• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are there any keys from 2000 and up? this decade? NONE?

138 posts in this topic

Of course, one of the "Keys" to being a Key is longevity. Series that come to a close have a much harder time retaining their Key status unless they've crossed over into the realm of Popular Culture. (Bone, TMNT)

Y the Last Man #1 has cross-over appeal with female readers and I think most people come to it via the trade paperbacks. That it has ended is a major strike against it however.

Even a movie may not help a key's status, however. Is V for Vendetta #1 a key?

if we are talking female readers than we better put lots of manga on the list.

These are NOT keys:

Invincible #1

Y the Last Man #1

Deadpool 54 & 55

Batman :Man Who Laughs

Captain America 14

Fables #1

Grimm Fairy Tales #1

Kick-*spoon* #1

Incredible Hulk 92

Locke & Key 1 and 2

Origin 1

Captain America 25

I'm interested in knowing why?

Invincible 1 - I confess, I know nothing about this book. That alone makes it not a key. lol

Y: The Last Man 1 - I debated this one.....It's the first issue of a very good, very popular series. But that's not enuf for me. It either needs to have a significant event, a significant first appearance, death, new artist or writer....It's a solid collectible, just not a key. And the series being over hurts and in 10 years, this series will be long forgotten as a collectible comic, although the trades may still be in print. Sandman 1 and Watchmen 1 are exceptions...they became monsters and transcended the comic genre in ways that hadn't been done before.

Deadpool 54 & 55 - A Punisher appearance? Gee, that never happens.

Batman :Man Who Laughs - Nothing even remotely key about it. Value does not mean key.

Captain America 14 - Why?

Fables 1 - See Y The Last Man...only less so.

Grimm Fairy Tales #1 - I plead ignorance again.

Kick-*spoon* #1 - Please. When Adolescent Radiosactive Black Belt Hamsters 1 becomes a key, then this will.

Incredible Hulk 92 - Start of a nice Hulk story. Nothing more.

Locke & Key 1 and 2 - Too new.

Origin 1 - Another Wolverine book? Barely noteworthy let alone key.

Captain America 25 - ok, if he stays dead, I can chind my mind here. But that seems unlikely.

These are NOT keys:

Invincible #1 KEY

Y the Last Man #1 KEY

Deadpool 54 & 55 NOT KEY

Batman :Man Who Laughs KEY :sumo:

Captain America 14 NOT KEY

Fables #1 KEY

Grimm Fairy Tales #1 NOT KEY

Kick-*spoon* #1 NOT KEY

Incredible Hulk 92 NOT KEY

Locke & Key 1 and 2 On the way to being KEY

Origin 1 KEY

Captain America 25 dunnno

I thought Cable and Deadpool 1st appeared before 2000?

yep, you are so right,we got off topic. it kind of tells you that thier are very few keys since 2000 when we are talking about books New Mutants 87 and 98 that came out in 1990 and 1991 . Other than Marvel pulling the old Death of Superman with Captain America. Marvel and DC really haven`t created anything new.Thier has to be one new major character created by the big two in the last 8 going on 9 years? I must be missing something.

Ok in that time frame biggest new character being X-23 I'm guessing-also Wolverine's son Daken could turn out to be a keeper. Neither of them have the stature of Cable and Deadpool but they haven't had the development time either.

Ok in that time frame biggest new character being X-23 I'm guessing-also Wolverine's son Daken could turn out to be a keeper. Neither of them have the stature of Cable and Deadpool but they haven't had the development time either.

OK, so there haven't been that many very huge characters but there have been some decent ones. Runaways, Young Avengers, Echo, Sentry, New/Young X Men, Avengers Initiative characters, Winter Soldier (well he's an old character but you know what I mean) and that's just off the top of my head from Marvel. Some of the characters aren't that great but some are quite decent and I'd look out for their first appearances if I didn't have them (actually I wouldn't mind getting a first appearance of Echo seeing as I missed it).

What issue would be the son's 1st appearance?