• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Got a ? about the value of a signed comic vs. unsigned?

17 posts in this topic

Hello :)

Got a quick question, if you have a comicbook thats been signed by Stan Lee how much MORE does it make it 'worth' overtop the listed value in the OverStreet Price Guide?

The book in question is Xmen 10 in 9.0 condition.

Thanks

I don't think there is a fixed rule that you can count on for that one. Since the book is already a 9.0, a high grade copy, it is also a key issue, desirable to a larger number of collectors. I would like to think that Stan's signature adds at least 100% to the value, but that doesn't seem to happen. It's more typical to see a 30% increase or less on Silver Age books. I see that more in asking prices, not necessarily selling prices. Placement of the signature, how the book looks with it, can influence value, it really depends on the individual collector.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone developed a price guide for signature series books? There is always GPA, which personally I don't use, but it will tell you what similar books have sold for, and is widely respected in this forum.

Does anyone besides myself collect Stan Lee's signature for the fact that it is amazing to have the signature of a 86 year old guy who spent the last 70 years influencing an industry? All I ever hear about is resale values and grades and almost nothing about how cool it is to have his signature or what a great job he typically does in placing the signature on the sweet spot of the book. Nothing personal meant by that, it's just my personal gripe.

Not to sound like a TOTAL 'newbie' (Even tho i AM lol) but what makes this a 'key issue' and does it matter that the signature is on the 1st page and NOT the cover?

1st appearance of Ka-Zar. Some don't like a sig to "mar" the cover.

I like autographs for their own sake, so the presence of an autograph in or on the book is actually distracting for me (unless I want the comic as a collectible and not to read, or unless the comic is the only way I can get someone's autograph).

If I just want the autograph, signed 3x5s are my medium of choice because it allows the signature to be presented in all its glory. :)

2773062665_1d6484e14f_m.jpg2773062743_52bf924d12_m.jpg2773062791_f54b69c571_m.jpg

2773910258_4b9b359461_m.jpg2773910300_d21f112eab_m.jpg2773063093_814370033c_m.jpg

2773910718_003f67c58b_m.jpg2773910780_50396655fb_m.jpg2773064163_f57e856d61_m.jpg

Not to sound like a TOTAL 'newbie' (Even tho i AM lol) but what makes this a 'key issue' and does it matter that the signature is on the 1st page and NOT the cover?

1st appearance of Ka-Zar. Some don't like a sig to "mar" the cover.

Well i know it's the 1st apperance of Ka-Zar... but to the life of me BEFORE i got this comic book i've never even heard of Ka-Zar! lol

I take it he's an 'important' character?

... I would like to think that Stan's signature adds at least 100% to the value, but that doesn't seem to happen. It's more typical to see a 30% increase or less on Silver Age books. I see that more in asking prices, not necessarily selling prices. ....

It seems wrong to me to suggest a percentage increase in value just for adding a sig. It's no more difficult to put a 9.0 AF #15 under Stan's nose than it is to offer him a Venom #1.

I don't understand why some people think they can ask (and sometimes get) a several hundred dollar (or more) boost for a sig on a SA key! If I wanted an ASM #1 in 7.5 sig series, I'd buy a blue label and arrange to have it signed myself rather than pay some ridiculous premium.

The value of a sig should depend on the sig alone. That it should be appropriate to the item getting signed goes without saying. If a witness can get a book signed by so-and-so for $x, then that sig is worth $x whether it's on a loo roll or an Action #7.

Getting a group of relevant sigs together, i.e. Neil Gaiman, Dave McKean and Chris Bachalo on a Sandman #8 :cloud9:, is a valid reason for bumping up the value a bit more I think :)

I like autographs for their own sake, so the presence of an autograph in or on the book is actually distracting for me (unless I want the comic as a collectible and not to read, or unless the comic is the only way I can get someone's autograph).

If I just want the autograph, signed 3x5s are my medium of choice because it allows the signature to be presented in all its glory. :)

2773062665_1d6484e14f_m.jpg2773062743_52bf924d12_m.jpg2773062791_f54b69c571_m.jpg

2773910258_4b9b359461_m.jpg2773910300_d21f112eab_m.jpg2773063093_814370033c_m.jpg

2773910718_003f67c58b_m.jpg2773910780_50396655fb_m.jpg2773064163_f57e856d61_m.jpg

I like your style! Nice collection (thumbs u

Unfortunately, the value of the sig (in terms of its immediate resale value) has been dependent on the book that is getting signed. Stan Lee signing a random issue of a new Marvel book will not increase the value as much as a copy of Iron Man #1 from 1968 (an approximate $300-600 bump) or a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 (hundreds of dollars and sometimes, $1000+). The true value is what it is WORTH to you as a collector, either because of your experience of getting the signature, or knowing you have an authentic signed book protected by a plastic case to preserve for all time.

To answer the specific question, I recently sold an X-Men #10 in 4.5 condition CGC SS signed by Stan Lee for $114.50. The average sale price of this book, unsigned, had been $56, so I got about a $60 bump for the signature. I would expect a 9.0 copy, which has previously sold for about $455-480 last year, to sell for at least $550-600 as a CGC SS copy. Just a guess.

Joel

P.S. I've sold a number of Silver Age X-Men's and Spideys, and I've seen everywhere from a $50-150 bump per book based on the grade and book, for having a CGC SS Stan Lee signature.

P.P.S. Hey, He11blazer, how about Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean on a Sandman #8... Editorial Variant? (It's at CGC, along with a Death #1 Platinum edition signed by Gaiman, McKean, and Buckingham) :)

P.P.S. Hey, He11blazer, how about Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean on a Sandman #8... Editorial Variant? (It's at CGC, along with a Death #1 Platinum edition signed by Gaiman, McKean, and Buckingham) :)

:o Very, very cool! High grade? For sale? Would love to see these when you get them :popcorn:

While most people in this forum know the process, most don't understand that they do not need to be able to attend a show themselves in order to get a book signed for Signature Series, but rather just need to locate a witness to send books to. As such, it's not all that surprising that a Stan Lee signature on a "key" can command a pretty large premium even though as you point out, someone can simply purchase the book themselves and then get Chandler have the book signed by Stan for much less.

Ahh George you are too kind. But what George says is true. Both Sharon and I run across fanboys and girls all the time and talk to them about what we do and most of them say "Really?? So I could have gotten my book signed by so and so at the con last month? I couldn't make that con. Man I wish I had known about you guys before." Just this past Wednesday is a perfect example. I was in Phoenix, Arizona for the War Heroes Tour of Duty signing with Mark Millar and Tony Harris and once several fans realized what I did, they had me send their books to Kevin (thanks Kevin!) in Toronto, Canada for the Fan Expo Con going on this weekend to be signed by both Steve McNiven and Dexter Vines. So now this fan will have his copy of Civil War or Wolverine triple signed instead of signed by just the one creator. That is what we are here for. To help the fans get to creators that they otherwise could not get to. Can't make it to New York for the con? Find a witness that is going and that is taking submissions. Really if you think about it, when you consider what the fanboy would pay for airfare, a hotel and all the other expenses involved, finding a witness is much cheaper. So just look for one who does take submissions like us here as Desert Wind Comics (plug plug). If you have any questions about the witness program, don't be afraid to ask. And George, again thanks for the mention.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

Ahh George you are too kind. But what George says is true. Both Sharon and I run across fanboys and girls all the time and talk to them about what we do and most of them say "Really?? So I could have gotten my book signed by so and so at the con last month? I couldn't make that con. Man I wish I had known about you guys before." Just this past Wednesday is a perfect example. I was in Phoenix, Arizona for the War Heroes Tour of Duty signing with Mark Millar and Tony Harris and once several fans realized what I did, they had me send their books to Kevin (thanks Kevin!) in Toronto, Canada for the Fan Expo Con going on this weekend to be signed by both Steve McNiven and Dexter Vines. So now this fan will have his copy of Civil War or Wolverine triple signed instead of signed by just the one creator. That is what we are here for. To help the fans get to creators that they otherwise could not get to. Can't make it to New York for the con? Find a witness that is going and that is taking submissions. Really if you think about it, when you consider what the fanboy would pay for airfare, a hotel and all the other expenses involved, finding a witness is much cheaper. So just look for one who does take submissions like us here as Desert Wind Comics (plug plug). If you have any questions about the witness program, don't be afraid to ask. And George, again thanks for the mention.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

I wish I had thought of that...... :cry:

I can personally say, Chandler does a great job! He is a little messy with communication, but man, I submitted a ton of books to him. The end result, all books came back the same grade, including one down 0.5, another UP 0.5! :thumbsup:

-Issa

Also, you have to sell to someone who values signatures, for some collectors a signature actually degrades the value of the comic. But I think there are enough people now from what I've seen who value signatures that it wouldn't be a problem.