• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof! (Image Comics)... Best new ongoing in ages!

59 posts in this topic

Anyone else reading this title from Image?

It was recommended to me, as a Savage Dragon fan, b/c SD is going to be showing up shortly... since it was only up to issue 10 and the run was fairly inexpensive on ebay, I picked up all of the back issues, and I have absolutely loved every minute of it.

The book is dense... physically... more story pages than your actual comic, back-up stories that don't seem superfluous or unimportant, creators that really seem to love the work they are doing, letters pages, back-up essays, pin-ups... Wonderfully put together book.

The basic idea is that there's a bigfoot. Whose name is Proof. Who is part of the FBI. He works with a team of humans in X-Files-ish scenarios tracking down other "Cryptids" (think: Fairies, the Loch Ness Monster, etc...). The continuity is tight and entertaining, and the humanization of the characters is wondeful. The first issue I read was #9, which is a stand-alone story, and I was immediately drawn to the characters and their stories.

If nothing else, I highly recommend picking up that issue just to get a feel of the flavor of the book. The first TPB also recently came out (including the first 5 issues and Proof's 1st appearance from Negative Burn 7). I just bought a copy of that on ebay as well, so I haven't seen it yet, but the first story arc was also very intriguing and well-handled. The story doesn't hinge on being weird or creepy or trying to do cool things with these creatures. The whole FBI/Cryptid thing just happens to be the lives that the main characters are leading.

The art, while a little loose in some of the back-ups, has been working very very well so far in the main story and most of the back-up stories.

This is, by far, one of my favorite new series in a long long time. After reading the first couple of issues, I immediately added it to my pull list. I tore through issues 1-10 and am highly annoyed that I have to wait so long for the next issue. Hopefully my TPB will show up soon, and I can re-read that first arc again in a different format.

Excellent stuff! :)

couple of guys I hadn't heard of before...

writer: Alex Grecian

artist: Riley Rossmo (http://www.wrinklegraphics.ca)

you can also read the 1st issue for free online at:

http://www.imagecomics.com/onlinecomics.php

(right now, it's the first comic on the list)

EDIT: oops... Alex has a site too:

http://www.alexandergrecian.com

I've been searching for #1-4 all day. The stores in San Antonio are all out of Proof back issues and each one said more and more people are looking for it. I finally found a #1 & 2 for around cover + shipping, along with Negative Burn #7 for 99 cents. :headbang: I ordered #'s 5-10 from Diamond this afternoon.

Now, if I could only find #3 & 4. :frustrated:

I've been searching for #1-4 all day. The stores in San Antonio are all out of Proof back issues and each one said more and more people are looking for it. I finally found a #1 & 2 for around cover + shipping, along with Negative Burn #7 for 99 cents. :headbang: I ordered #'s 5-10 from Diamond this afternoon.

Now, if I could only find #3 & 4. :frustrated:

Does Negative Burn have a Proof story in it?

1st App. in NB#7

the story is reprinted in the TPB tho.

He also shows up in the Monsters Unleashed or Monster Soup or Monsters, Monsters Everywhere... special... something with the word "Monster" in it from Image... $1.99... Proof, Wolfman... couple of other... I'm blanking... grrr...

still need to find that issue... you'd think I could remember what it's called...

EDIT:

and ZERO graded copies of the current Negative Burn run...

only one graded copy of Proof #1 (9.6)

sure do wish I was confident enough to send in a potential 9.8...

I asked Alex to come by and say hi on this thread... he sent me a nice email back and said that he tried but that he doesn't have a non-free email address to use...

I screwed up when I said the Negative Burn story was in the TPB... I'm not sure why I thought that, but I was wrong. (Sorry!)

From Alex:

But I did check out the forum and I really appreciate that you've got those folks talking about Proof. Since we don't exactly have a marketing budget, we sorta depend on word-of-mouth. Thank you very much for spreading the word.

(I hope that one guy ends up finding the issues he's looking for. The first few issues completely sold out, which is why we priced the trade so low. But to keep the price low, we had to do without the Negative Burn story [the higher page count would have forced our price up]. It's not an essential story, though, and we'll be reprinting it in a future trade.)

So... sorry about that... mine hasn't arrived in the mail yet, so I haven't actually held the thing... but there's the proper info about the book. :)

EDIT:

Speaking of the first trade...

you can get it here:

http://heavyink.com/graphic_novel/10538-Proof-Vol-1

for $7.99 including USPS shipping (domestically)

You've got to create an account, which is annoying, but still...

NB7 is around ebay for $3.00 - $4.00... but it's always annoying to buy a single low-priced comic and then have to pay for shipping... I'm always keeping my eyes open for stray copies of that or Proof 1, but it's very very rare that I see either one. If I run across extras, like, ever, I'll post 'em here.

There's also a Proof 1-7 set at auction right now (6 days left) that I just got outbid on. I'm just trying to upgrade my #1 tho, so I'm out if anyone here is looking at that set too.

NB7 is around ebay for $3.00 - $4.00... but it's always annoying to buy a single low-priced comic and then have to pay for shipping... I'm always keeping my eyes open for stray copies of that or Proof 1, but it's very very rare that I see either one. If I run across extras, like, ever, I'll post 'em here.

There's also a Proof 1-7 set at auction right now (6 days left) that I just got outbid on. I'm just trying to upgrade my #1 tho, so I'm out if anyone here is looking at that set too.

That would be my bid. Sorry for the outbid.