• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did comics change size?

7 posts in this topic

I have started buying some older comics form the 60's and whatnot. I have noticed they are slightly bigger than current comics and won't fit in the mylars I have. I will have to get the bigger mylars. Does anybody know when comics went down to slightly smaller size comics are now? cool.gif

I have started buying some older comics form the 60's and whatnot. I have noticed they are slightly bigger than current comics and won't fit in the mylars I have. I will have to get the bigger mylars. Does anybody know when comics went down to slightly smaller size comics are now? cool.gif

The comics you have now should fit into the Mylars with the Silver Age designation. I believe that comics shrunk at the beginning of 1970 to what is known as the "Current" size. Then they shrunk again at the beginning of 1980 to what is known as the "Modern" size. Of course, this is all off the top of my head...if I am wrong, someone people correct me.

The comics you have now should fit into the Mylars with the Silver Age designation. I believe that comics shrunk at the beginning of 1970 to what is known as the "Current" size. Then they shrunk again at the beginning of 1980 to what is known as the "Modern" size. Of course, this is all off the top of my head...if I am wrong, someone people correct me.

The sizes are generally Modern/Current, Regular/Standard, Silver Age, Golden Age in order of width.

They vary, however.

Moderns/Current size tend to be about 6" 7/8 - 7" wide

Regulars/Standard size tend to be about 7" - 7" 1/4 wide.

Silver Age usually about 7 1/2 - 7 3/4"

Golden Age 7 3/4" - 8 1/4" wide

Generally, they're all 10 3/4" high although that varies too.