• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Giant-Size X-men #1 Low to Midgrade Prices???

13 posts in this topic

I've been in Graduate school and out of the collecting business for a while and it seems to me that prices for GSX #1 have skyrocketed...on ebay at least. What is a realistic price to get one between a G and a VG? I realize this is lower grade than what most of you roll with, but I'm a poor student.

Also curious (but secondarily curious) about a few Silver Ages.

X-men 1 (G)

Avengers 4 (G)

Daredevil (G)

Mainly just curious about Giant-Size X-men 1 though. I'm interested in adding a mid-to-low grade one to my collection. Just not a TOTAL beater.

CGC 7.5 355.00

7.0 320.00

6.0 155.00

3.0 79.00

and the big momma:

9.2 Slight resto 455.00

Thanks for the quick response. I cannot believe I'm saying this, but...I'd love to see some of these go up at market value on Ebay. (Or here, of course).

I'd like a nice solid 6.0 with off white or better pages. Gosh knows I've owned it in just about every grade imaginable over the years, but I don't have a copy right now and would very much like to have one.

I'd like one in VG. Am I talking less or more than $100?

Tough to say --- but, here's my copy which cost me exactly $100 last year. A couple young guys had bought out an old store of their stock, and were set up every weekend at a big flea market. Bought a ton of stuff from them, and they always gave me 20% off. They had this one stickered at $125, so I got it for $100. Some obvious defects: diagonal creases upper right, 3/4" spine split at bottom, etc.

GSX1-ft.jpg

They're priced about guide to 1.5x guide most of the time I've seen them. The kicker is that the low grade copies aren't really out there--soon as they hit the shelves they're sold right away. I paid $65 ($72 shipped) for my GD to GD+ copy from Ted and was quite happy to pay guide to a little over guide for it.

gsxmen1.jpg

gsxmen1b.jpg

I'd like one in VG. Am I talking less or more than $100?

Tough to say --- but, here's my copy which cost me exactly $100 last year. A couple young guys had bought out an old store of their stock, and were set up every weekend at a big flea market. Bought a ton of stuff from them, and they always gave me 20% off. They had this one stickered at $125, so I got it for $100. Some obvious defects: diagonal creases upper right, 3/4" spine split at bottom, etc.

GSX1-ft.jpg

My one cool find story- I went in to a flea market one day and asked about comics. The lady behind the counter said her son had a bunch he would be willing to sell. I got his phone number and went to his place the next weekend. In the books he was selling was a Giant Size 1 and a 94. I got both for 30 bucks. I also got a number 2 missing the centerfold for $5 bucks off of him and most of the issues 101 up to 150 for a buck each. The run was missing 111 to 117 though but I am not going to complain. The giant size was in approximately the shape of Capfreaks. No cover creases but a little dirtier. I got an asm 129 and a real nice 300 in the bunch for a buck each also, as well as a bunch of other keys in low grade. I probably have the lowest grade 1st Swamp Thing appearance in existance (HOM 81?).

Just as an aside I did tell the guy he was selling them cheap and he could make more off them than he was asking (try to treat people the way i'd like to be treated). He told me he could tell that I really loved them and he preferred that they went to some one that loved them as much as he always did. I do love them too. Even the ratty HoM.