• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: My big news!

56 posts in this topic

I just had to share the news with my buddies.

I got official word today: The two books I proposed a few months ago have both been accepted for publication! Contracts are on the way, and very soon, I'm going to be spending the bulk of my time writing as I try to meet the publisher's deadline. I am one psyched lil puppy tonight. These will be my first books, and although they're not novels, it's still a dream come true for me.

-- Joanna

Thanks guys!

Will we still get to enjoy your writing talents pro bono, or will we have to ante up now that you're published?

New crisis updates may come out less often, but the payment will remain the same: feedback in the thread!

Congratulations! What kinds of books did you propose?

I had a big, long answer, but I just realized I'm probably not supposed to talk about the details of the projects yet. I have to find out how much I can say. I'll ask around and if it's okay to spill the beans, I will. I know that sounds stupidly mysterious, but it's primarily my own ignorance of how book publishing works (it's my first foray into that area of writing).

-- Joanna

Hey I got news, too! I got fired on Thursday! flamed.gif

I would have expected that a few weeks earlier, but at this point it came unexpected. They said my website looked like I was searching for another job, which was only mildly true.

At least it allowed me to book a flight to visit my fiancee in Iowa now. Will be flying in on Wednesday.

Later,

Jens

What genre...cookbooks? How-to guides on better carpentry? Literary fiction?

Body/mind/spirit -- if you're not familiar with it, it's a kind of self-help (that does not involve carpentry). I don't know much about the genre, but I had a contact in that part of publishing, and that's how the whole thing got started. I'm much better with fiction or comedy, but a book's a book!

-- Joanna

That's wonderful news Joanna!

Did displaying at the Frankfurt Book Fair have any impact?

Jim

Yes, there were several publishers who showed interest. My primary publisher, Hamlyn, is based in England, so they were at Frankfurt trying to find out if anyone wanted to copublish it (one of the interested publishers was Viking/Penguin, another was Simon and Shuster). If one of them decides to copublish, they'll take of the US sales. Otherwise, my publisher has a distribution deal with Barnes & Noble, so they can sell to the US through them. They don't need a copublisher, but it lessens the risk to have one. I won't know about copublishers for awhile. Things move slowly in publishing.

-- Joanna

I just had to share the news with my buddies.

I got official word today: The two books I proposed a few months ago have both been accepted for publication! Contracts are on the way, and very soon, I'm going to be spending the bulk of my time writing as I try to meet the publisher's deadline. I am one psyched lil puppy tonight. These will be my first books, and although they're not novels, it's still a dream come true for me.

-- Joanna

Way to chase and reach your goal (at least the beginning of it) Joanna, not many do... thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif