• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Art accidents

28 posts in this topic

I protect my artwork for about a $10 cost per piece that protects the art from accidental mosture damages and any silverfish. What I do is put the artwork in a mylar, then use a polybag to seal that mylar (so nothing can enter the top opening, and then tape the flap shut, so it's essentially sealed. Then I put them into portfolios for storage.

For more expensive art, I use acid free backing board. For cheaper art, I may skip the mylar and just use poly bags and seal them. It's a relatively small price to pay to protect your pieces.

One time I was creating a logo overlay for a friend. I'd done all of the logo/lettering digitally and output them onto the mylar overlay. The mylar I used was from a 20-inch wide roll, purchased so that I could handle oversized jobs by simply trimming the mylar down to fit.

Happy to see the job nearly complete, I attached the logos to the mylar, laid it over top of the OA for exact positioning, marked the edges I needed to cut, and then got out my exacto & started trimming..... without first removing the original from underneath.

Luckily, I only ended up making a single quarter-inch cut into the bristol. No damage to the actual image area, and since he was getting the overlay done so he could frame it for his wall, no one will ever see my mistake.

I forget if I bought him a beer at Comicon or something to make up for it. Hmmm, no, don't think I even did that. I'm pretty sure I just dropped it after he forgave me and vowed (to myself) never to bring the topic up again. (Cr@p--I think he checks this board)

Didn't a modern ASM artist have his house burn down with most of the art he did still inside? Eric Larsen perhaps?

Yeah, it was Erik. That was several years ago and a lot of his artwork and worldly possessions ceased to exist when his house burned down. :cry:

I do recall seeing one or two of his ASM covers for sale in the past. I think Hans may have had one a few years ago at around $5K.

What about the buy that bought the art for ASM 6 and the dog ate most of it ! .... lol

...not sure if the dog ate most of it. I've seen about a half dozen pages with a bite of artwork missing, I think on the right hand side of the pages. Perhaps some other pages were damaged more significantly and someone with more knowledge of the pages can clarify? :popcorn:

I had my art in a portfilio by my desk..

Glas of water was sitting on my desk...

Glass of water tips over. Water drip on Portofolio.. Took my 5 seconds to realize portfolio was under desk.. No major Damage but some pages were a little damp near top..

The portfolio protected most of pages