• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any interest in DragonCon in Atlanta?

13 posts in this topic

I'm actually here at the con right now. Well, it starts in the morning, but everyone's already trolling the hotels in full force and costume.

I was thinking about getting Adam West's sig on a nice silver/bronze age Batman, but ultimately decided that all my SS money's going for Eric Powell sigs! :)

I am not going. I was told it was a gaming freak show and that there were hardly any comics. Let me know if that is what you saw. I would only be interested in Silver and Bronze age High Grade books.

I know that there are a few dealers there, Like Dave's Comics & Crazy Ed. You are right , it is Not a comic book show, More like a gaming & autograph show. From what I was told , It is in 3 different rooms & 2 different hotels. Everything is divided, Guests are in one room, Exhibitors in another room & the dealers in another hotel.

It is mainly a Scf-Fi and Fantasy Con with celebrities from TV and Movies with a few comic artists mixed in. Two comic exhibitors that I know are always there are Crazy Ed and Heroes and Dragons. It's always fun to go see all the costumes

I know that there are a few dealers there, Like Dave's Comics & Crazy Ed. You are right , it is Not a comic book show, More like a gaming & autograph show. From what I was told , It is in 3 different rooms & 2 different hotels. Everything is divided, Guests are in one room, Exhibitors in another room & the dealers in another hotel.

The con actually spans 3 hotels. The dealers and comic artists are in one hotel, celebrities in another, and gaming in a third. Then, there are panels and workshops in all of the hotels. Dragon Con has definitely shifted focus in the last decade or so, becoming less of a comic show and more of a general geek-fest. There's definitely plenty of comics, though, for those of us who are here for them.

And for those of us that like to take pictures, there's plenty of scantily-clad ladies in their Poison Ivy costumes! lol

We have done the show every year up until last year. A lot of attendees didnt even know there were other hotels with more stuff in them. Try to check out the Dawn costume contest. Tell Joe Linsner and Zeke who works there, the guys from hotflips said hello.

Grew up watching Batman on TV in 1966. Adam West was MY Batman for all these years. Always wanted to meet him in person. I knew time was running out since his show appearances have diminished so that was my main goal in going today.

AdamWest2008.jpg

Finally got "my grail" :cloud9:

I went today and caught the parade early in the morning. Lots and lots of costumes. I like comics but it makes you wonder where all these people (all age ranges) come from and how they get involved in such obscure hobbies (zombies, vampires, dragons, military, apocalypse, etc). The lobbys of the hotels were jammed with people. Yesterday was busy but today was jam-packed. I was done by around 3PM.

I went thru the comics room and spoke to Crazy Ed and Jerald Garner (Comic Books from Seneca, SC). Jerald had some Golden age on his rack that was nice (Wonder Woman, All Star, All-American) and some high grade silver. They all definitely had customers but weren't overly crowded. Heroes and Dragons, Titans, and a few others had booths. I resisted buying anything......

The Walk of Fame had lots of celebrities. My favorite and most genuine that I visited was George Takai from Star Trek. He was very conversational. I also met Jayson Kyson Lee (Heroes) and Lance Henrickson (Millenium, Aliens, etc). Lance was extremely jovial and fun opposite Frank Black character who he played in the dark Millenium series. I also tried to speak with Mickey Dolenz (Monkees) and Phil Morris (Smallville, Star Trek, Seinfield) who seemed like they couldn't be bothered (Morris texting on his cell phone while his manager told us to go outside and buy tickets if we wanted a picture).

I attended a hour Q & A session with Adam West. Afterwards I went up to him on the Walk of Fame. He also was nice but had the "couldn't be bothered" and bored look on his face. It was disappointing that the stars were not as excited to see me as I were them...lol.

It seems that the emphasis of the stars appearances are more with the money than with meeting the fans which is disappointing. I'm sure this is just for a certain few.

I saw Bernie Wrightson, Mark Texiera, and Brian Stelfreeze in the artist's room. Brian was the friendliest of the three and was sketching for his fans.