• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Silver Age still has some really good buys.....

10 posts in this topic

..at least the one's I've been hunting. OS listed the DCSA as being slow, so I guess they actually got someting near right(not that I think they do a bad job at all), but do you think it will last? When will the SA back issues of DC pick back up and get closer to guide like thier Marvel couterparts. I've been getting HG stuff @ 40-50% of guide.

Not if no one will buy them for more. I've been getting VF/VF+ and even VF/NM 9.0 Lois Lanes in the 60 - 80 issue #s from a local seller for about 35% of guide. I think the market for all but the big four or five DC titles is somewhat soft in grades below VF or so - and I've been getting lucky.

With very little exception, nothing important happened in most of the Silver age DC stuff. Sure, there was some great art, and the occasional semi-key character intro, but all of the important stuff for DC happened in the Golden Age. Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, GL, Justice League, the major villains, all intro'd in the golden age. Books like the Jimmy Olsen stuff or Lois Lane books are neat, but they are long dead titles. Most younger collectors even make fun of them thinking it ridiculous that these secondary characters/ordinary people had their own books. For the most part, only people who grew up reading DC in the 60s are interested in collecting DC books from the 60s. There is little supply of these books, but also litte demand, hence the low prices. Silver age DC will NEVER catch up to Silver age Marvel. Even if DC catches Marvel in popularity and the classic characters hit a major resurgence, not much af anything significant happened to those characters in the Silver age whereas virtually all of Marvel was intro'd during that time.

Those are some great deals you guys are getting!! Here's a question for you: the next step for me in my collecting goals are the Batmans from 101-149. First off, I am having a tough time just finding them and secondly I was wondering what percent of guide for a VG is appropriate to pay. The ones that I do see are just filler copies that wouldn't really break a G+ with many of them actually worse! What are your thoughts?

DAM

With very little exception, nothing important happened in most of the Silver age DC stuff. Sure, there was some great art, and the occasional semi-key character intro, but all of the important stuff for DC happened in the Golden Age. Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, GL, Justice League, the major villains, all intro'd in the golden age.

So I can't agree with that Vic. Sure, I agree that books like Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen are unlikely to take off, and I also agree not much big happened in the Batman franchise in the Silver Age, but as for the others?

- Wonder Woman: only true prior to the 1968 Emma Peel Sekowsky period which is I believe attracting something of a following. Walt Simonson tipped his hat to this period in his recent run. And there are a few quite un-PC bondage covers to be discovered in this period.

- Superman: only true if you ignore the Legion of Super-Heroes, which got its start in the SA and has a rabid fan base to this day.

- GL: not true at all, as the Silver GL is a different premise altogether from the Golden Age.

- Justice League: only true if you consider the JLA to be a continuation of the JSA.

- Major villains: only true within the Superman/Batman franchises.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Hmmm, maybe its time for a Silver DC Keys thread? We did this for Bronze I remember, and every six months or so we do it for Amazing Spider-Man...

Those are some great deals you guys are getting!! Here's a question for you: the next step for me in my collecting goals are the Batmans from 101-149. First off, I am having a tough time just finding them and secondly I was wondering what percent of guide for a VG is appropriate to pay. The ones that I do see are just filler copies that wouldn't really break a G+ with many of them actually worse! What are your thoughts?

I don't collect those issues specifically, but I wouldn't expect to get those type of books in VG for 50% of guide. You might get them below guide, but not that much.

Realize that most of the books we are talking about getting at 50% of guide are:

1) Silver or Bronze Age

2) In plentiful supply in grades less than VF/NM

There are not a lot of CGC VF or lesser books that get guide price, so of course an unslabbed book would get significantly less.

DAM

Dave - there are some great deals to be had out there:

Batman 114 Fine sold for $27.03 (guide is roughly $117).

Batman 119 F/VF sold for $39.08 (guide is roughly $170)

I'm not complaining, even at 75% off Guide, the Donut empire rolls on grin.gif, but still... 893frustrated.gif

DAM

Dave - there are some great deals to be had out there:

Batman 114 Fine sold for $27.03 (guide is roughly $117).

Batman 119 F/VF sold for $39.08 (guide is roughly $170)

I'm not complaining, even at 75% off Guide, the Donut empire rolls on grin.gif, but still... 893frustrated.gif

FD - I don't even search for any of these books on ebay, but next time you have some nice ones let me know thumbsup2.gif

DAM