• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question, If Batman 99 is last GA ish, then......

23 posts in this topic

There is no actual desgination given for the 1st appearance of a Silver age Joker. The reason for this is the Joker didn't disappear for years at a time like most of the other villains and there were no major changes made to the character from the Golden age villain to the silver age. I forget but I had most of the major villains figured out how long they were gone for. I think Catwoman and Penguin were the shortest but it was still about 7 years. Joker propabaly didn't stay gone for even 2 years. Riddler and Scarecrow were gone for over 15 years. Two-Face was gone for over 10 years. If you want to figure out the 1st SA Joker look him up in a chronolgy site and see what the 1st original book after the date for Showcase 4.

Joker wasn't in Showcase #4. That is recognized as the beginning of the SA. Which was published Oct 1956. Batman #97, the last GA Joker was Feb 1956, before Showcase #4. That would leave the next appearance to be Batman #110, which was published Sep 1957. You were correct, currin! thumbsup2.gif

Joker wasn't in Showcase #4. That is recognized as the beginning of the SA. Which was published Oct 1956. Batman #97, the last GA Joker was Feb 1956, before Showcase #4. That would leave the next appearance to be Batman #110, which was published Sep 1957. You were correct, currin! thumbsup2.gif

No you misunderstood me about that. Flash is of course in the Showcase 4. But since Showcase 4 is recognized as the date begining the SA I meant look for a the 1st book after that date with the Joker in it. Of course it gets messy when you say last GA and then 1st SA anymore when you have the Atomic Age between them. 893frustrated.gif

No you misunderstood me about that. Flash is of course in the Showcase 4. But since Showcase 4 is recognized as the date begining the SA I meant look for a the 1st book after that date with the Joker in it. Of course it gets messy when you say last GA and then 1st SA anymore when you have the Atomic Age between them. 893frustrated.gif

Well, in my opinion the Golden Age was over long before February '56, and it's kinda silly to expect Showcase #4 to instantly tranform the 1956 Batman stories into "Silver Age." If I were pinned down, I'd say the Silver Age didn't arrive to Batman and Detective until 1964 when Julie Schwartz (the real Mr. Silver Age) arrived with the yellow oval around the bat-symbol. The 1950-1963 stories were stuck in a kind of weird nether-zone, an ersatz Atomic Age I suppose.

But I agree with the notion that Catwoman, Riddler, Penguin (maybe!), Two-Face, Scarecrow went away for a while in a way the Joker never did, so it makes sense to speak of a "First SA Catwoman" but not really a "First SA Joker."

Gonna have to disagree Zonker. A lot of the main characters who were around from the GA through the SA, a distinction is made on what their first SA appearance is. OS tells us when Batman made his first SA appearance, does that indicate Joker was more common than Batman. Cetainly not, I think Batman #110 should be annoted as being 1st SA Joker, regardless of whether he was a recurring villain.

Gonna have to disagree Zonker. A lot of the main characters who were around from the GA through the SA, a distinction is made on what their first SA appearance is. OS tells us when Batman made his first SA appearance, does that indicate Joker was more common than Batman. Cetainly not, I think Batman #110 should be annoted as being 1st SA Joker, regardless of whether he was a recurring villain.

As a whole I must say that the whole era things is estenially BS trying to put exact dates of things according to when one other book began the SA as Zonker mentioned. The GA is often ended in 1945 because that is when the war ended. But if you go throw the OS you will see many important titles ended around 48-49, or after this point put out only several issues for the next 5 years. I personally could care less about a persons 1st SA appearance unless 1. It is a completely different character, such as Clayface. 2. It is still one of the few appearances a character ever made such as Riddler who's 1st SA was only his 3rd overall and I believe the Scarecrow was the same. People life Clayface and Two-Face I would rather go for broke and pick up their 1st overall appearance even if that means only getting a 6.0-7.0 instead of a SA 9.0.

How can you tell the first issue of a Golden Age book like Batman when it didn't stop printing?

Carter

There seem to be several theories of how to tell the *final* GA issue of a title like Batman (surely that is what you meant to say)

Overstreet's theory seems to be the final GA issue is the one immediately preceeding the first SA issue. Begs the question of what is the first SA issue... so...

Overstreet would claim the first SA Batman issue is the one coinciding with the release of Showcase #4, the first SA issue anywhere.

I'm not buying any of that, for reasons explained elsewhere.

Most folks believe there is an interim period between the GA and SA. Some call this the Atomic Age. Others say anything after the end of WWII is post-Golden Age.

My personal view is that for all practical purposes the GA ended when the 1940s ended, with a very few exceptions like All-Star Comics. The GA really really really ended when All-Star Comics became All-Star Western in 1950 or 1951. So for titles like Batman or Detective, I'd personally draw the line at December 31 1949.

But I still say the best GA Batman stuff was all published before 1946!

Zonker, while I can see your view, what difference does it make to take the Showcase #4 date as the cutoff or use your All-Star date. Regardless which it is, a date should be established to delineate the two ages, I think you'll agree to that. Since Showcase #4 is more widely known to be the cut-off, why is there still debate over this. Regardless of whther it is right or wrong, a date needs to be established.