• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Did You Buy from the Ads Inside?...

92 posts in this topic

I'm sure there's been a similar thread or two on this but instead of searching for, and resurrecting one, I'm starting anew.

Aside from really wanting the "flying one-man helicopter gizmo that would let me fly around the neighborhood", I remember most wanting the below "fishing set" for quite some time. The ad mesmerized me and I dreamed of fishing the day away.

When I first moved to NJ from Gainesville, Fla, we landed in an apartment complex that had a sorry-azz man-made lake filled with duckcrap less than 50 ft from my back sliding door, but there were fish to be caught. So, at around age 12 I was determined to have my own money to buy this (and other things) and I started washing cars, walking dogs, baby-sitting (bad move for 1 trusting couple... I discovered the best way to make the kids go to sleep was to "airplane spin" them until they were too dizzy to stand, they would fall asleep shortly after employing this genius technique... that is until I dropped one kid and he told on me :eek:) to raise cash.

... anyway, I finally got the mulah up and ordered it and my parents hid it in the closet until my (what else) 13th birthday. I loved that set and spent hundreds of hours fishing for ridiculously small Sunnies, Catfish and the occasional SM Bass and Crappies. I even won the first of (2) fishing contests with the set even though I only ever saw one other competitor during both events.

All in all, comics also indirectly added joy to my life via this purchase.

What about you guys? What did any of you buy "out of a comic" and please share any funny, fuzzy or fond stories you may have? :popcorn:

64474.jpg.d57b552b0d721653547d332add07fc17.jpg

64475.jpg.b4609d4e9d31902fbc32d7fe144dd799.jpg

I sold the seeds and Grit... ;)

lol was any of the stuff you "earned" worthwhile? I contemplated selling Grit too but delivered "shopper's" instead.

I made comic buying cash selling Grit...I remember getting a gas powered airplane selling the seeds...and a kazoo... lol

I was obsessed with the "Green Machine," the souped-up Big Wheel with the spin out bar. It commanded the back cover of the big two's comics for a good two or three months in '78 or '79. It said in big letters "for 10-12 year olds" or something similar. I was 8 or 9 at the time and prayed every night that they would sell me one, even though I was not 10-12. (I also prayed every night that my mutant powers would manifest themselves, but that is a story for another time.)

I was obsessed with the "Green Machine," the souped-up Big Wheel with the spin out bar. It commanded the back cover of the big two's comics for a good two or three months in '78 or '79. It said in big letters "for 10-12 year olds" or something similar. I was 8 or 9 at the time and prayed every night that they would sell me one, even though I was not 10-12. (I also prayed every night that my mutant powers would manifest themselves, but that is a story for another time.)

couldn't you do a 360 in one of those???

hm

I had a Green Machine!!! It was my favorite vehicle for more years than intended! I rode that thing until the back wheels were completely worn through from the spin outs lol... I bought one for my nephew a few years ago, he still rides it

This one? I had a friend that nabbed these.

yeah, the soldiers that I got were very fragile because the plastic was very thin and small.

you get what you pay for...

and this was definitely the case.

I'm sure it was worth the "buck fiddy" though. In fact, the fragile aspect and subsequent "broken limbs" suffered probably added an "unintentional" authenticity to the pretend warfare.

:roflmao:

I had a Green Machine!!! It was my favorite vehicle for more years than intended! I rode that thing until the back wheels were completely worn through from the spin outs lol... I bought one for my nephew a few years ago, he still rides it

Lucky!

X-ray Glasses.

Lastest one day.

I took them to school and pretended I could see through the girls clothes and they would run screaming.

Needless to say one of the teachers took them pretty quick and I never saw them again.

:D

I had one too, but not bought from a comic?

We used to have "crash up derbies" in the parking lot with them. Only Big Wheels and Green Machines were allowed... (although some smacked-arsed tried a "hipity hop") and was summarily dispatched from the competition suffering multiple abrasions.

:roflmao: