• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC graded books storage: Warning !

48 posts in this topic

I just cant see some books incuring damage and others didn't unless the bottom edges were vastly different and even then it would be the result of blunt impact as opposed to sitting in a box.

Didn't someone else (Bruce?) bring this up and also recommend you either lay them flat or with the spine down?

I don't know if i'm alone in this situation but after several years of being vertically stored, it seems that some of my comics now suffer from light damage at the bottom (like a mini SCS damage)... :(

I don't have the scans to prove what i'm saying now, i'll try to post them later.

I now have decided to store them horizontally (as shown in my HBD thread).

It sucks.

Well that is a bummer, I guess my question would be is it possible that these incured damage before being stored?, and you were just not aware of it until you looked closely upon taking the books out again after a period of time being stored.

I just cant see some books incuring damage and others didn't unless the bottom edges were vastly different and even then it would be the result of blunt impact as opposed to sitting in a box. That said the damage is still there, would like to see some scans when you get time.

Page quality. Inconsistent use of the plastic wedges. Differing sizes of books. There's your variables. :makepoint:

Thanks Dr. Obvious

I don't know if i'm alone in this situation but after several years of being vertically stored, it seems that some of my comics now suffer from light damage at the bottom (like a mini SCS damage)... :(

I don't have the scans to prove what i'm saying now, i'll try to post them later.

It sucks.

Well that is a bummer, I guess my question would be is it possible that these incured damage before being stored?, and you were just not aware of it until you looked closely upon taking the books out again after a period of time being stored.

I just cant see some books incuring damage and others didn't unless the bottom edges were vastly different and even then it would be the result of blunt impact as opposed to sitting in a box. That said the damage is still there, would like to see some scans when you get time.

Page quality. Inconsistent use of the plastic wedges. Differing sizes of books. There's your variables. :makepoint:

Thanks Dr. Obvious

You're the one who seems to be struggling here ("I just can't see some books incurring damage and others didn't") ... I'm just doing my part to help. (thumbs u

I just cant see some books incuring damage and others didn't unless the bottom edges were vastly different and even then it would be the result of blunt impact as opposed to sitting in a box.

Didn't someone else (Bruce?) bring this up and also recommend you either lay them flat or with the spine down?

I could see laying them flat as the way to go, (thats how I store them) Then again I dont have that many slabs so storage space isn't an issue for me.

That said most books don't really have fragile overhang on the bottom compared to the top, so it would not seem overly harmful for them to rest against the innerwell on the bottom edge, but apparently it does happen over time. (shrug)

It sucks.

Thanks Dr. Obvious

You're the one who seems to be struggling here ("I just can't see some books incurring damage and others didn't") ... I'm just doing my part to help. (thumbs u

Why do I have a feeling your stay here wont be too long

:roflmao:

It sucks.

Thanks Dr. Obvious

Why do I have a feeling your stay here wont be too long

:roflmao:

Why? Because everyone's so friendly?

My CGC graded comics were stored vertically in cardboard box standing on the wooden floor. Maybe the vibration of the steps (and the kids jumping & dancing in my office) could have caused such damage over time (shrug)

There also another explanation, i perhaps drank too much yesterday :insane:

My CGC graded comics were stored vertically in cardboard box standing on the wooden floor. Maybe the vibration of the steps (and the kids jumping & dancing in my office) could have caused such damage over time (shrug)

There also another explanation, i perhaps drank too much yesterday :insane:

Absolutely. That is likely what happened. The books sitting in a state of rest will not change much. Constant vibration is like tapping the slab in your hand...and lots of that would create damage over time.

I can draw a similar parallel with an automotive suspension part. When everything is tight and smooth all the parts will last a long time. As soon as one part loosens...or begins to wear, it begins to hammer over bumps and wear is much accelerated (almost exponantially) because of the added vibration or hammering. This will also cause accelerated wear on any components that are relying on the first part.

In short, vibration does in a short time what would other wise take *forever* to do at a stand still.

R.

excessive moving of the boxes would do it too. dropping heavy boxes down each time would add up pressing the bottoms of the books against the slab. Memo to self: dont buy a slab from a dealer stock thats been trucked all around the country!

Best suggestion would be to lay it flat on its back, and do not stack to many multiples on top of each other. If you are a collector who has many graded books and you need to conserve space for storage, it could get a little tricky. Don't worry about all the people on the boards who get insult friendly (no not pointing out anyone imparticular) it can be a tradition for posts made by new members that might seem obvious to everyone else. Trust me, I've gotten my fare share, but it doesnt bother me.