• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TTA 27 or Showcase 22 both in mid grade, what is the better investment?

44 posts in this topic

Which one of these great SA keys, TTA 27 or Showcase 22 is a better investment for around the same price, and or same grade (mid-grade 6.0-7.0), over the next 2 years? Could possibly even throw in a Flash 105 mid-grade for consideration as well. Limited funds left for buying and would love some advice from some people that know or have ideas.

With the Ant-Man movie in production with a release date in 2010, the TTA #27 might be the better investment in the short term. The movie is sure to cause a spike in demand for that book. I would just be sure to sell it a couple of weeks before the movie's release, in case the film turns out to be a flop.

Of course, there's the Avengers movie to consider too, which is scheduled for release in 2011. Ant-Man is expected to be a major character in that film as well.

With the Ant-Man movie in production with a release date in 2010, the TTA #27 might be the better investment in the short term. The movie is sure to cause a spike in demand for that book. I would just be sure to sell it a couple of weeks before the movie's release, in case the film turns out to be a flop.

Of course, there's the Avengers movie to consider too, which is scheduled for release in 2011. Ant-Man is expected to be a major character in that film as well.

Movie hype will do it every time.

Then take the profits and buy a Showecase 22 and flip it before the GL movie comes out.

Thanks guys, I was offered a TTA 27 6.0 but it seemed a bit high at 1250, haven't seen any more affordable copies however. Is this the price I should expect to pay for an unslabbed TTA 27 in 6.0?

Your insights have been very helpful btw.

Full OPG is $1026. You are being offered a copy at $1250 without the security of restoration and grade check.

Having said this, TTA #27 is a very, very early superhero Marvel and has a certain cache.

Some 6.0s are much nicer than others.

If the cover and centrefold are firmly attached; good paper quality; no spine roll, spine split or staple rust; or water damage --- just general wear (watch for chipping) -- you might have a very nice book for the grade. Being raw, you can inspect these things easily. Looking for restoration might be trickier.

If there is no urgency to the purchase, perhaps the vendor would submit the book to CGC on your behalf and the price might vary a bit depending on the grade received.

Good luck.

Here is the copy.. hard to tell from the scan what the interior paper is like, but the cover looks nice with sharp corners, doesnt look like any kind of restoration on the cover. I do know that alot of these books have had some sort of restoration though, however, doesn't appear to have any and the staples look nice.

63523.jpg.969e458c892e9d79a7f25459c328fd25.jpg

That's a tough call on the grade. It's a beautiful book, but it has a book-length reader's crease that would normally keep a book below Fine. The upper staple has a lot of wear too. I'd probably call it a 5.5, but the rest of the cover is SHARP. You might want to post it in the grading forum and see what others think.

The problem is not what it is worth, it's what you want to pay.

The difference between a 5.0 and a 5.5 is only about $200...not a lot on a big key like that.

If you are buying because you like the book and want a copy, then you can't go wrong even if you're off by a few hundred. You do want a no resto guarantee though. This book is very tough to find in higher grades and unrestored hence the over guide value. You might also post it in the grading forum to see what others think and you may get a bit of $$ off.

If you are buying to resell then you need to be a bit more careful...

It's not a very desirable key relative to some of the big hitters that Marvel has, but for me it is a very cool book and one I've never owned. It's also one of only 3 $0.10 Marvels alongside FF #1 and FF #2.

That is a very nice looking mid grade book.

R.

Thanks guys, I may just hold off for a while, maybe I'll find a better deal on a slabbed copy that I know has not been restored. There's a big con coming up in Toronto, maybe I'll have some luck there.

I would be very concerned about that book being trimmed. There is way too much spine wear for that book to have outer corners as sharp as they are, and an almost complete absence of edge wear on three of the four edges. Either get the seller to agree to get it slabbed first (for the restoration check), or pass on the book.

Here is the copy.. hard to tell from the scan what the interior paper is like, but the cover looks nice with sharp corners, doesnt look like any kind of restoration on the cover. I do know that alot of these books have had some sort of restoration though, however, doesn't appear to have any and the staples look nice.

I would be very concerned about that book being trimmed. There is way too much spine wear for that book to have outer corners as sharp as they are, and an almost complete absence of edge wear on three of the four edges. Either get the seller to agree to get it slabbed first (for the restoration check), or pass on the book.

Good eye, thank you for the advice. I see what your talking about, that makes a lot of sense.

Good eye, thank you for the advice. I see what your talking about, that makes a lot of sense.

Ya I think thats a pass, the book yell's 8.5, 9.0 on those edges, discounting the corner crease. and the rest of the book looking a solid 5.0. No Sherlock Holmes required.

But as for the call, TTA #27 all the way. (thumbs u :headbang:

The scarcity of the book is there, and the market for it is stronger, even though as people rightly point out, it's low in the rankings of marvel keys.

But there is a lot of qudos attached to the book, and the avenger's movie, and so on will only strengthen this exponentially.

Neither are a good investment (again, with all the caveats about "don't invest in comics, :blahblah:). With your $1250, you could easily buy something that will show a much higher return.