• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In the Eye of the Beholder

9 posts in this topic

Just posted a few twice up splash pages from Little Archie stories I own. I don't know if anyone has read these 60's adventure stories by Dexter Taylor and of course pioneered by Bob Bolling but in my opinion they represent some of the best of the best from Archie comics.

Yes, the strip turned into a humor gag thing later on in the 70's, but in the middle of the run it was full of danger and adventure. LA was constantly being attacked by gangsters or hermits with guns (and they used them), surviving airplane crashes, and rescuing the gang and himself from near death experiences..... I know, doesn't sound much like Archie comics, but check em out they are worth a read. My seven year old even compared these yarns to Jonny Quest. (I'll try and post the complete stories when I get a chance). I can't imagine anyone else in the world collects the artwork, but I thought it would be interesting to share a little pet subset of our hobby that definately falls into the catagory 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.

Does anyone else collect comic art that is off the radar so to speak?... and I guess I don't mean so much ugly as just way off of anyone's (except possibly the collector who owns them) 'best of the best' list. If you are brave enough to post them, it would be fun to hear about....

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=55580

My tastes are fairly eclectic.

One unashamed pleasure is . . .

The Harvey publishing outfit . . . which holds a special place in my heart. <3

I was born and raised in Liverpool, England - right next to Liverpool's football ground. At the bottom of the road where I lived, the nearby newsagents carried American comic-books. My earliest comic-book memories, from the early 1960s, were of the Harvey 'kiddie' titles. My sisters and I spent our pocket-monies on the Harvey books (before progressing onto Marvel, DC, various British titles, etc.).

To my delight, it's posiible to buy Harvey comic-book originals at very affordable prices!

Someone like Carl Barks goes recognized as a cartoonist genius, and his work commands mega-bucks, yet the likes of Warren Kremer (whom I consider to be up there with Barks) goes sorely under-appreciated.

sylboh.jpg

Just posted a few twice up splash pages from Little Archie stories I own. I don't know if anyone has read these 60's adventure stories by Dexter Taylor and of course pioneered by Bob Bolling but in my opinion they represent some of the best of the best from Archie comics.

Awesome pages - congrats!! (thumbs u

Kremer did great work, and the Harveys are unforgettable pieces of nostalgia. Myself I've been eyeing one of the early Little Dot covers for years, but some of those do go for pretty big bucks. I should just break down and buy one. It's funny but when tons of the covers are unloaded on the market as they have been in the past several years you almost get the feeling you don't have to buy them, that they will be around anytime you want one. But, as often happens the supply can suddenly dry up and they become scarce again. I think many years ago this happened with EC art. It was all there, all being auctioned in public more or less, but now, pieces are locked away and prices steep.

I too like Harvey art...and picked up quite a few Green Hornet pages at very affordable prices. I used to see a cover almost at every show, but they seem to be fully allocated by now.

I almost got into the humor stuff, as Heritage had a ton of Felix the Cat stuff that is just fun to read.

Nothing like covers going for less than the NM price for a comic.

Great stuff, Dan!

And although I don't own any, I agree the Archie material and other "funnybook" covers are great pieces of art and story. I like the one-page panel gags from Archie books and have considered buying a couple just for fun to put in my office at work. My super-hero stuff gets a lot of attention from vendors and visitors, but some Archie art would probably be even more appreciated by the masses.

Geez. Now I'm going to have to add one of these to my want list. But at least they're cheaper than a vintage Kirby page! (thumbs u

--Steve

Not sure if this fits but I love Looney Tunes and especially the character Ralph Phillips. He's totally the way I was as a kid daydreaming and all. Here's a page from a Star Wars theme:

Ralph-Wars-page-1.jpg