• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Steve Ditko in Hiding???

121 posts in this topic

I dont know if I agree with people saying he should stick to privacy and so forth. When people get involved in some kind of business that includes fame. Then they should expect to be bothered. Thats how it is in the comic world as is in the movie world and so forth. He owes the fans something for keeping his character alive! If it were not for people like us who buy Spidermans and go see the Spiderman movies his character would have stayed in his drawing book and be an unknown. That is a fact. To be stubborn to say no autographs no nothing.

And Rodan57 I heard of it but never saw the documantary, ill look into it. Thanks

There was no fame for comic book artists/writers when Ditko was doing Spidey. "Fame" for comic book artists and writers wasn't really even an issue until say the 90's.

I believe Spider-man survived for about 40 years before the movie came out. Just about the same amount of time with Superman. Your "facts" are your opinion and not backed up by anything other than your opinion.

Steve Ditko already gave you Spider-man and countless other characters and stories. He owes you, me and anyone else absolutely nothing.

Other than that....great thread!!! :baiting:

I wrote an article for either CBM or Comics Source in the early 90's and part of it was speculation about why he left Marvel. I had been told something by a fan who I knew for sure was good friend with Al Willianson and Wally Wood. This guy gave me a story. I got hold of Ditko's NYC address and sent him the article for verification. I still have the letter he sent me which basically said the story was nonsense and that he didn't want to discuss anything that he described as the long gone past. I respect what he did for comics and I also respect his right to privacy. I've heard rumors from other comic book artists that Ditko does have a lot of original art including Spider-Man pages but they are just rumors. I think Ditko was a genius at storytelling and his 60's artwork is phenominal but I think he's never going to involve himself in comic fandom in any way.

keith contarino

The other thing we have to take into consideration is that AT THE TIME comic creators were not taken seriously. In fact, they were often scorned or looked down upon for working on comic strips and funny books. Listen to Stan Lee speak about this in the History Channel's documentary--these people didn't really explode amongst the masses until later in the 60s (growing out of the college circles). While I'm sure Steve received some positive responses, I'm equally sure he felt some of the negative side effects of working in this business early on in his career.

Frankly, for all he's done for us nerds he deserves the well-earned R & R!

I don't think anything has changed. Scorn may not exist but funny looks and doubt still would. Only us comic geeks think Steve could be a rock star.

Steve Ditko at a party. "Hi, I'm Jack good to meet you Steve. I used to work in telecommunications. It was very cutting edge and we came up with some very cool things. What did you do."

"Well, Jack, I was a comic artist. I worked at Marvel."

"Ohh, that sounds...... like a .... good living. Did you happen to know Stan Lee".... :makepoint:

Taterdemalion , lol cool comment. Man I didnt expect such an outburst for a simple question about Steve. I am not complaining about him as a person directly, only wondering why he stayed out of site. As for someone saying that he is 80 + , well so are Jerry Robinson, Stan lee, and Joe Simon. And I see them at quite a few conventions. Great guys. Never had a problem signing stuff (even with CGC). As for someone saying no one expected any type of fame is untrue. From the 40s comics were a huge success. It brought us movie animations that cost millions (check the Superman animation costs back in 41). The Batman serials. Captain America serial. Superman man tv shows. I could make a pretty good bet that comics were HUGE before even the 60s.

That would be me. :)

All I can say is you probably need to watch the History Channel's documentary on Comic Book Superheroes Unmasked with specific reference to the Golden Age up to the beginnings of the early Silver Age. You'll notice that until Marvel burst onto the scene (early-to-mid sixties), comics were in fact scorned and seen as childish. Stan Lee discusses this, and believe some of the other giants in the industry do as well.

Many of your examples are prime examples of anachronism--taking present truths as valid in times past. While we have since recognized these individuals' efforts and see how they have played through contemporary culture, you'll never see any one of these Classic Creators claim that they KNEW the extent of their efforts. Quite the contrary in fact. Again, I can't recommend that documentary enough--very educational. (thumbs u

Thanks, but hey, even with posting, I learn something every day!!!Just will be more careful in the future of course.

Dude... that is the name of the game on these boards, "Walk softly and carry an open mind." Follow that mantra and you won't go wrong :grin:

Thanks, but hey, even with posting, I learn something every day!!!Just will be more careful in the future of course.

Dude... that is the name of the game on these boards, "Walk softly and carry an open mind." Follow that mantra and you won't go wrong :grin:

And prepared to be slammed by JC occasionally.

Stan has often said that at parties, when people asked what he did for a living, he'd change the subject! Thats how "famous" comic creators were...

That say's a lot. So maybe Ditko is reflecting a perspective that has been in place for quite a while before the enlightened times towards graphic artists.

Heaven forbid the number of times I've been in a contemporary art gallery and thought a commercial artist could outstrip all of these 'artists' in shere talent.

But the critical recognistion goes to those collection of bozo's. And the mass media title of 'Artist's'.

Ditko and the other's are all artist's, but in terms of the general publics perceptions, it's still childrens work arguably.

Even though the 90's, there weren't many cross-over artist's. Eastman & Laird, Clive Barker, Dave Stevens, etc. But no public connection other than their external work. Nothing saying 'we are comic artist's first'.

Stan has often said that at parties, when people asked what he did for a living, he'd change the subject! Thats how "famous" comic creators were...

That say's a lot. So maybe Ditko is reflecting a perspective that has been in place for quite a while before the enlightened times towards graphic artists.

Heaven forbid the number of times I've been in a contemporary art gallery and thought a commercial artist could outstrip all of these 'artists' in shere talent.

But the critical recognistion goes to those collection of bozo's. And the mass media title of 'Artist's'.

Ditko and the other's are all artist's, but in terms of the general publics perceptions, it's still childrens work arguably.

Even though the 90's, there weren't many cross-over artist's. Eastman & Laird, Clive Barker, Dave Stevens, etc. But no public connection other than their external work. Nothing saying 'we are comic artist's first'.

well, I dont think I follow your artists vs bozos line of reasoning. Theres lots of hype in the "real" art world sure, enabling the high$$$ sales fo apparently talentless junk.... but theres an equal amount of bad if not borderine amateurish work in comics too. Neither world is perfect or w/o inequal amounts of fame, praise, fortunes and talent.

And prepared to be slammed by JC occasionally.

Eh, we disagree at times and other times we get along. I think it depends on his mood much like anyone else I guess.

Taterdemalion , lol cool comment. Man I didnt expect such an outburst for a simple question about Steve. I am not complaining about him as a person directly, only wondering why he stayed out of site. As for someone saying that he is 80 + , well so are Jerry Robinson, Stan lee, and Joe Simon. And I see them at quite a few conventions. Great guys. Never had a problem signing stuff (even with CGC). As for someone saying no one expected any type of fame is untrue. From the 40s comics were a huge success. It brought us movie animations that cost millions (check the Superman animation costs back in 41). The Batman serials. Captain America serial. Superman man tv shows. I could make a pretty good bet that comics were HUGE before even the 60s.

That would be me. :)

All I can say is you probably need to watch the History Channel's documentary on Comic Book Superheroes Unmasked with specific reference to the Golden Age up to the beginnings of the early Silver Age. You'll notice that until Marvel burst onto the scene (early-to-mid sixties), comics were in fact scorned and seen as childish. Stan Lee discusses this, and believe some of the other giants in the industry do as well.

Many of your examples are prime examples of anachronism--taking present truths as valid in times past. While we have since recognized these individuals' efforts and see how they have played through contemporary culture, you'll never see any one of these Classic Creators claim that they KNEW the extent of their efforts. Quite the contrary in fact. Again, I can't recommend that documentary enough--very educational. (thumbs u

marvels exploded in the middle 60s not 70s. I know... I was there