• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ahhh, 1963...

47 posts in this topic

It's been a fun read...not necessarily an accurate read, but fun. I was -4 in 63, so it's all a mystery to me. And Ze.....one of these days I'll get all liquored up and recall my the early 70's for those that care to partake.

:blush:

There had to be a few good pressing threads around then too, right?

Wasn't that also the Ewert Era?

I forget.

:blush:

There had to be a few good pressing threads around then too, right?

Wasn't that also the Ewert Era?

I forget.

I think Jason was 2005 and heck back then there was a pressing thread about every other day! Maybe the Cap N Mandi thread started around then, so that would have given that thread a run for it's money.

But that was one damn good thread! :sumo:

Yep. Long haired freaks in 1963. I used to kid my now wife that she had the same haircut as a male singer named Bobby Goldsboro, back then. Before the hippies, there were the Beatniks. Getting together, snapping their fingers instead of clapping, after someone told a really stupid poem. They wore real tight pants, had long hair, smoked a lot and in my opinion, that is who the Beatles "stole" their look from. Of course Beatniks did not sing so they were not universally popular.

Yea, my father, my uncles and my grandfather, all had burr haircuts. They were not weirdo's. But to suggest that the people of the late 60's "invented" long hair on males is silly. Jesus Christ. Let it go man. You are starting to look silly.

In any event. The 60's were rich in a lot of good and bad. From the music, through the riots, to the TV programs, and right down to the comic book characters. I was around ten and of course I can not remember everything in order, exactly what month or year things occured, but I do remember them as all occurring during the same time frame. It was a glorious time. Being scared to death of the Reds nuking us. Transitioning from burr haircuts to long hair. The Lawrence Welk show debuting the Beatles here. TV not allowing the swiveling hips of Elvis to be shown. Women wearing girdles and tight sweaters. McDonalds having some great fries and cheese burgers. White Castle selling hamburgers for .12 cents each. The Cincinnati Reds being much better than lately. A few years later, Pete Rose came to my High School and gave a speech in the auditorium because that was the high school he had attended also. Western Hills High School. I was amazed at how short he was. He could not be seen behind the podium on the stage and had to come around in front of it to talk to us. Prior to that, I attended Hughes High School which is just across the street from UC, and there were only five white kids in the school and all of us were related. The other hundreds of students were minorities and I got beat up so often I pretended to live with a relative in Western Hills, so that I could go to school there. Later it was found out that I was "cheating" and didn't really live there so they sent me back to Hughes High and I quit and joined the Marines. When I got out after eight years and became a cop, my aunt that I had grown up with, gave me a cardboard box full of comic books that she found in grandma's attic and said "These are yours I believe. Gram was going to throw them out and I wouldn't let her." Carla was always my favorite aunt.

I remember trying my first and only cigarette. I still don't understand why anyone does it more than once. I remember seeing my brother with a paper bag over his head, getting high on glue sniffing. I punched him that day and told on him. I remember seeing a little girl with a Bobby Goldsboro haircut, carrying a carton of pop bottles to the local corner store and I offered to carry them for her and she said I was here husband. I blushed but I was hooked. Still am

Like I said. Good and bad. But I wouldn't change a thing.

I have to agree with some of the other posts - you've attributed a few things to 1963 that, from my recollection and backed by school photos, happened later in the sixties.

Hairstyles in the US in '63 favored the short look. This is apparent from the pop culture of the day:

beatles_1963.jpg

It wasn't until around '66 that fashion began to change, and hair length and clothing nonconformity became common counterculture statements:

beatles_1966.jpg

Sixty-five was obviously a milestone year in the lives of the Beatles. It's remarkable how completely different they sounded (and wrote in their lyrics) in their releases at the beginning of the year (Beatles '65) and the end of the year (Revolver). From where I sit, 1965 has always been the year that changed things forever. It was a great year for quality at Marvel, too.