• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How can I found out new comic sales numbers?

9 posts in this topic

I have an interest in finding out how many copies of each issue of various new comics sell each month. For example, can I find out sales figures for The Spirit, The Fantastic Four, Superman, and others? I thought that publishers like Marvel, DC had to publicly post monthly or annual sales figures somewhere. Is that true?

I would like to find out how my comic tastes compare to the overall comic sales figures.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info. I did not think the sales figures would be so low. I thought in the 50's it was not unusual to sell 550k issues. The top seller in June 2008 Secret Invasion only has 175k! And one of my favorites, American Splendor, only sells 5700 copies each month? Am I missing something? They would never print a comic with such a low run- only 100 sold per state?

Thanks for the info. I did not think the sales figures would be so low. I thought in the 50's it was not unusual to sell 550k issues. The top seller in June 2008 Secret Invasion only has 175k! And one of my favorites, American Splendor, only sells 5700 copies each month? Am I missing something? They would never print a comic with such a low run- only 10 sold per state?

Titles in the 40's hit about 1.5 Mil an issue.

Print runs today are much lower than they used to be though 5700 does not sound right for a publisher.

R.

Your math is a bit off. 5,700 copies is 114 per state. And remember, the US is not the only country that buys comics! :makepoint:

You're correct about today's print runs vs. the past. Print runs today are only a shadow of what they use to be. Comics used to be a primary source of entertainment for children. Needless to say, they aren't any longer.

Print runs today are much lower than they used to be though 5700 does not sound right for a publisher.

No, that is correct. American Spendor is more or less an indie book, so it makes sense.