• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEW? Restoration Technique Discovered on Raw Books...

23 posts in this topic

I've been processing a lot of comics lately that I've acquired from collection purchases over the last 8 years and today discovered something I've never seen or heard of before.

I was grading some Logan's Runs and when handling one particular book I "felt" a small area around the upper left hand corner icon/logo that was not completely flat. I couldn't understand why initially... as it was only present at the "little white burst" area (highlighted) within the aforementioned design.

I handled another... not flat at the same spot. hm(shrug)

OK... although very unlikely maybe there was a "printing" explanation. Maybe an opaque white was printed in that small spot for "some emphasis"... although I could not imagine it being important enough... especially considering the cost and difficulty.

Anyway, I moved on and later today after looking closer at some Tarzans... the answer became obvious.

:o :o :o"White Out Touch" :o :o :o ...

Anyone else encounter or hear of this before?

The white out stuck to the bags and resisted slightly when I removed them from the plastic that revealed the dirty deed. I went back and looked at another of the Logans' I had thrown in a dollar box stack and saw the guy really got out of hand on that one.

Kinda' funny really lol I guess the guy couldn't help but try and "cover up" the residue/stain left by labels/stickers placed in that area to re-price the books. I found other issues with the stickers that he could not remove.

I guess sooner or later you see everything

:roflmao:

64671.jpg.7836f6ae00804b3e6d1dcbe979a50edd.jpg

64674.jpg.38f5f01bf8813ecb41691fe948659d68.jpg

64675.jpg.67637b988ddf108212f1b8bb9cfc1ab1.jpg

bruce,

That is an old white out technique that butchered an Iron Man #1 cover where the white lettering is on "Iron." Guess the previous owner was trying to cover up a 9c grease pencil mark he could not completely :makepoint: Wonder Bread off?

I never heard of it before (or saw it on a CGC label) but I figured I didn't encounter the first instance.

Do you have a link to the Iron Man 1 you speak of... assuming it was a topic here?

Has anyone ever encountered a PLOD CGC book with a "White Out Touch" note?

Wow, Bruce, you found all my old Tarzans & Logan's runs! I did that to all my books!

;)doh!

Nah... your "eye-hand" coordination skills are fare more evolved and you'd have stayed within the areas... and maybe pulled it off.

Plus... there's no pumpkins and weird smiling mouths. I doubt strongly that you could start painting "in any way, shape or form" without rendering one or both. :kidaround:

I never heard of it before (or saw it on a CGC label) but I figured I didn't encounter the first instance.

Do you have a link to the Iron Man 1 you speak of... assuming it was a topic here?

I'm sure they just call it "color touch." Functionally, it's no different than color touching a white area with white acrylic paint.

I agree with Scott, maybe your thread should state - What type of color touch have you seen on books versus New restoration method.

You can add black eyeliner to your list.

Had a customer of mine admit that he used it to fix up tiny stress lines and that it did a great job while at my table buying a book. I clearly stated that I would NOT be buying his collection when he went to sell it.

I actually had to carry tissues which you can run along the spines of books if you suspect color touch other than professional/magic marker. Crayon and eyeliner are generally dull in appearance and generally rub right off. Seller has a hard time disputing when you are holding up a tissue with black dots all over it lol.

I'm sure they just call it "color touch." Functionally, it's no different than color touching a white area with white acrylic paint.

That makes sense. doh!

I suppose I thought it might be viewed differently since its not "paint" or "ink" but as Bob mentioned some people use "eye liner" (as black) instead of black paint... and I'm guessing that would get a generic "color touch" mention on a CGC label. So the source of the color is irrelevant.

I agree with Scott, maybe your thread should state - What type of color touch have you seen on books versus New restoration method.

You can add black eyeliner to your list.

Had a customer of mine admit that he used it to fix up tiny stress lines and that it did a great job while at my table buying a book. I clearly stated that I would NOT be buying his collection when he went to sell it.

I actually had to carry tissues which you can run along the spines of books if you suspect color touch other than professional/magic marker. Crayon and eyeliner are generally dull in appearance and generally rub right off. Seller has a hard time disputing when you are holding up a tissue with black dots all over it lol.

You did see the >?< after the word NEW in the title right?... so it was sorta' a question. It's certainly "New" to me.

:makepoint:

The good news is...the white out can be completly scraped off without damaging the book... ;)

Maybe not when it's been applied to larger areas heavily. Although some of the top portion adhered to the bag... the white-out remaining in most instances was on there pretty good. I tried to scratch at it but it did not budge. Luckily they are $2 to $3 dollar box material anyway.

I guessing that to many here, the "act or removing it" would be considered restoration too... so why bother.

I guessing that to many here, the "act or removing it" would be considered restoration too... so why bother.

Nah...your removing a contaminant that was not there at production...not restoration in my book...

I had 2 books with white-out on them and was able to get it off using my fingernail..hardly a restorative procedure...

Nah...your removing a contaminant that was not there at production...not restoration in my book...

I had 2 books with white-out on them and was able to get it off using my fingernail..hardly a restorative procedure...

Exactly... it's the next thing to booger flicking and we all know that's not restoration.

Exactly... it's the next thing to booger flicking and we all know that's not restoration.

Depends, maybe the booger was the correct shade of green and was used to cover up a flaw.

:sick:

Depends, maybe the booger was the correct shade of green and was used to cover up a flaw.

:sick:

I'm sorry, but I have to refer any in depth booger analysis to Billy Parker. He is also our resident Nestle's Crunch expert. (thumbs u