• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Non- SS Signed Books

17 posts in this topic

I have a comic that is signed by the writer. I know that it is not eligible for the CGC SS collection because it was not signed in front of a witness, but if I submit this book to be graded, would the graders be able to verify the signatures? Would it mention the signatures on the label it receives? Thanks

CGC doesn't verify signatures like PSA/DNA, JSA or BVG (in the card and sports memorabilia collecting world). According to the other posts, CGC might put a mention on the label like, XXXX XXXX written on front cover or something to that affect. I know the CGC SS guru's will chime in and correct me on this. They are a wealth of knowledge.

Thanks for the reply. Looking for any help possible. Also, if CGC doesnt recognize Signatures that are not SS, will the signature detract from the overall grade? The signatures are in perfect condition. Any help at all is appreciated.

Thanks Jason. I saw that thread, but re-read it and found my answers. Now my question is, this book would be a 9.6-9.4 without the signatures. This is also a modern comic. Would this comic most likely get a Qualified label? Thanks for the help guys.

Generally, if the book is high grade it will garner either a deduction on the grade or a qualified grade with the grade the book would have received minus the signature if it is signed on the cover. If the signaure is on the inside, then I believe it's a minor deduction but not qualified. With lower grades, it's counted as a defect but probably won't detract from the grade as it's allowed in lower grades.

I'm not a big slabber, but I'm pretty sure this is the rule of thumb for pre-signed books.

Generally, if the book is high grade it will garner either a deduction on the grade or a qualified grade with the grade the book would have received minus the signature if it is signed on the cover.

Is there anyway to choose between the 2 while you are submitting the comic? I would rather have the qualified label with a higher score, rather than universal label with a lesser score. If it is truly a high grade, what would make CGC decide whether to make it Qualified or not? Thanks for the help MacMan, just looking for a little more details. Thanks guys

Again, don't quote me on this but I believe you can contact CGC to let them know which option you would prefer. Depending on the book, it might be worthwhile checking the going rates on GPA for the lower universal label v. the qualified label (if you're looking to sell that is). Sometimes, you might find a slighty lower universal to sell for more than a higher graded qualified. Doesn't always make sense, but you'd be surprised.

The problem is, though, that if you opt for the blue label on a high grade book that would otherwise get a green qualified label, you're looking at a serious drop in grade - we're not talking going from a 9.6 to a 9.4 here, we're talking drops of multiple full points; CGC hammers writing on a cover if it isn't a qualified or signature series book.

I was going to before I would send it in, but it is actually on its way to me in the mail.. I bought it from another board member, but I will post it, and call CGC to get the scoop on if you can choose a preference on the qualified or universal label

To be honest, I would not spend the money to get something slabbed that's already signed, to either receive a qualified label or a low grade universal label.

If it's already signed, I'd just put that in a top loader. It's just a personal preference of mine.

That being said, Raph takes care of his books, and you made a solid purchase.

What is a top loader? But yea, I am new to the whole "scene" but loved this book, and this cover. I wanted to send in a book to CGC to see what its all about, and this is my best candidate to send in. I bought this for myself, and I figured that slabbing a book, regardless of re-sell value, would probably keep it in the best shape. Still weighing my options, but thank you for everybody for helping me out. I am used to boards, but none have had such nice people like here. Anymore help or advice is welcome. Thanks... even though I paid for this comic being signed, kind of wish it wasnt so i could SS it lol still happy with my purchase though, now i want to see the art in my hands lol

Top loaders/Top load holders are plastic holders that have an open top. They come in different sizes (for cards, art pages, comics, etc.). You should be able to purchase them at your local shop, or at various other comic shops (but check the link below to get an idea). It's not hard plastic, like a CGC case, and significantly cheaper.

http://www.cardboardgoldwholesale.com/toploaders.html

It's ultimately up to you on what you do with your books, but if you're going to get a book slabbed, I would suggest one that's unsigned for a universal grade or to get signed for Signature Series.