• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Actual super powers?

47 posts in this topic

Okay. I know that this is dumb, but I am bored. I also know the difference between super powers and skill. Having said that, I am asking if anyone can name someone in history or in the present, that comes close to having what the comic book world considers super powers.

Some comic book hero's and villians really do not have what I would call super powers. Just fantastic talent and a lot of training. Batman and Captain America come to mind. Still.............

If someone is a Christian, then the obvious answer is Jesus. Then maybe Moses, Goliath and Samson. Other religions may consider Mohammed, Buda or whoever.

If someone is not religious, then who fits the bill best. Michael Jordan? Wayne Gretsky? Jim Thorpe? Bruce Lee? Barack Obama (it's called a joke folks:)? David Blane? Tiger Woods? Some guy or gal no one remembers there name but just what they did, like survive a fall from an airplane without a parachute or a war hero that earned the Medal of Honor doing some feats that were far beyond the capacity of 99.9% of us.

Got any serious or not so serious nominations from the present or past?

just a couple comments....

it's "Buddha" not Buda.

and even though Captain America technically doens't have any super powers, he's still been enhanced by the Super Soldier serum, making him a peak human - what that means is open to interpretation, but it could be argued that Cap is at the higher end of being "talented"

I'm a huge bodybuilding fan so I've always looked at these guys as super-heroes/super-humans. I know, I know: "drugs are baaad!" Ronnie Coleman (on left) is 8x Mr. Olympia and Jay Cutler (on right) is current Mr. Olympia.

Jay-01.jpg

I'm a huge bodybuilding fan so I've always looked at these guys as super-heroes/super-humans. I know, I know: "drugs are baaad!" Ronnie Coleman (on left) is 8x Mr. Olympia and Jay Cutler (on right) is current Mr. Olympia.

Jay-01.jpg

My father knows Jay Cutler personally :grin:

tony jaa of course hes taking it really easy on those guys but if you look around on youtube theres vids of him breaking boards with those flip kicks. The basketball kick at the end... well thats borderline superhuman

I remember reading about a child who was born with abnormally large muscles because of a mutant gene that had something to do with some kind of protein blocker or some such. It was in the newspaper somewhere in 2001-2004, and not the National Inquire but a major newspaper. They said if you saw the kid walking down the street he wouldn't stand out as a freak..but it would be interesting to see what happens later on life if he decided to pick up some weights.

Nomination for real life super villain would be Ted Bundy. Escaped twice. Jumped from a window while preparing for trail. Then lost weight to climb into the ceiling of a in order to escape incarceration for the second time and kill once again. Authorities even tried to use him as a profiler to try and catch the Green River killer. Probably killed over 30 people during his spree in the 70's.

Wow. Never heard of Tony Jaa and he is very impressive. Of course, just like the WWF, that video you have linked is highly choreographed. No doubt he could kick some butt though. But, Bruce Lee could have beat him.
The only reason i linked to that vid was for the b-ball kick. Do not underestimate his fighting skills. I would probably pick Bruce to win too but Lee(at his peek)vs Jaa would be an absolutely epic fight.

I remember a young girl on one of the 24 hour news channels with an IQ so high she was embarrassed and wouldn't let them announce it on TV. She was 16 at the time. She was speaking in full sentences at 9 months and took her first IQ test at the age of 9, she got bored with the testing process and decided to just mess with the examiners with off the wall answers.