• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion: The Worse GA covers of all time?

172 posts in this topic

Judy Canova still rules this thread... honestly, I understand that it is a caricature, but, in the end, that is the one that I would NEVER have bought off the stands... The rest of these covers, while sub-par here, and goofy there, and slightly homoerotic in parts, are better than that one... It is just hideous!

Worse than Blue Beetle 22, apparently drawn by the printer's 5-year-old niece when the real cover was late and the press was already running?

You must really hate Ms Judy! Maybe she should have worn a mask.

Jack

This one is so bad it's good. Back in 1948, the kids must have seen this and thought "What .... The....F@&(!!"

scan0036-1.jpg

Anyone who says "Marvel sucks" I submit the above to you. lol This was standard fair for DC, cranking out krap like this. Who bought this stuff?

I'm thinking maybe KIDS!

Jack

I happen to like the Action 116 cover. I also think it's a bit ahead of it's time. Think if it as 1960's pop art or modern low-brow art. The cover works and it's humorous.

Many of the other examples on this thread, though, are hideous and should never have made it past the editor's desk.

This one is so bad it's good. Back in 1948, the kids must have seen this and thought "What .... The....F@&(!!"

scan0036-1.jpg

Anyone who says "Marvel sucks" I submit the above to you. lol This was standard fair for DC, cranking out krap like this. Who bought this stuff?

yes, with all that silliness, it's hard to believe that the top 2 books in the entire hobby are DCs, and of the top 6 books in the hobby, 5 are DCs, and the number one comic book movie of all time currently, is based on a DC character. :banana:

it must be the strength of the characters themselves over time and not just cover appeal.

"6 top books in the hobby, 5 are DC"? Maybe on one of those alternate earth's DC dreamed up. 70 years and they still can't come up with more than 3 decent storylines for Superman. :baiting:

nope, not an alternate Earth, a little something called Overstreet.

check it.

Top Golden Age Books:

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective Comics #27

3. Marvel Comics #1

4. Superman #1

5. All-American #16

6. Batman #1

you can be a "DC hater" all you want, but let's not ignore the facts.

Well DC has been second fiddle to Marvel for what, almost 50 years straight? hm That was right about the last time DC came up with an original idea. A top 10 list from 1960 to present would leave you hard pressed to squeeze a couple DC's in there (that's a fact). Just my 2c

Truce! :foryou:

all I'm simply trying to say, is that there has to be something to DC characters themselves that people have liked for over 70 years, DESPITE all the silly covers, imaginary stories, which there were plenty I know, their appeal goes beyond just a "cool war cover".

Supes/Bats from the start have had many TV, Movie, animated projects, the other DC characters not as much, but I think they got lazy and were happy with their big two and didn't put forth the effort to develop the other characters, maybe that will change in the next few years who knows.

I have recently been "rethinking" my collecting habits and trying to force myself not to be a 'cover' collector only. it's difficult, but I'm trying to focus more on books that have some sort of historical meaning to the comics hobby. the problem is those are usually very pricey.

I hear yah. Hey I love the Green Lantern and Flash, Hawkman but have always been generally disappointed with how their characters have been mis-used (Superman was possibly the case study for thius). I don't really know of many people here that actively collect GA Green Lantern books aside from the handful of select issues. Its a shame because its a direct result of DC butchering all those covers for way too long.

They are trying to revamp the Superman movie franchise, I sure hope the learned a few things from the latest Batman movie were produced. A Green Lantern movie would be ultra cool.

yes, I agree, Batman is in good hands with C. Nolan. I love Supes, but man did Singer give him alot of baggage that last movie with the kid and pining for Lois etc.. ok enough about that movie, let's hope the reboot is very good, and when they say "dark" let's hope they mean serious in tone, cuz Supes ain't suppose to be dark.

nice to see two boardies can have a decent conversation on here without flame wars. :grin:

dude out.

now back to the goofy covers !!!