• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

please offer your opinions

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. Every once in a while I will be asking for opinions on auctions I spot on Ebay. You can probably tell from my username that I am very modest. I may have to check back much later, so don't be offended if you try a dialogue and I don't respond quickly. Please give your thoughts on this item. Spidey # 14

I emailed for a larger scan and did not hear back. I think the CGC label looks wavy, and I also believe there is too much color loss in the upper left corner for this book to be very fine. Has anyone dealt with this seller before?

emailed for a larger scan and did not hear back. I think the CGC label looks wavy, and I also believe there is too much color loss in the upper left corner for this book to be very fine.

If in doubt ask the seller for the CGC bar code (you may be able to see it from the scan) the give CGC a call to check if the book is genuine.

I don't collect Spiderman, only because everybody else does. Now, when people stopped collecting Spiderman, that's when I bought it. So, I've got the tail end of the series and I'm happy with that. Not interested in this auction in the least.

Well, you asked! mad.gifgrin.gif

I'll trade you my twizzlers for your dazzlers if you pay the postage. insane.gif

Well actually, I just sold 10 of them and I got a lot more than Twizzlers for them. Guess I'm gonna have to change my signature line. I am thinking that maybe some of the forum members may feel these are not selling. grin.gif

I think Dazzlers would taste almost as good as Twizzlers, but alas,God did not give me much of a face. smirk.gif ok, here is just one more auction I came across tonight. do you think he will accept a shoebox full of 100's as payment? my name is Christopher

its only about $50,000 worth of books that he will BIN for $6,000.

Well this is the info from the registry:

Grade Date         11/07/2003 
Title                    Amazing Spider-Man 
Issue                  14 
Issue Date           7/64 
Publisher            Marvel Comics 
Country  
Variant  
Pedigree  
Category            Universal 
Grade                 8.0 
PageQuality       CREAM TO OFF-WHITE 
GradeText  
ArtComment       Stan Lee story 
KeyCommentA   First appearance of Norman Osborn 
KeyCommentB   as the Green Goblin. 
Issue Year         1964 

The CGC labels are quite often "wavy," and I own 9.0s with a similar amount of spine color loss that this book has. It's quite common to have color loss like that when the front cover wraps around to the back...I'm sure a lot of flaking occurred right when it was first wrapped and before it hit the stands. The ink Marvel used back then flakes off a lot more easily than today's ink. Here's a 9.0 with similar color loss:

thanks. I am amazed that a book with that much color loss would receive a 9, but it is certainly otherwise beautiful. I brought this up because in my area there have been stories passed around of people being able to swap books in and out of holders, thus maybe sticking a 6.0 into an 8.0 labeled holder. I realize it would be very difficult if not impossible to do, but the signs I mentioned did make me a little weary of bidding on this book. I would suspect this even more in the case of sellers that certainly have more ready access to multiple copies of single issues. Sorry to let my paranoia show so soon. cool.gif