• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my Jimmy Olsen...

39 posts in this topic

7.0 - 7.5 (spinal nick - goes thru)(crease in the green from olsons shoulder into his cheek)

Darth, I'm not seeing the spine nick, either in the pic or on the book itself. Where is what you're seeing located? The crease you're seeing on Jimmy's shoulder is actually a scratch on the CGC holder. You can even see in the pic that it extends beyond the right edge of the book.

Frankly, I'm not seeing the indentations on the back cover either. I had this book in a mylar for several years before I had it graded, and it laid flat.

I'll certainly post what I hear from CGC after I talk to them Monday.

Darth, I'm not seeing the spine nick, either in the pic or on the book itself.

Follow the white f the spine until you see a break in the white, parallel to the circular thing in the middle of the chick's hairdo - tough to describe without nearby landmarks - just a sea of red/brown immediately to its right

Where is what you're seeing located? The crease you're seeing on Jimmy's shoulder is actually a scratch on the CGC holder. You can even see in the pic that it extends beyond the right edge of the book.

foreheadslap.gif I'm a dumbarse!

Frankly, I'm not seeing the indentations on the back cover either. I had this book in a mylar for several years before I had it graded, and it laid flat.

Maybe the sahdows are playing tricks on my eyes but it doens't look flat to me, looks like valleys and dents...maybe it's just a bad translation due to glare and other factors

Follow the white f the spine until you see a break in the white, parallel to the circular thing in the middle of the chick's hairdo - tough to describe without nearby landmarks - just a sea of red/brown immediately to its right

I see what you're talking about. Not a nick though...hard to tell, but might be a super small pencil mark. It stops right at the edge, and isn't visible on the back cover at all.

As for indents, I think my pic might be playing tricks with your eyes. I myself see what looks like a super light stain on the left edge of the back cover pic, but it doesn't exist on the book.

So much for five mega-pixels...

It would definitely be worthwhile to find out if there are one or more interior defects that were not known to you. Just one defect would probably earn you a qualified grade on a book that nice, which is why I suspect more than one. We're talking page tears, writing/soiling, or detached centerfold(s).

It would definitely be worthwhile to find out if there are one or more interior defects that were not known to you. Just one defect would probably earn you a qualified grade on a book that nice, which is why I suspect more than one. We're talking page tears, writing/soiling, or detached centerfold(s).

I know that CGC has stopped noting defects like these on the label when they exist on the exterior, but are they also not listing them when they're on the interior of a book? If so, I think that's a big mistake. A buyer should know what they're getting.

Okay, here's the answer...

I spoke to Mark Haspel, and apparently there are three stains along the spine on the back cover. I sure don't see them, but one grader gave it a 7.5, and the other two gave it 7.0, so I'll take their word for it.

Now if only I could find some nice Golden Age Actions with this same defect. I'd love to pay 7.0 prices for books that look NM...

Man, those stains are hard to see... now that I'm aware of them, it's easy to convince myself "there they are!"... it's times like this that you wish the CGC label had the same 'grid layout' for noting defects as CGG... why should you have to guess as to the location(s) of the stains?

Further, the stains can't be all that egregious if we can't see 'em through the slab and NM didn't notice them prior to submission..? That's the *only* defect cited in the graders' notes? That's not too helpful or enlightening...

Okay, here's the answer...

I spoke to Mark Haspel, and apparently there are three stains along the spine on the back cover. I sure don't see them, but one grader gave it a 7.5, and the other two gave it 7.0, so I'll take their word for it.

Now if only I could find some nice Golden Age Actions with this same defect. I'd love to pay 7.0 prices for books that look NM...

hmmmm....sounds like my X-Men 94, it looks 9.4 except was given a 7.0 due to "stuff" on the back cover. 893whatthe.giffrown.gifconfused.gifmad.gif893frustrated.gifforeheadslap.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

316163-X-94b.jpg

316163-X-94b.jpg.c2b7215551bf8686dd19c63c66b97042.jpg