• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's owned your CGC book?

62 posts in this topic

you get to see how much your book really got around before actually getting to you.

I already know some of mine are dirty, dirty tramps.

lol they are filthy, giving themselves to the next person who takes their eye that's for sure, but I might want to know where they have been !!

The idea would work better as a website.

An online "Registry" that keeps up with ownership, comments, even prices paid.

This would be the way to do it.But the only problem with that is getting people to take time out to register the books.

After reading and vaguely partcipating in the pressing/restoration threads something occured to me that might be an interesting idea for a future CGC innovation, now bear with me before slamming the idea...

You have a slabbed book, encased in plastic, labelled on the front with important info regarding the book, why not on the rear of the book also have important info?

What I'm talking about is this - an adesive label similar to on the inside of a library book on the back of a slab, detailing who the original owner/person who slabbed it was and who they sold the book to, next seller carries on the info to the next buyer, wouldn't it be cool to in years to come to know that a big collector, celeb or even a relative owned the slab?

Not only that, but if available other first ownership info could detail who any restoration work on the book was carried out by, especially for those big money books where to some people it matters that it was done by a known professional, ..... thoughts? ( Yes I know it's insanity)

:hi: Hiyo!

:o ... Wow! Actually love that ideal and have been thinking about that since I've heard of CGC and pedigees and stuff!

hm It actually make sense for the CGC rated books to at least have on the slabbed title books... a tag of the original owner. Even if bought on Ebay and/or online auction sites that deal exclusively or not in selling CGC rated books. Not only does help them keep an (supposively) accurate account of books rated in the census, but you get to see how much your book really got around before actually getting to you.

(tsk) One thing that always got to me is buying up already slabbed books doesnt make you the original owner, because there was an actually original owner, even though its not you. I for one hand... dont buy CGC rated books, but try and find all my books raw and in the best condition i could find... to be the only true original owner of my collection besides the store or secret/private stores I got them at.

:wishluck: Lets start a petition drive!

I worry that we might need a few more supporters yet (thumbs u

After reading and vaguely partcipating in the pressing/restoration threads something occured to me that might be an interesting idea for a future CGC innovation, now bear with me before slamming the idea...

You have a slabbed book, encased in plastic, labelled on the front with important info regarding the book, why not on the rear of the book also have important info?

What I'm talking about is this - an adesive label similar to on the inside of a library book on the back of a slab, detailing who the original owner/person who slabbed it was and who they sold the book to, next seller carries on the info to the next buyer, wouldn't it be cool to in years to come to know that a big collector, celeb or even a relative owned the slab?

Not only that, but if available other first ownership info could detail who any restoration work on the book was carried out by, especially for those big money books where to some people it matters that it was done by a known professional, ..... thoughts? ( Yes I know it's insanity)

:o ... Wow! Actually love that ideal and have been thinking about that since I've heard of CGC and pedigees and stuff!

hm It actually make sense for the CGC rated books to at least have on the slabbed title books... a tag of the original owner. Even if bought on Ebay and/or online auction sites that deal exclusively or not in selling CGC rated books. Not only does help them keep an (supposively) accurate account of books rated in the census, but you get to see how much your book really got around before actually getting to you.

(tsk) One thing that always got to me is buying up already slabbed books doesnt make you the original owner, because there was an actually original owner, even though its not you. I for one hand... dont buy CGC rated books, but try and find all my books raw and in the best condition i could find... to be the only true original owner of my collection besides the store or secret/private stores I got them at.

:wishluck: Lets start a petition drive!

I worry that we might need a few more supporters yet (thumbs u

hm ... Isnt it fun being in the minority... (thumbs u

It took me forever to get those Pacific Coast stickers off the slabs... :frustrated:

(I'm just kidding here... I don't peel the PC stickers off my slabs...)

It took me forever to get those Pacific Coast stickers off the slabs... :frustrated:

It could be similar to a COA instead of a sticker?

I also have a problem with COAs... especially those Green River ones that probably give off gases considering they're printed on photographic paper. :frustrated:

lol

It could be similar to a COA instead of a sticker?

I also have a problem with COAs... especially those Green River ones that probably give off gases considering they're printed on photographic paper. :frustrated:

lol

Gases.... mmmm, drool :luhv:

hm I don't believe that it's a plausible idea, Phil.

zzz For the most part, we collectors are a lazy lot.

:sick: Besides, people would start their own pedigrees. Would you want to own a copy from the greggy nut sack collection?

:angel: Jimbo, a friend of Jesus.

Rejected.

Next!

Reasons?

It's like dating a hot chick. You don't wanna know who else she's been with. Just be grateful she's with you now.

hm I don't believe that it's a plausible idea, Phil.

zzz For the most part, we collectors are a lazy lot.

:sick: Besides, people would start their own pedigrees. Would you want to own a copy from the greggy nut sack collection?

:angel: Jimbo, a friend of Jesus.

And you think Brits are odd lol to be honest I'm just glad the the thread didn't die straight off the bat !

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone around here who believes that buying an already slabbed book makes you the "original owner" :)

In regards to the buying of raw books, unless you're buying a new book straight off the rack at the comic book store, you'll never be the original owner - if it's a back issue, you have no way of knowing how the store got a hold of it (overstock? purchase from someone else?).

(I'm just kidding here... I don't peel the PC stickers off my slabs...)

Anybody know where you could get more of the PC stickers ? I like them and need a bunch.