• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's owned your CGC book?

62 posts in this topic

Two words...

More Disclosure doh!

I use a magic marker to write the sellers name on the back of the

slab, as we all know that just the front label is what is important.

A few of mine have the name of a local butt-smoking tall lanky dude

with a shock of hair that won't stay back, and he thinks that paper

labels on a slab just ain't cool.

:baiting::foryou:

A few of mine have the name of a local butt-kicking tall lanky dude

with a shock of hair that won't stay back, and he thinks that paper

labels on a slab just ain't cool.

:baiting::foryou:

:hi:

I had a similar idea (not saying it was monumental or anything) that became a label that Doug of PedigreeComics.com puts on the bag (not the slab) of some of the more unique and/or expensive books purchased off his site. He's been using them for 2+ years now. Some of you may have a slab or two with them on the bag?

The first generation version of the "Purchase History" had room for some notes. Recently, we updated the labels and added a couple new ones (now on the way to Doug) and revised the "Purchase History" (below left).

I'm not sure if they are used much or not (shrug) ...

64549.jpg.d26e0badb3c787ccf794a7dd75912584.jpg

(tsk) One thing that always got to me is buying up already slabbed books doesnt make you the original owner, because there was an actually original owner, even though its not you. I for one hand... dont buy CGC rated books, but try and find all my books raw and in the best condition i could find... to be the only true original owner of my collection besides the store or secret/private stores I got them at.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone around here who believes that buying an already slabbed book makes you the "original owner" :)

In regards to the buying of raw books, unless you're buying a new book straight off the rack at the comic book store, you'll never be the original owner - if it's a back issue, you have no way of knowing how the store got a hold of it (overstock? purchase from someone else?).

:hi: Hiyo!

(tsk) ... thats why you do your do-diligence and check out the book for markers or indications of original owner disease.

:o ... It markers varies on the disease carrier, but with patiences and a microscope you can make sure the books are not only NM/M+, but also that the book seems to be clean of the original owner disease.

You people have way too much time on your hands. That's all I need is more things to write, fill out and remember.

:screwy:

Sorry, but this is a hobby, not the army.

So are greggy's hand me downs going to be worth more than Watson's or what?

R.

Rejected.

Next!

Reasons?

It's like dating a hot chick. You don't wanna know who else she's been with. Just be grateful she's with you now.

All the boys on this forum need to listen to this wise man.

I like knowing as much about the provenance of my books as possible. And I don't have so many that record-keeping like this would be onerous. But, for many collectors, and virtually all dealers, the extra burden multiplied by thousands of books would be overwhelming. If you just did it for key books, that would make it somewhat easier. But, unless there is a "payback" of some kind for the effort in terms of higher sales prices or increased demand for this type of information by purchasors, I don't think it will gather steam quickly.

However, with the tools available on the computer/internet, I would imagine that CGC could eventually add an "owner's notes" feature similar to "grader's notes" which would allow a motivated owner to enter information about the book including its provenance. No sticker on the case would be required.

I'm more interested in the original owners, the kids and the servicemen and the true fans who bought them first. The ghosts from the past who enjoyed their comics and passed them down to us.

I agree. I know that some of my books have been owned by guys like Edgar Church, Davis Crippen, and Tom Reilly. That's the only part of a book's provenance that interests me.

You people have way too much time on your hands. That's all I need is more things to write, fill out and remember.

:screwy:

Sorry, but this is a hobby, not the army.

So are greggy's hand me downs going to be worth more than Watson's or what?

R.

A hobby in which people like to be organised, it was an idea, maybe a bad one but there we go (thumbs u

As far as the hand me downs go I would imagine that it would only apply to rare items like socks or underpants (: