• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

does anyone know what dealer had the Journey into Mystery Spalsh?

21 posts in this topic

Yep thats a great looking Kirby Thor splash and the price does not seem out of whack.

Clem...

:gossip: Check the credits for the inker...that might give the reason for the price.

Stone, Ayers, a few other guys and the price is significantly north of this number IMHO.

C

Yep thats a great looking Kirby Thor splash and the price does not seem out of whack.

Clem...

:gossip: Check the credits for the inker...that might give the reason for the price.

Stone, Ayers, a few other guys and the price is significantly north of this number IMHO.

C

Personally I always have loved the Kirby/Colletta Thor cover's, but thats just one guys opinion :P

Clem...

C

Personally I always have loved the Kirby/Colletta Thor cover's, but thats just one guys opinion :P

From the way the people at Marvel at the time describe it, Vinnie was one of the MVP's of the Marvel bullpen back in the day. There are stories of being pressed on a deadline Stan would drop a pencilled cover on Vinnie's desk and head out to lunch and by the time he came back it was fully inked and finished. :o

For my money, over Kirby's Thor pencils....Chic Stone is #1.

C

When Jack worked fast, the art still looked good. When Colletta worked fast, it looked like hack work. An even bigger problem was that he would simplify Jack's pencils, sometimes going as far as erasing characters or objects right out of a panel for the sake of saving time. That's just inexcuseable.

That said, there are still plenty of nice Thor pages he inked that look great.

When Jack worked fast, the art still looked good. When Colletta worked fast, it looked like hack work. An even bigger problem was that he would simplify Jack's pencils, sometimes going as far as erasing characters or objects right out of a panel for the sake of saving time. That's just inexcuseable.

I completely agree. I was trying to beat around the bush to talk about his speed with the given that speed is not a virture is the work is hacked out. Someone with Vinnie's speed could work for a long time in the business but I never equated that to superior product everytime...which is why I think this splash inked by Ayers or Stone would be several thousand dollars more on the asking price.

C

Clem...

C

From the way the people at Marvel at the time describe it, Vinnie was one of the MVP's of the Marvel bullpen back in the day. There are stories of being pressed on a deadline Stan would drop a pencilled cover on Vinnie's desk and head out to lunch and by the time he came back it was fully inked and finished. :o

For my money, over Kirby's Thor pencils....Chic Stone is #1.

C

I don't disagree with you. Chic Stone, Ayers were the business on Thor and certainly the price levels would be a lot higher and more desirable, but I think this particular splash has a great Thor stance and over time. Colletta inks have grown on me some. Colletta did bring a feel to Kirby's pencils with his scratchy style which, whether you like it or not is synomynous is with this title character, especially from a nostalgic pov.

Clem

I completely agree. I was trying to beat around the bush to talk about his speed with the given that speed is not a virture is the work is hacked out. Someone with Vinnie's speed could work for a long time in the business but I never equated that to superior product everytime...which is why I think this splash inked by Ayers or Stone would be several thousand dollars more on the asking price.

C

While I agree that inkers like good ol' "Spoon" Ayers (unfortunately his brother "Fork" went into advertising work because he was a fine artist himself) and Chic Stone who were technically much better, didn't cut corners, and treated Kirby's pencils with much more respect, I happen to like Colletta on Kirby Thor.

You have to remember this was an assembly line process and the ONLY goal was to get out a product on time. If corners had to be cut, so be it. I'm sure Vinnie was invaluable to Stan when it came to meeting a deadline. This was a business and if the product didn't hit the stands on time, it didn't matter how beautiful the end result was. People like to talk about Colletta but he did what the company was paying him to do. Besides, when deadlines weren't too short and he took his time, his inks weren't bad at all.

All that being said, I prefer Stone on Kirby Thor as well and my favorite Kirby inker will still always be Sinnott.

Ruben

http://www.collectingfool.com

BTW, I just got "spooned". I had no idea what that meant. Wow, this board is sensitive if I got "spooned" for a word like that.

The only thing Colletta did was obliterate the pencils of just about every artist he inked over. :(

Well, not all of them as he always erased a lot of those pesky backgrounds first so he could finish sooner... :tonofbricks:

Put me in the "Vinnie was by far the best THOR inker" camp. Colletta's skills were so much better than the other Kirby inkers and that is becoming a more popular opinion these days. The Vinnie lovers are starting to come out of the closet.

Okay, but do you like his inks over any other penciler?

I'll have to post some examples of him eviserating Mike Grell's pencils on Warlord. :sick:

Put me in the "Vinnie was by far the best THOR inker" camp. Colletta's skills were so much better than the other Kirby inkers and that is becoming a more popular opinion these days. The Vinnie lovers are starting to come out of the closet.

Your not fooling me...welcome to the boards Mr. B.

"Me am NOT HATE Vinnie's inks on Thor, Me Am LOVE Inks, They am BEST" ;)

bizarro.jpg

Okay, but do you like his inks over any other penciler?

I'll have to post some examples of him eviserating Mike Grell's pencils on Warlord. :sick:

I will be looking forward to seeing those examples because IMHO Vinnie Colletta inked Warlord better than Grell inked it. Other pencilers that Vin inked well? Garcia-Lopez is the first and best example that comes to mind.