• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Did You Buy from the Ads Inside?...

92 posts in this topic

I clearly remember ordering that massive set of army men that came in the "cardboard foot locker". Thing is, I didn't tell my parents I was ordering it, and all I had was my allowance money -- a pile of loose change. So I remember sticking all that change into a regular envelope and putting it in the mailbox. As I was mailing it, a bunch of the neighbourhood bullies were watching, and as I walked away from the mailbox they lit a string of firecrackers and shoved them in the mailbox.

I never received the army men. I don't know if it was because my letter went up in flames, or if my flimsy coin-stuffed envelope didn't survive the trip to Who-knows-where, USA, or if someone stole the money from my envelope, or if the company simply didn't ship to Canada (I doubt I read the fine print in the ad).

I was dying to buy the footlocker of army men but couldn't afford it. What a great story Drew. Great thread also.

I bought the Knight Game -- with large castle. :tonofbricks:

Link

They had more soldiers but instead of medieval knights they were Greek hoplites with spears.

Didn't stop me from adding them to my stash of miniature toy soldiers that were used for massive battles around the yard. :blush:

Don't remember those... were they in SA comics or DC's?

I would have purchased my set in the early 70s. I have no idea from what magazine but the link above should be the best source of info about the ads.

Anyone buy the...

Switchblade Comb.

I still have one of those!!! It's one of the only toys I have left from my childhood. I can't remember where it came from, though.

I had one of those combs and loved it to death. I nearly forgot all about it! The comb itself was pretty sucky but the fact that it was a switch blade triggered comb more then made up for it.

A few pics...

This is the box that the soldiers and accessories came in. Box was about 6" long, 5" wide and 2" deep.

The shipped from location and my childhood mailing address are on the flip side. Three of the side panels have the same look as the top and try to give the appearance of a footlocker or chest, with artwork suggesting a clasp to secure it and rings to carry it by. The words "This Chest Property Of" is along one of the panels.

Image2.jpg

The artwork that appeared in the ad was along the length of the other panel.

Image1.jpg

I actually got the Frankenstein life-size monster, which I traded from a friend.

It was just a poster! And drawn by Jack Davis iirc. (It was pretty big, though.)

Another friend told me about him and his brothers ordering the submarine... it turned out to be made of cardboard, of course.