• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sword and Sorcery

45 posts in this topic

Those Stalker books are awesome... just jumped on ebay and grabbed a VF/NM set for no money.

Question... was this Wally Wood's last mainstream comics gig? I know he did a couple of minor back up jobs in the DC war books in the early 70s, and a few horror tales.

He was such a talent, and his is such a sad story towards the end. I had no idea he had done these books... thanks for sharing!

Shep

Actually, Wood had a few additional runs at DC after the Stalker gig. He inked the first 8 or so issues of Hercules Unbound. As always, he completely dominated the penciller, whether it was Garcia-Lopez or Walt Simonson. Then what I think is his best late-period work is the first 8 issues of the All-Star Comics revival, including the creation of the visual look for Power Girl. The 1st couple were inking Ric Estrada, and at this point in Wood's career he tended to leave a lot of detail out if the penciller (like Estrada) didn't put it there to start-- so the result is overly cartoonish. But beginning with All Star 60 he inks a young Keith Giffen, and so Wood seems inspired to up his game. So much so that for the last 2 issues (#64 & #65) Wood does both pencils & inks. Those 2 issues at least are well worth checking out: Woody sends the JSAers back to King Arthur's Court and gets to indulge in some classic Wally Wood flourishes. (thumbs u

Those Stalker books are awesome... just jumped on ebay and grabbed a VF/NM set for no money.

Question... was this Wally Wood's last mainstream comics gig? I know he did a couple of minor back up jobs in the DC war books in the early 70s, and a few horror tales.

He was such a talent, and his is such a sad story towards the end. I had no idea he had done these books... thanks for sharing!

Shep

Actually, Wood had a few additional runs at DC after the Stalker gig. He inked the first 8 or so issues of Hercules Unbound. As always, he completely dominated the penciller, whether it was Garcia-Lopez or Walt Simonson. Then what I think is his best late-period work is the first 8 issues of the All-Star Comics revival, including the creation of the visual look for Power Girl. The 1st couple were inking Ric Estrada, and at this point in Wood's career he tended to leave a lot of detail out if the penciller (like Estrada) didn't put it there to start-- so the result is overly cartoonish. But beginning with All Star 60 he inks a young Keith Giffen, and so Wood seems inspired to up his game. So much so that for the last 2 issues (#64 & #65) Wood does both pencils & inks. Those 2 issues at least are well worth checking out: Woody sends the JSAers back to King Arthur's Court and gets to indulge in some classic Wally Wood flourishes. (thumbs u

Great info! Thanks!

Shep

I was really hoping someone would post some Marvel stuff as well, Conan, Kull, etc.

I would, but then the various conspiracy theorists would just accuse me of scanning mysterious "collected versions" of these books. lol

Hard to top the Barry Smith/Roy Thomas tandem:

I agree, you can't top that tandem. But Buscema was pretty great too...especially when he inked his own pencils:

Conan96.jpg