dingus, a portable climate control unit that does Heat/Air Conditioning/Dehumidifying all in one little unit. I used to walk into our server room to pick up paper and stuff at my old dealership and there was this little thing in the wall ALWAYS running. Not sure if this is what they are talking about but I know it's out there. Might be cheaper to go with AC though than buying a machine for a tiny room.

R.

A/C won't be cheaper and won't do the job properly. A dehumidifier is basically the same thing, the guts are just slightly different and it's designed to remove moisture. The unit described in your link sounds like an industrial-type unit, which go for big, big bucks.

That's Mr. Dingus to you, pal.

Well Climate control is a balance of temperature, humidity and air quality. An A/C machine automatically removes humidity because it cools air quickly causing condensation.

I would think that a small climate control machine would run about $1000 if I had to guess and would work well in a small room. If you plumb it to a drain you never have to empty the water. I prefer low maintenance trouble free things so I'll pay a little more for convenience.

In any case a dehumidifier will work wonders for your books and yourself...Sweathog Pontoon.

R.

I have a dehumid in the basement with the books. Could not store them there w/o it.

Me too. I have them in a closed cabinet in the basement, and with the dehumidifier, the temperature inside the cabinet is 68-70 degrees F, and humidity is about 45-48%.

This time of year, the humidifier fills up every 2 days.

We also have the AC running about half the days of the summer. This summer, we haven't needed the AC too much in Toronto. But the dehumidifier has been a real necessity: we've had the most consistently wet summer in decades. Seems like the forecast every day has been partly sunny with a chance of thunderstorms.

Thanks. Now to figure out where to store them. They are in my bedroom now, and I don't want a dehumidifier there running all the time. For now maybe I'll buy some of those nifty moisture traps. I would have to go to the dollar store alone, though. If I took my kids, they would go crazy with excitement- they LOVE the dollar store!