• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Help needed on Spider-Man #1 Platinum

9 posts in this topic

Hello guys/gals :)

Looking for your assistance once again for a consensus on a grade for this Awesome looking book! Thanks in advance! Oooh yeah and the 'smudge' marks on the back cover are fingerprints, I kept wiping them off but then when I'd reposition it on the scaner I'd end up touching it again! I took like 30 scans of this book and then finally just gave up and kept this one! lol:insane:

Defects(That i can see):

The spine is strange. Not sure what this cover is made of but it's real thick and heavy so it has a white line going all the way down it as if the book was opened all the way at one time. But the book isn't bent at all, just the colors gone from that spot. Not sure what that's called, I'd say Stress line that breaks color??

Cover: The spine has some cover cracks leading into the black box next to the spidey hangin in the top left corner. Are these called stress cracks? Or is that what they call Marvel Chipping? (Sorry I'm still new and learning the grading and terminology!) Also there's a smudge to the right of the hangen' spidey. And 2 small white dot marks next to the top staple.

Back Cover: A couple of horizontal hair line scratchs (Not noticable unless you get right up to the book examining it) under the medalion picture. Also all the white 'spots' in scan on back cover are lint from the kleenex I used to wipe off the scanner, Cover is solid black except for near the bottom right corner that whiteish mark is really there, that's NOT lint.

Corners are nice and pointy except for the spine. Spice shows slight wear on top and bottom corners. I think it has to do with the line going up and down it.

Thanks & i appreciate any and all usefull info!

Spider-Man1PlatinumFrontCover.jpg

Spider-Man1PlatinumBackCover.jpg

Thanks again and looking forward to the vast responses!!

If you want people to grade your books accurately (or, well, as accurately as you can do without holding the actual book), you really need to come up with better scans - the ones that you are posting are too small, too blurry, and the sides/corners are cropped. It's also always a good idea to scan you book against a colored background - it makes it so much easier to see what's going on with the corners.

Here's an example of what I mean:

http://www.cubancouncil.com/ms/aug08/asm-121-f.jpg

From your description and what little I can see in the picture, I'd say your book is an 8.5/9.0

The back cover of the Platinum was really glossy and shows off fingerprints like crazy, your description of the spine makes me think a little lower maybe an 8.0. I had a graded 9.0 of this book and the spine was in good shape

Dave H

If you want people to grade your books accurately (or, well, as accurately as you can do without holding the actual book), you really need to come up with better scans - the ones that you are posting are too small, too blurry, and the sides/corners are cropped. It's also always a good idea to scan you book against a colored background - it makes it so much easier to see what's going on with the corners.

Here's an example of what I mean:

http://www.cubancouncil.com/ms/aug08/asm-121-f.jpg

From your description and what little I can see in the picture, I'd say your book is an 8.5/9.0

Colored huh?? Ok, I'm still new to this scanning, the other person told me to use a sheet of white paper behind it to show off the corners... As for the croping, I'm extending the border outwards when i do the crop... is that wrong? I thought the furthur out the better? And I've uploaded them to photobucket on the "17"Screen" size... that's the biggest they'll let me... my actual scans are HUGE but they always get reduced in hosting... what do I do to change this?? I'm willing to try something different! (I'm always willing to learn something new if it's gonna' be benifical!) Thanks for the helpful info... Now i gotta' find some colored paper?!!? :pullhair:

No, extending the border outwards is right - the problem is that you're scanning your books with the edge of the book right next to the scanner edge. Look at the back cover scan - both the top & the left side of the scan are completely straight lines, which shows that they've been cropped.

Just move the book down & to the right, about an inch from the edge when you scan it - the goal here is to make sure that no part of the actual book gets cropped.

No, extending the border outwards is right - the problem is that you're scanning your books with the edge of the book right next to the scanner edge. Look at the back cover scan - both the top & the left side of the scan are completely straight lines, which shows that they've been cropped.

Just move the book down & to the right, about an inch from the edge when you scan it - the goal here is to make sure that no part of the actual book gets cropped.

Ok, I'll try that! Sorry for my 'ignorance' guys/gals, I'm really doing my best to try and learn all this stuff! :)And PLEASE if i'm doing anything else 'wrong' or in a 'lack of educated' way LET ME KNOW!! I'm trying to get all these scaned and on here because I plan on selling my collection! I'd HATE to have a potential buyer 'walk by me' just because I'm a '' when it comes to scanning and describing! :(

Maybe a 9.0...that's a neat book, an early dealers incentive....it might fair better if you can get a McFarlane signature witnessed and slabbed by CGC....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u