• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scarce High Grade ASM 28 CGC 9.0 !!!

113 posts in this topic

Without sounding paranoid, nor accusatory, the more I've thought about this deal, is the standard SOP established for BOTH PARTIES safety and responsibility, especially with large dollar transactions (i.e., anything over $100) in place? to ascertain, a few steps should be undertaken... :baiting:

(a) selling a few lower-price items, say, certainly, $25 or less to establish an address and a follow-through...

(b) divulge the best-to-your-knowledge history of the books (which I do not yet be to be divulged), their prov if you will, which is always interesting and what a comic book blog is all about...

© We're not here to just buy the book... :sumo: We want to get to know it before we date it, let alone buy it! :sumo: :sumo:

(d) Seriously, contact someone here on the boards for an in-person, and clear this thing out...no one here wants to lay $10-Kay down and report back a week later they got burned... doh!(shrug)

(e) all of the above

2c

Without sounding paranoid, nor accusatory, the more I've thought about this deal, is the standard SOP established for BOTH PARTIES safety and responsibility, especially with large dollar transactions (i.e., anything over $100) in place? to ascertain, a few steps should be undertaken... :baiting:

(a) selling a few lower-price items, say, certainly, $25 or less to establish an address and a follow-through...

(b) divulge the best-to-your-knowledge history of the books (which I do not yet be to be divulged), their prov if you will, which is always interesting and what a comic book blog is all about...

© We're not here to just buy the book... :sumo: We want to get to know it before we date it, let alone buy it! :sumo: :sumo:

(d) Seriously, contact someone here on the boards for an in-person, and clear this thing out...no one here wants to lay $10-Kay down and report back a week later they got burned... doh!(shrug)

(e) all of the above

2c

Ok, to address. I found this site looking for a spot to sell my collection, but the ONLY books that I have 'Set in stone accurate grading' are my 2 CGC books. I didn't know it was going to be such pandamonium. I WANT to sell my whole collection in the long run but I don't have the 'correct' grades on them. I've been posting some of my comics in the 'can you spare a grade' and sending scans (I JUST got my scanner up and working today) to a bunch of board members that have been pm'ing me. I'm TRYING to get a FAIR and ACCURATE grade on these so people don't get the book and say WTF and get pissed at me! I'm VERY new to all of this, all's I did was collect these things for about 10 years and that was about 20 years ago when i started. I didn't/don't know about grading and i NEVER read any of them, I bought them for 'future value' and that was it. I'm sorry that 'newbies' have a bad name, i'm doing the best I can. I have a mailbox full of pm's I'm trying to keep up with everyday and all day. Please be patient with me. I'm not here to burn, I'm here to learn. Once i can get some grades on my 'raw' stuff i want/plan on selling them off to! The price I listed this at was suggested to me by a 'veteran' on this forum. Him and a couple of others are getting me 'up to speed' on how things 'work' on this board. you want history on these books, I was a paperboy at the age of 11 when i started collecting comics. I lived pretty much in the comic shop and LOVED to spend all the money i made(Plus some, my parents had to pay the paper bill more times than i can remember) on comics. I was infatuated with them from11 till about 21. Then things calmed down. I decided near the 'end of my collecting days' that i wasn't going to buy anything current. My goal was to complete all the different titles i had from 1-wherever i was at. Well i did my best. I hacked away at ASM, Xmen, Incredible Hulk, Lady Death, and countless others. When i realized that it was just getting way too expensive and the upkeep of changing the mylar bags and acid free backing every 4 years(Not to meantion the amount of time it took to do this) i gave up. There they've sat untouched for the last few years. Now due to financial situations it's time to sell the only part of my childhood that I can always crack a smile on when i think of just how excited i got when the 'new' comics were coming in the next day at the comic shop. I'll never get what i've invested into these, just like most things in life. But i gotta' do what I can.

And what do you mean when you say "Seriously, contact someone here on the boards for an in-person, and clear this thing out" ?? I've done everything I can to show i'm 'for real' i even said they can come and get it in person!??

As for the paypal thing, I was a LOYAL customer with them for OVER 8 years. They screwed me around 2 weeks ago and now i want NOTHING to do with them or their business, but (I feel like a broken record) if GETTING PAYPAL AGAIN is the ONLY way i can make these transactions happen then i said i would GET ANOTHER ACCOUNT! I'm NOT trying to make this hard or frustrating. I just want to sell my stuff. I understand it's 'Not just a book' to the people on this forum, but to me i HAVE to think of it as 'just a book' because it makes it easier to sell it, not because i WANT to but because i HAVE to. No sell books, No get my car back. Need my car, LOVE my car. Sorry if this seems like i'm 'rambling' but I'm getting VERY frustrated! I'm getting 'mean' pm's from people, and i'm doing my best to make EVERYONE happy... yet only out of 11,631 Registered Users(Current number on my screen) I've only been greeted by 5-8 members... I don't know if this is how people usually get 'initiated' or whatnot but come one guys, it's rather you're interested or not. Why argue? Why get upset? I got people telling me i'm crazy for listing this so high as a 'newbie'... does it matter if i've been on here for 30 years if i still have the same grade comic? A 9.0 is a 9.0 plain and simple. I don't know how i can make someone that wants to buy it any more comfortable. I've offered to sell in person, start another paypal account, I've put up scans, camera phone pics, my ebay id, i've even given 1 member the barcode id so they can call the CGC and get the 'notes' on it (Which i'm curious about because I didn't even know such a thing existed!?). Like i've said numerous times on here, EVERYONE is a 'newbie' at one time or another, so don't hate, educate :)

Thank you, also feel free to pm me if you have more problems, or non ASM ?'s because this topic is already several pages long and it's not because someone 'wants to buy it'.

Thanks again

Hey Eyekndy. I hope you understand that the feedback you are getting on this thread isn't hostile or critical. They are telling you that you have not established a reputation on this board yet. There is nothing wrong with being a 'newbie', in fact most of us love new people joining the board. Just understand that established members who have bought and sold many comics on the board are going to sell comics quicker and for more $$. We don't really have a feedback system like Ebay and we must rely on things like the number of posts a member has and a members reputation for grading often vouched for by previous buyers. Buyers do like to pay using Paypal because if something goes wrong they can get their $$ back from Paypal, just like Ebay.

And for the record, I've been disappointed a couple of times by board members who have been here a long time and bought and sold tons of comics.

And i understand that completly! But since i have NO clue when it comes to grading would it be 'fair' to members for me to just sell comics on here and say they're one grade (Ex: 8.0) and they really be lower (Ex: 7.0) or vice versa just so i can get my reputation up? The only reason i've started out with the 'Big Guns' is because those are the ONLY 2 books that I know for a fact are a specific grade. I have a bunch of comics on the 'brother can you spare a grade' thread waiting to see what the 'people' consider/think/see my book as so i CAN start selling my comics. I'm trying to make everyone happy here. If more people would hope on those threads for me then maybe i woulda' sold some comics by now... who knows... and i can't stand paypal but i can see that's the ONLY way i'm gonna' be able to sell my books :( Which is fine, i've said several times on here i would do that if that's what my 'buyer' wants. But i haven't gotten a buyer yet and that's why i haven't done just that. Also isn't there a 'max transaction' amount? I thought when i had my account it said something like $500 a month or something like that... how would i accept payment for more?? I don't want a Premium account because last time i checked it costs money to have it and they take a percentage of your money recieved right?? I had the free E-bank checking with a CC as backup before...For any REAL answers to my paypal question(s) please pm me, i don't want to keep filling up this thread. Thanks

Hey Eyekndy. I hope you understand that the feedback you are getting on this thread isn't hostile or critical. They are telling you that you have not established a reputation on this board yet. There is nothing wrong with being a 'newbie', in fact most of us love new people joining the board. Just understand that established members who have bought and sold many comics on the board are going to sell comics quicker and for more $$. We don't really have a feedback system like Ebay and we must rely on things like the number of posts a member has and a members reputation for grading often vouched for by previous buyers. Buyers do like to pay using Paypal because if something goes wrong they can get their $$ back from Paypal, just like Ebay.

And for the record, I've been disappointed a couple of times by board members who have been here a long time and bought and sold tons of comics.

Try selling some of your low value books (i.e. under $50) here first to establish a reputation for a few months. Then offer the higher value stuff ($50 to $300), and then the real high value stuff.

If you can't grade get a good camera, post good photos of front and back covers, describe the book in words, and sel it that way.

Welcome Eyekndy! :hi:

Here is an idea.

Take the best picture that you can of your raw books that you would like to sell. Scan would be better!!!

Post them in the "Hey Buddy Can You Spare A Grade" section.

Describe any unseen flaws.

Let the fellow boardies help grade them for you.

If you are satisfied with the grade after several posts then post them for sale and state board graded at __.

Just a thought.

Good luck!! (thumbs u

Thank you, also feel free to pm me if you have more problems, or non ASM ?'s because this topic is already several pages long and it's not because someone 'wants to buy it'.

Thanks again

I want to buy it - even made an offer to send a MO... :)

Not to sound like a insufficiently_thoughtful_person but what's "GPA" in reference to this?

GPA = GPAnalysis

A site that tracks sales of CGC books so you can see what past sales are for specific issues in each grade. I can post or PM you the data for this book if you'd like.

So, what is the GPA for this? hm

I'm not trying to be hostile...I was actually just trying to offer some helpful advice...I can understand your frustration but you're trying to sell your books and it sounds like you'd like to generate some cash fairly quickly and not spend 2-3 months selling smaller cost books to build up your rep...

What I meant by an in-person was contact one of the respected board members (or dealers) and use them as a bona-fide third party whereby you could ship the item to them and they broker the sale...that's one idea...

Or just meet up with someone if they live/work close by...that sortof thing...that could get you quicker cred and/or quicker sales, especially for the two big books...

GOOD LUCK! :headbang:

Ok, I'll be 'editing' my 1st posting on here to include Paypal too. I JUST created another account (Still having the bad taste in my mouth), it's gonna' take a couple of days to become 'verified' again. I signed up for the "Premier" account because that's the only way I can accept over $500/month. I however am NOT wanting to accept CC transactions because i think a 4/9% charge is CRAZY!! Am i still being to unreasonable? I'm REALLY trying here guys. I think i should get some 'atta-boy reputation points' just for agreeing to sign up for paypals crappy service :golfclap:

Anyways, by the middle of the week my account should be verified. Also PLEASE go to my 'brother can you spare a grade' threads and help me with the grading so i CAN start building my rep!!! Thanks again all and happy buying! :)

(e) all of the above

2c

Ok, to address. I found this site looking for a spot to sell my collection, but the ONLY books that I have 'Set in stone accurate grading' are my 2 CGC books. I didn't know it was going to be such pandamonium. I WANT to sell my whole collection in the long run but I don't have the 'correct' grades on them. I've been posting some of my comics in the 'can you spare a grade' and sending scans (I JUST got my scanner up and working today) to a bunch of board members that have been pm'ing me. I'm TRYING to get a FAIR and ACCURATE grade on these so people don't get the book and say WTF and get pissed at me! I'm VERY new to all of this, all's I did was collect these things for about 10 years and that was about 20 years ago when i started. I didn't/don't know about grading and i NEVER read any of them, I bought them for 'future value' and that was it. I'm sorry that 'newbies' have a bad name, i'm doing the best I can. I have a mailbox full of pm's I'm trying to keep up with everyday and all day. Please be patient with me. I'm not here to burn, I'm here to learn. Once i can get some grades on my 'raw' stuff i want/plan on selling them off to! The price I listed this at was suggested to me by a 'veteran' on this forum. Him and a couple of others are getting me 'up to speed' on how things 'work' on this board. you want history on these books, I was a paperboy at the age of 11 when i started collecting comics. I lived pretty much in the comic shop and LOVED to spend all the money i made(Plus some, my parents had to pay the paper bill more times than i can remember) on comics. I was infatuated with them from11 till about 21. Then things calmed down. I decided near the 'end of my collecting days' that i wasn't going to buy anything current. My goal was to complete all the different titles i had from 1-wherever i was at. Well i did my best. I hacked away at ASM, Xmen, Incredible Hulk, Lady Death, and countless others. When i realized that it was just getting way too expensive and the upkeep of changing the mylar bags and acid free backing every 4 years(Not to meantion the amount of time it took to do this) i gave up. There they've sat untouched for the last few years. Now due to financial situations it's time to sell the only part of my childhood that I can always crack a smile on when i think of just how excited i got when the 'new' comics were coming in the next day at the comic shop. I'll never get what i've invested into these, just like most things in life. But i gotta' do what I can.

And what do you mean when you say "Seriously, contact someone here on the boards for an in-person, and clear this thing out" ?? I've done everything I can to show i'm 'for real' i even said they can come and get it in person!??

As for the paypal thing, I was a LOYAL customer with them for OVER 8 years. They screwed me around 2 weeks ago and now i want NOTHING to do with them or their business, but (I feel like a broken record) if GETTING PAYPAL AGAIN is the ONLY way i can make these transactions happen then i said i would GET ANOTHER ACCOUNT! I'm NOT trying to make this hard or frustrating. I just want to sell my stuff. I understand it's 'Not just a book' to the people on this forum, but to me i HAVE to think of it as 'just a book' because it makes it easier to sell it, not because i WANT to but because i HAVE to. No sell books, No get my car back. Need my car, LOVE my car. Sorry if this seems like i'm 'rambling' but I'm getting VERY frustrated! I'm getting 'mean' pm's from people, and i'm doing my best to make EVERYONE happy... yet only out of 11,631 Registered Users(Current number on my screen) I've only been greeted by 5-8 members... I don't know if this is how people usually get 'initiated' or whatnot but come one guys, it's rather you're interested or not. Why argue? Why get upset? I got people telling me i'm crazy for listing this so high as a 'newbie'... does it matter if i've been on here for 30 years if i still have the same grade comic? A 9.0 is a 9.0 plain and simple. I don't know how i can make someone that wants to buy it any more comfortable. I've offered to sell in person, start another paypal account, I've put up scans, camera phone pics, my ebay id, i've even given 1 member the barcode id so they can call the CGC and get the 'notes' on it (Which i'm curious about because I didn't even know such a thing existed!?). Like i've said numerous times on here, EVERYONE is a 'newbie' at one time or another, so don't hate, educate :)

Thanks again

I'm not impressed by the rant. I saw two very nice slabbed copies being offered by a newbie who I assume is trying to avoid commissions in order to maximize his return. Otherwise, why should a newbie sell on this site? Can anyone vouch for him? Has anyone seen the books in person? Have we seen any newbie's in the past that attempted a scam on this site? Why take the risk without recommendations? I'm not saying there is a problem. I'm saying, who wants to take the risk?

My experience selling on this site is as follows:

1)I sell books (slabbed) which I offer at what I believe to be market prices. I might better the auction house's net returns (no costs selling here) very slightly. More often than not I pass through the cost savings to the buyer. I am happy to facilitate the transaction to a board member. I do get annoyed when I offer books which i believe to be priced rather attractively and then receive "low ball" bids by PM but that's the game. Who should I complain to? I generally walk away from this site and offer the books elsewhere. I generally gross a bit higher for the books elsewhere however I am usually left with the net I was asking on this site. However they sell.

What I am saying is that in my opinion there is no magic here. THe books are what they are and the prices generally paid are not unusually attractive to the seller. However, they generally are fair prices. Taking the emotion out of the equation, this is a reasonably good site to offer books but only if a seller understands what to expect. Crazy "upside" bids are a very, very rare commodity.

I believe that's the most important point for a newbie to understand.

I

Ok, I'll be 'editing' my 1st posting on here to include Paypal too. I JUST created another account (Still having the bad taste in my mouth), it's gonna' take a couple of days to become 'verified' again. I signed up for the "Premier" account because that's the only way I can accept over $500/month. I however am NOT wanting to accept CC transactions because i think a 4/9% charge is CRAZY!! Am i still being to unreasonable? I'm REALLY trying here guys. I think i should get some 'atta-boy reputation points' just for agreeing to sign up for paypals crappy service :golfclap:

Anyways, by the middle of the week my account should be verified. Also PLEASE go to my 'brother can you spare a grade' threads and help me with the grading so i CAN start building my rep!!! Thanks again all and happy buying! :)

It cracks me up that these guys convinced you to get paypal, when many around here whine all the time about how crapppy it is.., and how paypal offers no protection whatsoever. doh!

Good luck with your sale. Everyone is new at one time. If I had the bucks to negotiate a book like this, I'm sure we could figure something out.