• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on book length creases?

9 posts in this topic

Just got in "Brave and Bold #79-Batman & Deadman", it looks to be a subsription crease because it's right down the middle. Is there any middle road for a book length crease that is subscription vs non-subscription? The book would be a solid 9.2-9.0 without the crease, or is it doomed to be no hugher than 3.0(first grade where book lenght crease is allowed? Thoughts and opinions, and should I leave negative feedback on the Bay since this was not mentioned? Described as HG 8.5 or better, but no mention of the BLC. confused-smiley-013.gif

Sounds like the seller deducted a grade for the crease, but not nearly enough. I always send back books I receive with glaring undisclosed defects *if* such was not evident in any scan. If it was there, but not mentioned, and I didn't see it I eat it. After a few harsh lessons to myself I am very careful with examining scans these days.

CGC grants "qualified" grades to otherwise high grade books with a single big defect, a practice I do not agree with. I take the average grade, which seems to me more reasonable than either hammering the book all the way down to 3.0 or calling it a "9.0 except"... There are enough of those amateurish grades on Ebay already.

So in this case I'd call the book a solid 6.0 Fine.

1) It would be helpful to see a scan of the book to determine the severity of the crease. Not all creases, even sub folds, are created equal, of course.

2) I'm pretty confident that despite whatever cut-off point the OS Guide (or Grading Guide) has for book-length folds, you could find CGCed exceptions to that rule. Personally, I don't think that all books with book-length creases are automatically a 3.0 at best. If as in your example the book would otherwise be a VF/NM or better, and the crease in question breaks color the entire length of the book, then yes it might only grade a VG-/VG or so... but I've seen sub folds that don't really break color, and have over many years diminished in severity, and would likely grade as high as FN in many (most) people's eyes.

3) If you can't resolve the situation with the seller to your satisfaction, then yes, this strikes me as solid grounds for negative feedback. After all, YOU'D have wanted to know that the seller in question is not entirely above-board, right? If a previous buyer had had the guts to leave a neg, you wouldn't be in this situation right now...

There is no color break, but of course being a subcsription crease it's what I call a "camel book" since it is also dimpled right down the middle. It would not be a 9.4 due to the "traveling of the cover" in the bindery, I'm going to leave it ungraded for now-sucks as it is a B&B key(IMHO). 893frustrated.gif