• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

British price variants?

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

Is the Marvel Chillers #5 (2nd from left) a price variant?

Linky poo

Should be 9p if keeping with US pricing structure for that issue. Also, #5 was a starburst variant in the US.

Is this a whole new branch of price variant collecting madness?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Hi,

Linky poo

Should be 9p if keeping with US pricing structure for that issue. Also, #5 was a starburst variant in the US.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Although I can't really answer your question, I took a look at some of my FF pence copies and dug up some weird things....

FF # 170 9p (starburst) copy US version is 25 cents

FF # 171 10p (starburst) copy US version is 25 cents

FF # 173 10p (large font) copy US version is 30 cents

FF # 177 10p (small font) copy US version is 30 cents

FF #180 12p (medium font) copy US version is 30 cents

Hi,

Linky poo

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I've never studied it, but from what I've been able to surmise from seeing enough books from these months, in either May or June (the month of FF 171 and Marvel Chillers 5) of 1976 Marvel changed the price for ALL UK copies. so some variant month books are 9p while others are 10p, but there is no variation within the months.

I don't think there was ever a variant structure in the UK, but from what I remember buying them at the time, Marvel's cover price rose a number of times in quick succession in the mid-70's. The pound was weak against the dollar then - in the late 60's/early 70's it was about 4-1, but in the mid-70's we had a crappy government that screwed things up so badly that we actually went to the World Bank for a loan. The economy was lousy and inflation ran at about 15%+ per annum.

Cantona, Mifune, Kirby, Wells and ... ?