• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bare-Assed Spidey!! (or Hilarious Colorist Mishaps)

76 posts in this topic

Just ran across this and thought it would brighten a few days if posted.

Looks like Glynis Wein may have been fantasizing about Spidey and perhaps subconsciously made a coloring snafu on page 17 of issue______? (trivia). I assume this is Len's Wife?

Anyway, after forgetting to "completely" color Spidey's bicep and forearm in the first panel leaving it pink to appear as "flesh", she apparently left 'ol spidey completely "bare-assed" in the 4th. The crude among us will also note that spidey appears to be "farting" some of his thoughts in that panel.

:roflmao:

That is pretty hilarious..good thing it doesn't happen often or Marvel would've been put on the Playboy rack!

Please do if it's not too much trouble... I'd love to see it.

(thumbs u

Vince will get it right away I'm sure.

ASM 157

(thumbs u did this issue ever "stick out" in your mind :eek:lol

I knew the minute I saw the thread title that it would be about these panels.

There was a mention of it in the letter's page in issue 161.

Quoting "Spider-Man's seeming lack of decorum was actually an error on the part of our peerless printers..."

Thanks for the clarification. I always figured it was a coloring issue. So I unfairly assumed that Glynis Wein was the culprit.

Interesting that is was a printer issue. I guess some rubylith got knocked off the cyan overlay. That could happen before digital production. I gotta' check out that letter's page to see if there were other commentaries.

hm

Yes, I just copied a fraction of the notice. It does go into explaining how the colors got missing. I should have scanned it last night, but had several things going on.

This one is one of the most famous ones. It looks like Wolverine's claws are coming out his palm because the colorist colored his thumb the same color as the guy's shirt.

daredevil196.jpg

That's not his thumb...his real thumb is colored light green and is seen in the base of the E in 'Daredevil'. The supposed thumb is supposed to be cloth from the green shirt.

This one is one of the most famous ones. It looks like Wolverine's claws are coming out his palm because the colorist colored his thumb the same color as the guy's shirt.

daredevil196.jpg

That's not his thumb...his real thumb is colored light green and is seen in the base of the E in 'Daredevil'. The supposed thumb is supposed to be cloth from the green shirt.

I think that's what he said more or less (shrug)

daredevil196.jpg

Less.

daredevil196.jpg

Less.

More.

daredevil196.jpg

Less.

More.

OR! :sumo:

And, on top of that, the inker is to blame as well for shaping a thumb out of what should have been torn cloth and the edge of Wolvie's palm.

I'll go along with that one... he initiated the whole "thumb misidentification fiasco" and the colorist completed the screw up.

:sumo:lol

(thumbs u

ASM 157

Quoting "Spider-Man's seeming lack of decorum was actually an error on the part of our peerless printers..."

Thanks for the clarification. I always figured it was a coloring issue. So I unfairly assumed that Glynis Wein was the culprit.

Interesting that is was a printer issue. I guess some rubylith got knocked off the cyan overlay. That could happen before digital production. I gotta' check out that letter's page to see if there were other commentaries.

hm

Yes, I just copied a fraction of the notice. It does go into explaining how the colors got missing. I should have scanned it last night, but had several things going on.

Better late than never.

161_letters.JPG

daredevil196.jpg

BTW, someone should notify the PC police that Wolverine is picking on little people as well. Wolvie is supposed to be 5'4" or so. This dude that he is picking up can't be more than 4 1/2 feet tall. (tsk)

ABTW, like the Liefeld Moobies Captain America, this is one of the worst covers of all time, but still might be better than MTU 117.

(thumbs u

ASM 157

hm

Better late than never.

161_letters.JPG

Thanks!

If I had to guess it would be either ASM 157 or 158

Correct... one of those.

You have a good "buttcheck" reference memory it appears.

:baiting:lol

:acclaim:

I cant resist this opportunity to (sort of) talk to you again. This was a fun moment.

We sure miss you Nik.

:angel: