• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toldja' I had a Feelin' Thanos Cap Marvels had not "Peaked" yet...

35 posts in this topic

I'm not overly surprised here. Yes, it's a nutty price but nutty is the new reasonable.

I've always found HG Captain Marvel books to be tougher to find than your average bronze bear. Maybe because it wasn't the most popular book to begin with and the print run was low? I dunno....but sweet books anyway.

I think part of the reason is that it's such a great run, that most people keep theirs. I have multiples of all issues, yet when I see another nice one come up, I'm in there buying - it's one of the few titles outside Byrne X-Men that I hoard. :cloud9:

I know there has to be lots of nice copies out there, as it sold very good for Marvel and it was identified as a key run early on. It was one of the first titles I bought mail order and even then, it was broken out.

Brother, if that's all it took I'd be as serious as a heart attack.

Anyway, back on track. I can't see that book going anywhere but up, Bruce. However, I would keep an eye on that census. In the world of 9.8 land rare isn't rare forever.

True in some cases for sure.

That said, in some cases even when 1 or 2 more of "lower availability/higher demand" issues show up in the "same" virtually unattainable grade... it can also increase interest (and competition to obtain them) and not necessarily damage values. Example Cap 117 in 9.6: there were only (3) 9.6's approximately 6 months ago... now there's (5) and prices are spiking regardless of the significant (percentage-ly speaking) rise in available copies.

This scenario is more likely to happen than not "IF" the theoretical "high sale" was recorded by GPA (and not a private sale) so others in "need" of the issue are aware and factor that sale in to their thinking.

When you're talking...

less important keys,

less in demand issues,

issues that "should" be out there in HG in higher numbers in the minds of buyers,

issues that have not been graded in droves due to profit potential,

I'd agree.

The formula/track record for the truly "rarer stuff" just doesn't always translate to "a significant drop in value" when another Top Census copy arrives. It's more likely to drop however if a Higher Graded "Top Census" copy arrives... and particularly if the newer higher graded copy does not sell for 2 to 2.5X the "previous" Top Census copies' value.

Much of the "future value" in these cases depends upon the manner the NEW "equal" Top Census copy is offered for sale. If it is set free on ebay... it's more likely to sell lower than if its posted on a consignment site with sales hype pointing out the previous sale. Then, serious buyers are more inclined to accept the previous sale and bite on a price based on it... whether it be a little higher or lower. The recorded sale leads to a certain level of confidence that may not exist as much on ebay where many buyers are not aware of the previous sale and bid more on "gut".

I agree with just about everything in the post I am three quarters done with my Captain Marvel run and I will say the 25-34 are almost impossible to find in a raw high grade to be honest with you that is one of the reasons I actually started getting involved in the boards I was hoping someone would post these is the sales forum in a raw higher grade. But since I signed up there have only been like a couple of the Captain Marvels hit. At any LCS I have been to these books are gone. On Ebay I was watching a raw 25 and 26 and if I remember correctly they where listed as NM with not the greatest pictures and they went for like double guide. 40.00 bucks guide yeah right these are not guide books in my opinion and if you can get them in grade at guide the you can resell them for more that same day. Also high grade comics had a Raw 25 at double guide it's still there last time I checked but that may be the one I need to get. I was just hoping that someone would list a cgc 9.2-9.4 for 40 to 60 bucks not knowing that this is not a guide run and I could jump on that. Oh and 1500 hundred for the 28 may be a little on the high end but if it sold for that i wouldn't be stunned.

I think Dr.Watson indicated his $1600 offer was legit...

Nah, as he'd quickly find out that although my collection would be packed away and I'd stop buying anything new, there would be no reason to quit the forums. lol

so how much were you selling it for when you gave us you'll regret not buying it.

That was a different issue... 33 in case you're not clear on this. My 28 was never available.

The 9.8 33 is now off the market at that price. The bar has been raised.

Thanks John! :headbang:

I'll either keep it in my back pocket for an "enticement" to get a book I need in a potential trade... or maybe "cast it out" on Pedigree's next Grand Auction and see if a big fish bites!