• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Ebay Email Scam?

7 posts in this topic

I didn't explore it after reading Darth's post about account hijacking and your comments that suggested that by following links you may be exposing yourself further. I may have read it wrong, but I don't follow these questionable links to "just see".

i was meaning to ask you more about it actually. I have a Linksys router and also created a masterpassword on my netscape browser that's needed before you can enter any passwords on the system. Am I safe, or do I need to take additional measures. I don't use my CC unless its through PP.

I suppose if no one else received the "ebay contest" email... sounds like a selective fraud mailing. More should have, I'd expect.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I didn't explore it after reading Darth's post about account hijacking and your comments that suggested that by following links you may be exposing yourself further. I may have read it wrong, but I don't follow these questionable links to "just see".

You did the right thing Bruce by not providing a link, or following it for that matter. Its interesting because the last time I notificied eBay about a scam email, they asked me if I had followed the link. I told them I didn't follow the link, but merely copied the url location, and then did a nslookup on the domain, and noticed it wasn't a legit eBay IP. Probably a good idea not to follow any questionable links with the high incidence of browser hijackings.

i was meaning to ask you more about it actually. I have a Linksys router and also created a masterpassword on my netscape browser that's needed before you can enter any passwords on the system. Am I safe, or do I need to take additional measures. I don't use my CC unless its through PP.

I would reset the password on the linksys interface just to be on the safe side. Unless you hard-coded your gateway !P address, you should be able to call up the configuration interface by typing 192.168.1.1 into your web browser.

You'll be asked for a username and password. Unless you set your own password at the time of configuration, the system should still use default credentials. If you don't remember what the defaults are, PM me and I'll give them to you.

IMPORTANT: If its a wireless version, you will need to plug into one of the 4-ports to reset the password. Its a security feature Linksys uses to prevent a WiFi vultures from hacking into your routers configuration, and reconfiguring important system settings remotely. One final point; if you have the wireless version, and have not shut off the SSID broadcast, or set a WEP encryption, you should do so asap. PM me for details.

I got this scam email today titled "Unauthorised eBay Account Access":

Dear eBay User,

We recently noticed one or more attempts to login into your eBay

account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to believe that

your account has been hijacked by a third party without your

authorization.

In order to protect your sensitive information or unauthorized listings we temporarily suspended your account for further investigations. To reactivate your account, click on the link below and confirm your identity by completing the secure form that will appear.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual

login attempts may have been initiated by you.

Take our apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Thank you

eBay Account Theft Prevention