• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GCD Whitespaces

75 posts in this topic

After thinking about some posts in the recent romance thread, I thought it might be useful if made my list of missing cover scans at GCD (along with errata to point out any errors that need to be corrected) more widely known. If we know what's missing it makes it easier to look for these issues.

I've been doing audits of GA publisher groups listed at GCD and here is the list so far:

GCD Errata index

If anyone has full-size pix of any of these GCD "whitespace" issues, forum member and GCD editor selegue has offered to upload the pix. Perhaps this thread can be a useful location for posting cover scans to these apparently hard-to-find books so they can find their way to the GCD.

After thinking about some posts in the recent romance thread, I thought it might be useful if made my list of missing cover scans at GCD (along with errata to point out any errors that need to be corrected) more widely known. If we know what's missing it makes it easier to look for these issues.

I've been doing audits of GA publisher groups listed at GCD and here is the list so far:

GCD Errata index

If anyone has full-size pix of any of these GCD "whitespace" issues, forum member and GCD editor selegue has offered to upload the pix. Perhaps this thread can be a useful location for posting cover scans to these apparently hard-to-find books so they can find their way to the GCD.

Thanks, gif'.

GCD member Dan Stephenson periodically lists all of the missing covers and calculates % missing for each major publisher.

I'm happy to do the uploads, but anyone capable of posting here could easily master it. I'll gladly point the way. A big difference is that GCD has covers for identification, not for sale or grading, so they should be cropped right up to the edge -- no empty space around the edge. You know, like an ebay scan!

Jon Berk's primordial Funny Comics covers went up last night.

Jack

GCD member Dan Stephenson periodically lists all of the missing covers and calculates % missing for each major publisher.

I love Dan's lists.

Just uploaded All True Romances # 4 thanks to Gif's list (thumbs u

There is a scan of Catman #13 in this thread. It doesn't meet the 400pixel width for a large GCD image, but with a comic this rare can you really complain about the size of the scan?

Thanks.

Close enough to expand to 400 pixels for a hole-filler. I uploaded but left it marked for possible replacement.

Jack

I noticed today's uploads and that some of the errors have already been corrected. Holy smokes! You are the fastest GCD editor I've come across! You may single-handedly alter my opinion of GCD editors.

Not single-handed. I did a few myself, but also forwarded the url of your errata to the editors list. Like ants at a picnic!

Your information is great, but you needed to take it out from under that bushel basket. The editors didn't know it was out there -- at least almost no one.

For those of you playing along at home, take a look at covers added today.

But there's no question -- GCD editors are the most suave and debonair crew you'll find anywhere. You should see the crowd gather when you mention it at a cocktail party.

Hey, where's everybody going? OK, I'll quit dunking in the punch bowl...

Jack

I love the GCD and have contributed scans whenever I get one. I showed Rick/Gator my little binder with the small cover scans for titles I collect (I just print the pages off with the cover gallery scans), just scratch a line through the cover when I get it. Works better than an itimized list of Vol#2 Num4, Vol# H.... :blahblah:......and makes spotting the needed books quicker too for those competitive situations (2 Centaur collectors enter, one Centaur collector leaves). (thumbs u

(I just print the pages off with the cover gallery scans), just scratch a line through the cover when I get it. Works better than an itimized list of Vol#2 Num4, Vol# H.... :blahblah:......and makes spotting the needed books quicker too

huh. that's a really good idea.

(I just print the pages off with the cover gallery scans), just scratch a line through the cover when I get it. Works better than an itimized list of Vol#2 Num4, Vol# H.... :blahblah:......and makes spotting the needed books quicker too

huh. that's a really good idea.

Works for me. (thumbs u

Jack,

What's the GCD policy for keeping fudged/faked covers? In particular, Ace's Complete Love Magazine #173 where someone has merged the top of #176 with what I'm hoping is actually the bottom portion of a #173 (but who knows??). And Baffling Mysteries #26 where it looks like someone took the original art scan from Heritage ( found here) and colored it in and pasted a masthead on it from another issue?

Fake: 10102_026.jpg

Real: 26.gif

The policy is not to post fake covers!

I'm sure there are many that have the colors brightened or contrast fixed (I've had to do that myself just to make them display well enough to see on a monitor), but no actual image editing.

The baffling mystery is why someone would post that crazy pastiche. Just to see whether they can get away with it? I see that someone beat me to the punch and the old scan is already marked for replacement. Do you have a 400-pixel scan of the real thing to replace it?

Thanks,

Jack

Jack,

What's the GCD policy for keeping fudged/faked covers? In particular, Ace's Complete Love Magazine #173 where someone has merged the top of #176 with what I'm hoping is actually the bottom portion of a #173 (but who knows??). And Baffling Mysteries #26 where it looks like someone took the original art scan from Heritage ( found here) and colored it in and pasted a masthead on it from another issue?

Fake: 10102_026.jpg

Real: 26.gif

This is why a real "audit" is necessary and not just a polling of the database entries.

I updated the errata index today to reflect some changes made at GCD. A few new things got added (see Fox and Stanmor, aka Key at GCD)

My question remains. Does GCD keep the fake in place until you replace it or do you guys remove faked covers from the site ASAP?

(and I'll check to see if I can find my BM #26 for you tonight)

There are 2 ways to do it.

One is to remove completely (reset the cover). It's slightly harder -- more steps to get to the "reset button". If the cover were somehow inappropriate, like obscene or insulting, that's what I'd do.

The other is "mark for replacement", which is very quick. Generally, covers marked for replacement get replaced faster than unmarked holes get filled, probably because they're more in your face on the site. That's what's was done here. It's just as easy to upload a replacement as fill a hole.

Thanks for looking for your BM.

(That jes' don't sound right.)

Jack

This is why a real "audit" is necessary and not just a polling of the database entries.

I updated the errata index today to reflect some changes made at GCD. A few new things got added (see Fox and Stanmor, aka Key at GCD)

Some editors are spending a lot of time checking and auditing.

Very labor-intensive, and the pay isn't very good. Like $0.00/hour.

Glad to see all these corrections etc. being made the last couple of days.

Jack

Had my scanner out...so I also scanned these for you.

Teen Age Temptations 5

img217.jpg

Teen Age Romances 26

img216.jpg

Teen Age Romances 25

img214.jpg

Diary Secrets 26

img212.jpg

Teen Age Romances 44

img211.jpg

Teen Age Romances 40

img210.jpg