• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Spider Man #50

31 posts in this topic

Black Cat looks awesome and has gotten back the sex appeal she seemed to have lost over the years.

Spider Mna is the new spanish spider man that they are trying out for a few issues smile.gif

I think she looks OK, but here face is too long, and her boobs are way too big. I am soooooo tired of looking at ridiculously proportioned females in comics!!

Can someone describe to me the fascination of USM? I just can´t understand it. When I look at Bagley´s art I close the book immedeately (actually I do not even open them when I see the airbrushy disproportioned eye-hurting covers).

I guess Bendis is a good writer but he writes other books too, so why is especially USM such a good seller?

PS: The art on this one is alright, it was worse before I think...

Can someone describe to me the fascination of USM? I just can´t understand it. When I look at Bagley´s art I close the book immedeately (actually I do not even open them when I see the airbrushy disproportioned eye-hurting covers).

I guess Bendis is a good writer but he writes other books too, so why is especially USM such a good seller?

frown.gif I think your vision has been impaired from looking at too many gritty Maleev covers frown.gif

frown.gif I think your vision has been impaired from looking at too many gritty Maleev covers frown.gif

I've never understood the appeal of Bagley's art either. The people are just too rubbery/fake looking for my tastes.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I like Bagley's art. Partly because the style is distinctly his. I know as soon as I see it who the artist is which I find rather refreshing. Quite honestly, I think he was the perfect choice to draw USM. His style, to my eyes, fits the concept of a gangly kid with acrobatic abilities winging through the city.

Slightly off topic, but I loved it when Spidey smacked into the glass window at the Kingpins building. Made me laugh out loud.

Russ

I think she looks OK, but here face is too long, and her boobs are way too big. I am soooooo tired of looking at ridiculously proportioned females in comics!!

Boobs too big??? Never! devil.gif

Those of us with small hands beg to differ... hi.gif

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Can someone describe to me the fascination of USM?

It's consistently solid. I'm not a big fan of Bagley's art either, but it's generally clean, crisp and conveys the story well. Imagine for a second how lame USM would be if Humberto Ramos was drawing it...now do you see the appeal of Bagley? Is it great art? No, but it doesn't aspire to be.

As for Bendis' writing, it's consistently good. Is it great? Well, I would consider the Sam Silke/Death of the Kingpin storyline in Daredevil to be worthy of the title "classic" or "great", but probably none of the USM storylines. Bendis, to me, is not the writing equivalent of a home-run hitter...instead, he hits for average, consistently producing above-average stories. Just as I would not consider any of the USM storylines to be "classic", I would also not call any of them particularly bad (with the possible exception of the issues with "Geldoff").

Gene

Bendis, to me, is not the writing equivalent of a home-run hitter...instead, he hits for average, consistently producing above-average stories.

That's probably the best description I've ever heard regarding the writing on USM. Nothing spectacular, but always entertaining and solid. You should pick up the first trade, Jens. I think you'll be pleasently surprised.

Chris

Can someone describe to me the fascination of USM?

As for Bendis' writing, it's consistently good. Is it great? Well, I would consider the Sam Silke/Death of the Kingpin storyline in Daredevil to be worthy of the title "classic" or "great", but probably none of the USM storylines. Bendis, to me, is not the writing equivalent of a home-run hitter...instead, he hits for average, consistently producing above-average stories. Just as I would not consider any of the USM storylines to be "classic", I would also not call any of them particularly bad (with the possible exception of the issues with "Geldoff").

Gene

USM #13 was pretty darn good - I think Bendis hit that one out of the park. And he did a better job with Venom than I ever thought possible. Overall, I agree with your assessment on USM. Not only has DD had some very nice moments, but Alias has been tremendously entertaining too!