• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zero Feedback Bidders on Ebay - Newbies or Shill Bidders?

8 posts in this topic

I have seemed some high profile listings as of late where bidders tend to be newly created IDs with zero feedback.

While I am sure there are new users signing up on ebay each day, I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't test out ebay on a few low ticket items before bidding $11,000 on a cover. Some buyers obviously didn't care as they continued to bid up the cover. I personally get suspicious when the seller doesn't reject the bids. I avoid these auctions altogether.

Cheers!

N

I'm wondering, though, if there is no longer seller-to-buyer feedback on ebay, how you even build up a feedback rating. If you only buy on ebay, and never sell, will you remain a zero rating, or has ebay done something to take that into account?

There's no longer seller-to-buyer negative feedback. Sellers can only leave positives. :insane:

generally speaking when I see an item being listed and several zero feedback bidders on it driving the price up, I believe that the bidders are totally shills. Sometimes there will be areal bidder in the middle of it, but I generally see this with a non-movie poster person selling a movie poster. The price seems to get higher than even I or Heritage or Bruce Hershenson etc can get and that is a pretty good bet that the bidders are friends of the seller hiking up his price.

the days of fleaBay have past.. now it is just a crapshoot of thieves with not that many honest sellers anymore.. but that's why I started my own auction site..

I should also have mentioned that usually when I see what I think are shills, they have had a fleaBay account for a considerable period (1-2 years) and have bid on nothing until this item that has already reached hundreds or thousands where they are "fighting" back and forth with someone else of equal suspicion

here is a perfect example of shill bidding

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=250274950635

this is for Adobe Premiere Pro CS3. the software sells for about $400-600 depending on where you look

even if you example the top bidder with 33 dfeedbacks, his bidding history is 100% with this seller who only has 39 feedbacks