• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little help from my friends

18 posts in this topic

Anyone care to hazard a guess on grade for this one? It has very little surface wear, lies extremely tight and flat, has a whisper of distributor spray on top, and 3.00 written on the cover.

WW136A.jpg

WW136B.jpg

Nice book Joanna....I would give it a 7.0 - 7.5 since there are several nicks along the back cover and severals wrinkles along the spine that are evidant in the back cover scan..

CGC does not down grade for production flaws, gossip.gif i have a DD 158 CGC 9.2 with the same nicks on the front cover, not as many, but it's there.

Joanna, before I read everyone else's grades, I truly believe this one could be at least an 8.5. Don't think the 3.00 matters a whole lot. The corners being so nice is a huge positive. Usually when a comic has as many dings on the spine, at least one rounded corner or at least a minor crease accompanies it somewhere else on the comic. Those even get a VF on occasion. So...because of the rest of the book, I'm gonna go 8.5 at least.

Hehe - if the guy with the megaphone was in front of the tank cannon barrel, it'd be even better... it's totally suggestive already...

I'd go VF- 7.5, because to me the "3.00" notation does drop it a bit. I'd really like an explanation on how CGC views such cover writing. They generally don't seem to deduct for this kind of thing, but where do you draw the line? I mean arrival dates and such I can understand; they're practically part of the original book, but "3.00" obviously was written much later, and not by the original distributor/retailer...

I'd go VF- 7.5, because to me the "3.00" notation does drop it a bit. I'd really like an explanation on how CGC views such cover writing. They generally don't seem to deduct for this kind of thing, but where do you draw the line? I mean arrival dates and such I can understand; they're practically part of the original book, but "3.00" obviously was written much later, and not by the original distributor/retailer...

You know I have emailed CGC many times about their policy on writting on books and that is the only time I never got a response back. I asked why some SA and Bronze books note writting on the label and have never seen any GA's with writting noted on labels. From what Bug told me CGC no longer notes any kind of writting on covers at all? But check out the Sensation Comics 1 at Jay Parino's mint. It says "Mike" on the cover in pencil and still got a 9.4 ...and that's with a big dust shdow going down the right side of the book too.

But check out the Sensation Comics 1 at Jay Parino's mint. It says "Mike" on the cover in pencil and still got a 9.4 ...and that's with a big dust shdow going down the right side of the book too.

...sigh... I guess that's what known as the "BSD leniency" in grading?

My thanks to all of you! It's on ebay (and thanks to you guys, I was able to figure out a minimum bid). I would've liked to send this one to CGC, just to see. Hopefully, it will go to someone who loves to read the books, and therefore will be happy with a raw buy. I know it won't go for anywhere near guide, even though DCs are so difficult to find in decent grades (not being a NM kinda gal, this one fits "decent grade" for me).

As for the phallic imagery, it's actually far more difficult to find a WW book without a sexually suggestive cover. One of the most blatant I've seen lately is the 139. She looks like she's giving a, er, "oral pleasuring". For those who haven't seen it, here it is:

WW139A.jpg

Could it have possibly been more blatant?

-- Joanna

Um, the missile could be wearing a giant condom..? Otherwise, no, it couldn't be more blatant. Is that a Ross Andru cover? Someone should track down one or two of the SA WW artists and get their take on these covers ... they MUST have been laughing all the way to the printing press with some of these, right?