• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scarce High Grade ASM 28 CGC 9.0 !!!

113 posts in this topic

This is an interesting thread for many reasons, but I'd like some of the members making comments about earning reputation points on the boards to answer one simple question for me. Why are people selling on the boards still using free email addresses? I thought the boards did not allow free addresses with registration. And if some of the things raised in this thread are really that important to defining a sellers reputation, I would be far more inclined to deal with someone with an email that I can trace back to a real persons address than to to deal with someone with ties to one or two board members (I've been here long enough to know how the latter has broken down as a reliable form of reputation currency).

Nice book...I am on Long Island...where are you located in NY?

Located near Batavia NY, which is exactly in the middle of Buffalo NY and Rochester NY

I see you're a hulk fan, I ALSO have a CGC 9.0 Incredible Hulk 181 that I'm going to be selling on here. Still trying to find out a selling price for that too. That's why I haven't posted it yet :(

BTW: Welcome to the boards. I'm not going to inundate you with anymore PM's - feel free to message me when your ready to move the Hulk 181 as I may be interested. Thanks

Why are people selling on the boards still using free email addresses? I thought the boards did not allow free addresses with registration.

CGC does crack down on free email address registration but they can't keep track of them all and do ask for help in being made aware of such domains. It's in the FAQ somewhere.

Why are people selling on the boards still using free email addresses? I thought the boards did not allow free addresses with registration.

CGC does crack down on free email address registration but they can't keep track of them all and do ask for help in being made aware of such domains. It's in the FAQ somewhere.

Thanks for the response General Zod. What I was referring to is somewhat related to this matter, but more a commentary on upholding systems of trust in the forums marketplace area. To be fair, lets first address a few facts. The first is that Arch (the boards) put in place a number of transparency safeguards to decrease shill account activity, and one of them was to compile a list of free email service providers (your typical hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc.), and these lists are only as useful as keeping up with any new ones that pop up. Your point about making the board administrators aware is a point well taken and I think that Arch does a great job keeping up in this regard. Now, as I understood it, members who had already registerred prior to these changes were allowed to keep those accounts linked to any free email accounts (grandfathered in so to speak).

What I am referring to instead speaks more to the emphasis being placed on new members to build reputation points to establish some system of trust in the marketplace area. This makes total sense. However, my comment refers specifically to the issue where longstanding members are using free email accounts as the only link back to them. In the recent weeks since returning to the boards, I've transacted with several board members who were selling comics in the forum selling only area. I did not recognize any of these sellers, but at least one referred to himself as a long-standing seller on the boards. So why is it acceptable to keep new sellers in line, and not do the same with longstanding sellers who engage new buyers into transactions where the buyer might not feel comfortable?

As hit on yesterday by drbanner, the selling format of first taker is a "seller tactic" and certainly doesn't help the matter I am presenting, as in each case, I was not aware that the invidual I had entered into a transaction with had a hotmail or yahoo email account until after I accepted to purchase (ie. please send payment to myemailaddy@hotmail.com).

While the idea of backing out from the deal had crossed my mind, I didn't want to appear to be an alarmist right from the get go, and decided to forgo what would otherwise seem an embarrassing situation. One opt-out would be to ask if the seller accepts money-order or bank draft, and in this way, you have something that links you back to the seller. But as most sellers request PayPal only, not having a traceable email puts the buyer in an unfair position, and bypasses one of the most fundamental elements of upholding consumer confidence. Having had much experience with PayPal (some good, some bad), I am also not entirely comfortable with falling back on PayPal to do good on a deal gone sour.

While the practice of asking the seller for their home address might make the seller feel uneasy about sharing their personal information, it is in my opinion that more sellers ought to look at it from the buyers point of view, and consider offering to share this information at the point of sale if they are using a free email account like hotmail, yahoo or gmail to accept payments or to communicate with buyers offline.

2c

Having had much experience with PayPal (some good, some bad), I am also not entirely comfortable with falling back on PayPal to do good on a deal gone sour.

While the practice of asking the seller for their home address might make the seller feel uneasy about sharing their personal information, it is in my opinion that more sellers ought to look at it from the buyers point of view, and consider offering to share this information at the point of sale if they are using a free email account like hotmail, yahoo or gmail to accept payments or to communicate with buyers offline. 2c

Well i got burned 2 years ago on a buy thru paypal and only 1/3 of my money was 'recovered'. I don't feel 'safe' using them either. But it's their lack of care for the customer and their customer service that made me cancel my account of 8 years in good standing.

As for the home address, I agree. That's why i said they could pick it up if wanted. I'm not here to 'sham' I just have some great stuff (To me it is at least) and i'm ready to part with it.

While the practice of asking the seller for their home address might make the seller feel uneasy about sharing their personal information, it is in my opinion that more sellers ought to look at it from the buyers point of view, and consider offering to share this information at the point of sale if they are using a free email account like hotmail, yahoo or gmail to accept payments or to communicate with buyers offline.

2c

Doesn't seem unfair as the seller needs the buyer's address for mailing.

Without sounding paranoid, nor accusatory, the more I've thought about this deal, is the standard SOP established for BOTH PARTIES safety and responsibility, especially with large dollar transactions (i.e., anything over $100) in place? to ascertain, a few steps should be undertaken... :baiting:

(a) selling a few lower-price items, say, certainly, $25 or less to establish an address and a follow-through...

(b) divulge the best-to-your-knowledge history of the books (which I do not yet be to be divulged), their prov if you will, which is always interesting and what a comic book blog is all about...

© We're not here to just buy the book... :sumo: We want to get to know it before we date it, let alone buy it! :sumo: :sumo:

(d) Seriously, contact someone here on the boards for an in-person, and clear this thing out...no one here wants to lay $10-Kay down and report back a week later they got burned... doh!(shrug)

(e) all of the above

2c

Ok, to address. I found this site looking for a spot to sell my collection, but the ONLY books that I have 'Set in stone accurate grading' are my 2 CGC books. I didn't know it was going to be such pandamonium. I WANT to sell my whole collection in the long run but I don't have the 'correct' grades on them. I've been posting some of my comics in the 'can you spare a grade' and sending scans (I JUST got my scanner up and working today) to a bunch of board members that have been pm'ing me. I'm TRYING to get a FAIR and ACCURATE grade on these so people don't get the book and say WTF and get pissed at me! I'm VERY new to all of this, all's I did was collect these things for about 10 years and that was about 20 years ago when i started. I didn't/don't know about grading and i NEVER read any of them, I bought them for 'future value' and that was it. I'm sorry that 'newbies' have a bad name, i'm doing the best I can. I have a mailbox full of pm's I'm trying to keep up with everyday and all day. Please be patient with me. I'm not here to burn, I'm here to learn. Once i can get some grades on my 'raw' stuff i want/plan on selling them off to! The price I listed this at was suggested to me by a 'veteran' on this forum. Him and a couple of others are getting me 'up to speed' on how things 'work' on this board. you want history on these books, I was a paperboy at the age of 11 when i started collecting comics. I lived pretty much in the comic shop and LOVED to spend all the money i made(Plus some, my parents had to pay the paper bill more times than i can remember) on comics. I was infatuated with them from11 till about 21. Then things calmed down. I decided near the 'end of my collecting days' that i wasn't going to buy anything current. My goal was to complete all the different titles i had from 1-wherever i was at. Well i did my best. I hacked away at ASM, Xmen, Incredible Hulk, Lady Death, and countless others. When i realized that it was just getting way too expensive and the upkeep of changing the mylar bags and acid free backing every 4 years(Not to meantion the amount of time it took to do this) i gave up. There they've sat untouched for the last few years. Now due to financial situations it's time to sell the only part of my childhood that I can always crack a smile on when i think of just how excited i got when the 'new' comics were coming in the next day at the comic shop. I'll never get what i've invested into these, just like most things in life. But i gotta' do what I can.

And what do you mean when you say "Seriously, contact someone here on the boards for an in-person, and clear this thing out" ?? I've done everything I can to show i'm 'for real' i even said they can come and get it in person!??

As for the paypal thing, I was a LOYAL customer with them for OVER 8 years. They screwed me around 2 weeks ago and now i want NOTHING to do with them or their business, but (I feel like a broken record) if GETTING PAYPAL AGAIN is the ONLY way i can make these transactions happen then i said i would GET ANOTHER ACCOUNT! I'm NOT trying to make this hard or frustrating. I just want to sell my stuff. I understand it's 'Not just a book' to the people on this forum, but to me i HAVE to think of it as 'just a book' because it makes it easier to sell it, not because i WANT to but because i HAVE to. No sell books, No get my car back. Need my car, LOVE my car. Sorry if this seems like i'm 'rambling' but I'm getting VERY frustrated! I'm getting 'mean' pm's from people, and i'm doing my best to make EVERYONE happy... yet only out of 11,631 Registered Users(Current number on my screen) I've only been greeted by 5-8 members... I don't know if this is how people usually get 'initiated' or whatnot but come one guys, it's rather you're interested or not. Why argue? Why get upset? I got people telling me i'm crazy for listing this so high as a 'newbie'... does it matter if i've been on here for 30 years if i still have the same grade comic? A 9.0 is a 9.0 plain and simple. I don't know how i can make someone that wants to buy it any more comfortable. I've offered to sell in person, start another paypal account, I've put up scans, camera phone pics, my ebay id, i've even given 1 member the barcode id so they can call the CGC and get the 'notes' on it (Which i'm curious about because I didn't even know such a thing existed!?). Like i've said numerous times on here, EVERYONE is a 'newbie' at one time or another, so don't hate, educate :)

Thank you, also feel free to pm me if you have more problems, or non ASM ?'s because this topic is already several pages long and it's not because someone 'wants to buy it'.

Thanks again

I'm not impressed by the rant. I saw two very nice slabbed copies being offered by a newbie who I assume is trying to avoid commissions in order to maximize his return. Otherwise, why should a newbie sell on this site? Can anyone vouch for him? Has anyone seen the books in person? Have we seen any newbie's in the past that attempted a scam on this site? Why take the risk without recommendations? I'm not saying there is a problem. I'm saying, who wants to take the risk?

My experience selling on this site is as follows:

1)I sell books (slabbed) which I offer at what I believe to be market prices. I might better the auction house's net returns (no costs selling here) very slightly. More often than not I pass through the cost savings to the buyer. I am happy to facilitate the transaction to a board member. I do get annoyed when I offer books which i believe to be priced rather attractively and then receive "low ball" bids by PM but that's the game. Who should I complain to? I generally walk away from this site and offer the books elsewhere. I generally gross a bit higher for the books elsewhere however I am usually left with the net I was asking on this site. However they sell.

What I am saying is that in my opinion there is no magic here. THe books are what they are and the prices generally paid are not unusually attractive to the seller. However, they generally are fair prices. Taking the emotion out of the equation, this is a reasonably good site to offer books but only if a seller understands what to expect. Crazy "upside" bids are a very, very rare commodity.

I believe that's the most important point for a newbie to understand.

I

I'll give you another perfect example of what the boards are about...(and you're absolutely right jkrk, at some point I think the no fees thing should at minimum be shared, especially for a high-priced book)...which was my X-MEN #1 CGC 7.0 (GPA $4450 at the time)...so I knocked the book 10% (what I would have forked over to Clink) and put the book up at $3999 which was snapped up by filter81 in a heartbeat...great deal for both seller and buyer ( :cloud9: ) !

On top of that, I told filter81 if he wanted to send a cashier's check, I'd further split the Paypal fee which was about $120 if I recall...

Nothing better that both parties walking away feeling 110% positive... 2c

I'll give you another perfect example of what the boards are about...(and you're absolutely right jkrk, at some point I think the no fees thing should at minimum be shared, especially for a high-priced book)...which was my X-MEN #1 CGC 7.0 (GPA $4450 at the time)...so I knocked the book 10% (what I would have forked over to Clink) and put the book up at $3999 which was snapped up by filter81 in a heartbeat...great deal for both seller and buyer ( :cloud9: ) !

On top of that, I told filter81 if he wanted to send a cashier's check, I'd further split the Paypal fee which was about $120 if I recall...

Nothing better that both parties walking away feeling 110% positive... 2c

(thumbs u

To me: Eliminating and hopefully splitting (between the buyer and the seller) the savings of not paying 3rd party costs is what I thought this section is about.

Thanks for the response General Zod. What I was referring to is somewhat related to this matter, but more a commentary on upholding systems of trust in the forums marketplace area. To be fair, lets first address a few facts. The first is that Arch (the boards) put in place a number of transparency safeguards to decrease shill account activity, and one of them was to compile a list of free email service providers (your typical hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc.), and these lists are only as useful as keeping up with any new ones that pop up. Your point about making the board administrators aware is a point well taken and I think that Arch does a great job keeping up in this regard. Now, as I understood it, members who had already registerred prior to these changes were allowed to keep those accounts linked to any free email accounts (grandfathered in so to speak).

What I am referring to instead speaks more to the emphasis being placed on new members to build reputation points to establish some system of trust in the marketplace area. This makes total sense. However, my comment refers specifically to the issue where longstanding members are using free email accounts as the only link back to them. In the recent weeks since returning to the boards, I've transacted with several board members who were selling comics in the forum selling only area. I did not recognize any of these sellers, but at least one referred to himself as a long-standing seller on the boards. So why is it acceptable to keep new sellers in line, and not do the same with longstanding sellers who engage new buyers into transactions where the buyer might not feel comfortable?

As hit on yesterday by drbanner, the selling format of first taker is a "seller tactic" and certainly doesn't help the matter I am presenting, as in each case, I was not aware that the invidual I had entered into a transaction with had a hotmail or yahoo email account until after I accepted to purchase (ie. please send payment to myemailaddy@hotmail.com).

While the idea of backing out from the deal had crossed my mind, I didn't want to appear to be an alarmist right from the get go, and decided to forgo what would otherwise seem an embarrassing situation. One opt-out would be to ask if the seller accepts money-order or bank draft, and in this way, you have something that links you back to the seller. But as most sellers request PayPal only, not having a traceable email puts the buyer in an unfair position, and bypasses one of the most fundamental elements of upholding consumer confidence. Having had much experience with PayPal (some good, some bad), I am also not entirely comfortable with falling back on PayPal to do good on a deal gone sour.

2c

Postal money orders. :cloud9:

When you cash them at the post office they write down your driver license info on it.

comicwiz,

Some very, very good points to bring up.

I strongly encourage you to copy and paste that post to the General Discussion thread so everyone else can look at that and perhaps foster some reform into how we do things around the Sales forum.

One thing I did want to mention, though, is that signing up with CGC/Collectors Society requires a paid email address (to the best of their knowledge), however, PayPal does not require that, thus the Yahoo/Hotmail addresses you may see bandied about. My PayPal is linked to my Hotmail address for a myriad of reasons and I actually only use my paid email account to access CGC and nothing else.

As for people disliking the PayPal fee, it's simple. Factor that into your selling price, always.

Well... didn't this turn out to be an interesting thread--albeit a long-winded one (sad coming from me!)

Welcome to the boards Eyekndy! As I'm sure you've discovered by now, while you certainly can avoid all the premiums of the auctions sites, you also need to be an informed seller to get by here (know how to grade accurately, etc). There's also a pretty high level of accountability and expectation for conduct between the buyer and seller--non-monetary fees for doing business here if you will.

Hell, I'm going home for Labor Day weekend to Oswego--just north of Rochester. If you've got some buyers here who are on the fence, I'd be willing to meet with you there and vouch for the books or cover down as the middleman. Just let me know--done it before for others here ;)

Wow, lots of discussion.

I didn't start out hating on the guy. I was just letting him know why someone might be hesitant to buy it (new person comes to the board, high dollar book, MO's only).

FWIW I hope he sells it and takes care of his needs. Its not in my collecting realm or affordability.