• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 423 First and Second Print

12 posts in this topic

I have a copy, it does not indicate anything I can find. So I would assume I would have a first print. I actually just sent it to CGC a few weeks ago and I was trying to find the print before I shipped it. I guess they will know for sure if I sent a reprint.

I have a copy, it does not indicate anything I can find. So I would assume I would have a first print. I actually just sent it to CGC a few weeks ago and I was trying to find the print before I shipped it. I guess they will know for sure if I sent a reprint.
If it says nothing, then it should be a first print I believe. The 2nd, 3rd, etc are identified in the indica

Giving a little more life to this 2008 topic...

I discovered a Batman 436 Second Print in my collection,

so I figured I would scan the indicia to show the notation.

Batman436_2nd_indicia.jpg

I also noticed that the second print has a green DC logo on the cover, rather than the normal blue.

Batman436_2nd.jpg

Hello All, I was just wondering, how can you tell the difference between a first and second print of this Copper Classic?

All the answers here are newbish. ;)

Here's the issue with the Batman DC multi packs: in 1989, when Batman was riding a huge wave of popularity, DC decided they would reprint almost every issue between #397 and 425. This, they did.

The exceptions are #400, #404-408, and #417-420, because those were all "special" isses.

The easiest way to tell these apart is by the cover price/number box + UPC box art.

Here is a first print, Direct Market copy:

Batman_423_F.jpg

note the small number (423), plus UK and Can prices.

Here is a first print, newsstand copy:

batman423.JPG

Note the large number, and no UK and Can prices, plus UPC code.

here is a "multi pack" later printing:

FOR%20EBAY%20AND%20WEBSITE%202.jpg

Note the large issue number, but also note the "Direct Market" UPC box.

This is the distinguisher. If it has a UPC code, it's a first print newsstand, always. If it has a small issue number and UK and Can prices, it's a first print Direct market, always. If it has a large issue number, but a Direct Market UPC art, it's a multi-pack later printing.

This is important to remember, because not all the multi-pack later printings are marked as such at the indicia!

Also...if you're STILL not sure, check the ads. A first printing Batman #402, for example, will have 1986 ads. A multi-pack will have different ads, these from 1989.

There are as many as seven or eight printings of each issue, but to my knowledge, no one (not even myself) has been able to assemble a complete set of every printing known.

By the way...this also applies to Superman, especially from 1988, but I don't have an exhaustive knowledge of these.

Hope that helps!

Oh, and you know of anyone who has a complete set?

No. There are several people working on it, including Jerome who is very close to a full set of everything DC. I have the Batman reprints about 75% complete.

Earl.