• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cracking open CGC Graded Cases to get SS's

72 posts in this topic

Any bad/good experiences in doing so?? Books coming back graded as less?? I'm thinking about doing so and was wondering if anyone has any past experiences that they are willing to post. Thanks.....

Was

Battle-Front23CGC92-1.jpg

Now

Battlefront23CGCSS9.jpg

I'd do it again, even if I knew it'd grade less as a CGC SS. Depends on how bad you like the person signing your book.

Before cracking the book or handing the book over to someone to be cracked out, check to see if it may have been overgraded (it happens).

Wow.........just........wow.

It's really not even about the actual books any more is it? It's about a number on a plastic case. Pathetic.

Dont forget money is involved, Brian :gossip:

At this point it would seem that money is the only factor. :(

A lot depends are what you are trying to accomplish. If the signature is important to you, and it's not just a resale issue, then don't worry about the grade. For a modern book, in my opinion, if it's less than 9.8, then I don't really care if it's a 9.2 or a 9.0 or whatever.

I think Old Guy is right, too much focus goes into the grade. On one hand it makes collecting challenging, if you demand perfection and are trying to get a string of 9.8s, on the other hand it all gets a bit silly because sometimes the difference is microscopic, not to mention subjective.

The restoration check and signature authentication is more important to me as a collector. I have an amazing Fantasy #15 1.5 CGC SS by Stan Lee, and I'm just as happy with that as I would be with any other copy of it, since I have no intention of ever selling it. All I ever see of it, when I look inside the box it's kept in, is the cover, which even at that grade is complete, if a little chipped. It still shows a perfectly placed and beautiful Stan Lee signature.

The reason I'm saying all this is you can have a lot more fun and pickup more signatures and comic books without killing yourself financially if you can live with the lower grades. Of course the resale won't be as strong, so it all really depends on why you are collecting. Ok, I'll shut up now. :)

Soem times you get lucky sometimes you dont.

I have an ASM 500 that was a 9.6.. Now after sigs added it came back as a 9.8

take a chance.

Im gonna get my ASM 361 362 363 all at 9.8 cracked and subbed and take chance on them comming back the same

i've never opened up a CGC case before, for any reason...never had a reason, as I have dupes of 90% of my slabs.

anyway, my question is this:

what is the quickest and easiest way to actually open a CGC slab? should i start at a specific corner? or on the side? i have three books i'm going to pop out of there slab for a millar signing at the end of the month, so any help would be cool. :)

thanks in advance :)

i've never opened up a CGC case before, for any reason...never had a reason, as I have dupes of 90% of my slabs.

anyway, my question is this:

what is the quickest and easiest way to actually open a CGC slab? should i start at a specific corner? or on the side? i have three books i'm going to pop out of there slab for a millar signing at the end of the month, so any help would be cool. :)

thanks in advance :)

The side is easiest. Then just be really careful when you're taking the book out of the inner well. I just carefully cut along the side and the top and slip the book out.

Also, in regards to my experience resubmitting already slabbed books for grading, I luckily haven't had any grade drops. I also have experienced a few grade bumps.

My favorite example -

Was -

Avengers4CGC.jpg

Is -

Avengers4CGCSS.jpg

Also, in regards to my experience resubmitting already slabbed books for grading, I luckily haven't had any grade drops. I also have experienced a few grade bumps.

My favorite example -

Was -

Avengers4CGC.jpg

Is -

Avengers4CGCSS.jpg

Nice.... I'm going to give the book already slabbed to CGC themselves and let them handle the book.

An unfortunate example of this is a Captain America #100 that is currently listed on eBay (link below). It began as a 9.8 (which made it a $4,000+ book), and ended up as a 9.6 ($1,750+ unsigned) because Stan Lee crossed out his signature when he realized he did not have enough space to complete his signature and then signed in a different place.

As a fan, I'd consider the crossout a bonus, because it's still "extra" writing from Stan Lee, and it doesn't detract from the "good" signature.

SSIM128.jpg

1ASM238.jpg

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the point in having a comic signed on the inside if you're going to get it slabbed? Do you really get enough enjoyment out of "knowing" the autograph is there that you don't need to actually see it?

Actually....I do. :)

Guest Grails

Me too. Lets face it, no matter how much you love a book, you may tire of it in 20 years and decide to sell or trade it. When that time comes, the best candidate that will appeal to both sides is an interior signed book.

Guest Grails
An unfortunate example of this is a Captain America #100 that is currently listed on eBay (link below). It began as a 9.8 (which made it a $4,000+ book), and ended up as a 9.6 ($1,750+ unsigned) because Stan Lee crossed out his signature when he realized he did not have enough space to complete his signature and then signed in a different place.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CGC-9-6-Captain-America-100-Stan-Lee-Signature-Series_W0QQitemZ160270072331QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160270072331&_trkparms=72%3A1073|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

Yikes, I can't believe Stan did that :eek:

Can't win them all though the other 3 SA 9.8's I've submitted all kept the grade. It's been a fun gamble. I wonder if that's how the giant spider sketch came about on that ASM book.

SSIM128.jpg

1ASM238.jpg

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the point in having a comic signed on the inside if you're going to get it slabbed? Do you really get enough enjoyment out of "knowing" the autograph is there that you don't need to actually see it?

Actually....I do. :)

yeah but your just weird