• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roasting The ComicMan

15 posts in this topic

sign-rantpost.gif

Here's the deal in three parts.

Exhibit A, buy the book - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2195086433

Exhibit B, ask us what it's worth - http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=gradeandresto&Number=299774&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all

Exhibit C, flipper ahoy - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=75&item=2201140878

All right, so you made a mistake. blush.gif But man, you asked us what it was worth and we told you it was 3.5 or 4.0 at best. And now you wanna list as Fine Minus. In a private auction. shocked.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

Mordo did call it a "5.0 VF/NM": from that thread a little trivia...9d = 9 pence; d is short for denarius ( an old Roman silver coin - talk to the coinees); but "d" was the notation for penny or pence; nowadays they use "p" to denote pence:

The symbols £ meaning pound is from the latin libra meaning pound; s is not for shilling but for solidus, and d is for denarius.

A strange corruption has befallen the English language since decimalisation. The d for penny or pence was always pronounced as "penny" or "pence", but now the p for penny is commonly called "pea" rather than penny or pence. During the changeover period of decimalisation, this was reasonably understandable, although the new pennies were called "new penny" or "new pence" as they had a different value from the old penny, so there was no need to further differentiate. Since the old pennies were withdrawn in February 1971, there have been almost 30 years to adjust.

Looks like a solid VG to me...but to state it would be a VF+ based on the corners alone? The bottom right corner creasing itself knocks it down to F/F+ (even if the rest of the book was NM). CGC doesn't seem to hit books too hard for that vertical reading crease from off-center staples.

Either way the Comicman just about recouped his investment (he might have done better without making the auction private). It's tough to flip pence copies in the U.S. (I know from personal experience).

Excellent knowledge of our olde money there Mr. Diesel. I'm (just about) old enough to remember decimalisation, yet I wasn't aware of that "solidus" thing. Anyway we say "pea" instead of "pence" or "pennies" 'cos we're lazy, and also because those terms sound antiquated.

A newbie cursing me, I hate that 893frustrated.gif

Anyway, in my defence. I listed the book as a Fine- minus, not a VF+.

The oversized scans I provide bring out the worst, this is a nice book, but there should be enough to let the bidders decide!

I am sure the buyer is going to CGC it and let me know, so I will keep you all posted. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

The private auction was a mistake! All my other items are not but I clicked it on for the Stan Lee File copy (as from previous attempts to sell this, many of the bidders have been cold called shocked.gif). And I forgot to untick the box. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Full refund if not happy. I have in the past sol RAW copies of Iron Fist 14 in 9.4 and Amazing Spiderman 129 in 9.6. All buyers were happy, and all gave glowing feedback on condition.

I actually bought this on a whim, hoping it would be nice as the owner was none other than Duncan McAlpine. All the UK collectors will know him as a credit to the industry, he also produced the only UK comics price guide for years. Alas, his grading was not as good as his publications foreheadslap.gif

You provided loads of supersized pictures so your buyer has lots to go on (certainly a lot more than that tiddly thing you bought from). You say you don't guarantee to grade the same as CGC, but then who the hell does ? Big pictures, money back guarantee - I wish everything I bought had the same.

Why were people called on the Lee file copies ? These don't interest me personally, but if someone wants to pay huge guide multiples for books that have been slabbed in low grades, surely they are doing it of their own free will. It's not like they're being deceived into thinking the books are in much better condition than they actually are.

I seem to remember a certain comic shop in North London that closed a while ago. Did they used to run a Chinese laundry in the back ?

Umm. Silky Smooth. cloud9.gif

Thanks for the backup GP, you still havnt answered my other question, hows the Sub-Mariner collection going?

As for the file copies, they were from Stan Lees personal collection. Not really the grade that they was buying, just the history. That was my best one too frown.gif

I've still got some comics in bags from Stateside comics! remember them! (they even had a branch in Hamley's!)

hey - I've bought from Kev twice before with absolutely no concerns!

What kind of worries me is that I'm about to buy a very famous comic (can't mention which) in "decent, VF or thereabouts" from Duncan (whom I trust because he writes such detailed and polite emails)

I'm happy to proceed though - and I'll let you know the outcome

Ewan

Subby was for someone else - a tortuous story that I'll relate to you one day if I ever get 2 hours and a quarter bottle of Scotch.

I remember the Hamleys store. Didn't they also open up in some Virgin megastores ? I'm sure I was in the Oxford Street branch and saw them there. Definite case of over expansion.