• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are there any keys from 2000 and up? this decade? NONE?

138 posts in this topic

My opinion based on the books presented so far

These are keys:

NYX #3

Walking Dead #1

Mouse Guard #1 (I wavered quite a bit here)

30 Days of Night #1

Ultimate Spider-Man 1

Amazing Spider-Man v2 #36

These are NOT keys:

Invincible #1

Y the Last Man #1

Deadpool 54 & 55

Batman :Man Who Laughs

Captain America 14

Fables #1

Grimm Fairy Tales #1

Kick-*spoon* #1

Incredible Hulk 92

Locke & Key 1 and 2

Origin 1

Captain America 25

I have no idea what you base being a key on, but how is Invincible #1 and Y the last Man #1 not included. Invincible is quite popular and still ongoing. It is about to be made into an MTV series and I am sure a movie is coming up at some point. Y the Last Man had a very good 60 issue run. It is also going to be a movie and I am sure the public is going to be very aware of it. These books both sell for $50++ raw and a lot more graded. Even if you don't consider any of the other (quite valuable) books to be keys. I can't fathom how you do not include these 2 books.

These are NOT keys:

Invincible #1

Y the Last Man #1

Deadpool 54 & 55

Captain America 14

Fables #1

Grimm Fairy Tales #1

Kick-*spoon* #1

Incredible Hulk 92

Locke & Key 1 and 2

Origin 1

Captain America 25

I'm interested in knowing why?

Y: The last man 1 IS a key

Just becuase you have one doesn't make it a key. :makepoint:

:grin:

Invincible #1 Could be a key

Y the Last Man #1 I think this one is a key.

Deadpool 54 & 55 Agreed

Batman :Man Who Laughs Agreed

Captain America 14 Agreed....why would any of the last three (four) be a key book?

Fables #1 Potential key.....maybe......

Grimm Fairy Tales #1 Agreed

Kick-*spoon* #1 Too soon to tell, but I doubt it.

Incredible Hulk 92 Agreed

Locke & Key 1 and 2 #1 might be. It's all dependent on the quality of future books and whether or not there will actually be any more. The writer has the potential to be huge with the public at large, not just comics fans.

Origin 1 Agreed

Captain America 25 IF Marvel does as they say they will and leave Steve Rogers dead *all of you quit snickering this instant!* this one could be key. That's a huge "if" and incredibly unlikely.

Why is that a key?

I am thinking along the lines Amazing Spiderman 129.Incredible Hulk 181, New Mutants 98. I am much more interested in just Marvel and DC keys from 2000 and up.Introduction of new character, not really interested in Batman breaks back kinda key.

That's a pretty narrow definition of "key"

jonjesper is repping doug mahnke so it's a key.

I think it's a key because it's a great joker origin story, is on a lot of top GN lists, seems to be somewhat in short supply and have outstanding art. It's probably the #1 prestige format book last 10 years. Just my opinion.

jonjesper is repping doug mahnke so it's a key.

Oh yeah...... hm

Ok, it's a key! Possibly the biggest key of the last 20 years! :grin:

Buy jonjesper's stuff!

lol

You better remember this, Jon! (thumbs u

Why is that a key?

I am thinking along the lines Amazing Spiderman 129.Incredible Hulk 181, New Mutants 98. I am much more interested in just Marvel and DC keys from 2000 and up.Introduction of new character, not really interested in Batman breaks back kinda key.

That's a pretty narrow definition of "key"

ok then we will open it up to include major storylines as no new characters are slim and none.

[quote=MedicAR

Y the Last Man #1 I think this one is a key.

Captain America 25 IF Marvel does as they say they will and leave Steve Rogers dead *all of you quit snickering this instant!* this one could be key. That's a huge "if" and incredibly unlikely.

Y the Last Man #1 as in Preacher of 90`s questionable.

Captain America 25 as in Crisis 7(death of Flash) and Steve Rogers in presumably

the Avengers and Captain America movies highly questionable.

Of course, one of the "Keys" to being a Key is longevity. Series that come to a close have a much harder time retaining their Key status unless they've crossed over into the realm of Popular Culture. (Bone, TMNT)

Y the Last Man #1 has cross-over appeal with female readers and I think most people come to it via the trade paperbacks. That it has ended is a major strike against it however.

Even a movie may not help a key's status, however. Is V for Vendetta #1 a key?

Of course, one of the "Keys" to being a Key is longevity. Series that come to a close have a much harder time retaining their Key status unless they've crossed over into the realm of Popular Culture. (Bone, TMNT)

Y the Last Man #1 has cross-over appeal with female readers and I think most people come to it via the trade paperbacks. That it has ended is a major strike against it however.

Why you have 50 mint ones hm

So is Sandman #1 still a key? I know it doesn't fit the time frame in question, but it has ended.

(shrug)

Why you have 50 mint ones hm

Furthermore, is watchmen #1?? I associate a key as being a book that i would pull out of a stack and having some value. I don't really care if it a first appearance if it is worth $3. I guess we all have different opinions of what a key is. I listed books that have some value and I ALWAYS buy at a show when they are a good price. That is because they always are sellable and always are ok with me if i stockpile them.

Why is that a key?

What makes a key a key?

huh? I was asking a specific question. Why did you include it on your list? I read it, but I don't know why it would be considered a key issue now. It's been a couple of years since I paid attention to the modern back issue market (although I still read a ton of stuff) so I missed any developments surrounding the book in that time.

I was asking a general question. I know the 1st print sells from $30-$50. I would assume that makes it a key.

I always thought that there had to be a major event to make a book a key. The introduction/death of a character, first work by a specific creator on a character they became known for working on (DD #158 comes to mind), first issue of a wildly popular title, a classic book (Watchmen) or something similar.

A price spike is generally temporary and more related to supply and demand than a book being a key.

At least in my opinion....... (shrug)

I really expected the market for this book to crash once it was reprinted...it didn't. Maybe the impending and now released Dark Knight helped keep it from dropping. I stupidly sold my copy just prior to it being reprinted as a Hardcover. Now I find myself REALLY needing a copy and I can't even find the hard cover available. They are even sold out on Amazon. :mad: I guess it being the "First" meeting of Batman's number one villain and having a great cover are what make it desirable. I originally feel in love with the cover and wanted to get a copy signed by Mahnke, but never did and got out getting Signature series stuff. If people still perceive it as being difficult to find for a Modern book, it may maintain it's value for some time.

So is Sandman #1 still a key? I know it doesn't fit the time frame in question, but it has ended.

(shrug)

Sandman has transcended comics and moved into the realm of Popular Culture, in my opinion. (Mainly with the trade paperbacks.) It also has a large female audience, much like Y the Last Man.

It's not that expensive as it's been massively reprinted... so Sandman #1 is a key, but not an expensive one.

Invincible 1 is a key without a doubt. What makes it more challenging is I have never seen in hand a NM copy yet. The best copy I have seen is VF.

Y the Last Man 1 I can give key status too yet. Its run has ended and the character is not currently being explored yet. Semi Key with potential.

Locke and Key 1 - Nope its hype and thats it. Hell I dropped it after issue 1 and sold my copy for $28. I heard it got better. Either way its hype ever read Spidermen Unlimited 8?

NM 98 its gonna be a key no matter what. Its print run though was not small by any means.

Watchmen 1? I think so. Sold my copy for $20 in VF/NM other day. Wish I held on to it now. Called a shop I knew had 3 copies and the dang store owner dug them out and sold them to other customers.

Batman Harley Quinn?? Anyone? - Unless character heats up more just Semi-Key.

I hope V For Vendetta becomes one.. One of the only times I liked the movie better.

My opinion based on the books presented so far

These are keys:

NYX #3

Walking Dead #1

Mouse Guard #1 (I wavered quite a bit here)

30 Days of Night #1

Ultimate Spider-Man 1

Amazing Spider-Man v2 #36

These are NOT keys:

Invincible #1

Y the Last Man #1

Deadpool 54 & 55

Captain America 14

Fables #1

Grimm Fairy Tales #1

Kick-*spoon* #1

Incredible Hulk 92

Locke & Key 1 and 2

Origin 1

Captain America 25

I agree with most of this, but to not include Y the last man #1 and Invincible #1 is :screwy:

Invincible has to be the biggest new superhero of this decade...noble causes:family secrets 3 might be a super-key someday (shrug)

and Y the last man...well, it's Y the last man, for damn's sake.